Bears thread

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

Bears thread

Postby Brett » Aug Thu 25, 2016 10:35 pm

I'm a pretty big Bears fan, figure I'm not the only one. How are you guys feeling about the season coming up? I think we will have a pretty average record, long shot to get into the playoffs partly because of the division we are in. I'm really excited to watch the front seven on D. That is where they have been building the foundation of the team and I think this will be the year the Bears D reestablishes itself. Hicks, Goldman, and Bullard have the potential to become the best defensive line in the league in my opinion (also sounds like a law firm). Maybe Deiondre Hall will surprise us in the secondary like Adrian Amos did last year. Offense a lot will depend on the line which is starting to look shaky with injuries. It will be fun to see Kevin White get to play, hopefully the running backs too. Can't wait for football!
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Bears thread

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Aug Thu 25, 2016 10:44 pm

Agree with all you said. Lol. Speaking of football.... we up for having a wcf fantasy league? I'll run it for those interested. Gotta start it soon. 25 dollar or 50 dollar buy in? Pm me if anyone has interest. Both my leagues are gone this year so I gotta get into a fantasy league...
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Aug Fri 26, 2016 8:21 am

Bears will have to get a huge year out of Jeremy Langford. Also need Zach Miller to be healthy but that is unlikely considering hes had more concussions then any two people should have in their lifetime and is still recovering from his last one. Assuming Kevin White turns out to be the 7th overall we hoped for and Alshon stays healthy, theres no reason Jay cutler & Co. cant put up some good fantasy numbers this season.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Aug Fri 26, 2016 8:50 am

Can't wait for football!

Football = Ice fishing

Not ready for either yet :cry:

Bears below 500. Cutler is worthless and over paid.

Go Cubs !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Aug Fri 26, 2016 8:51 am

Been a Bears fan a long, long time. Remember when they played at Wrigley. Watched old man Halas coach his last game. Watched Bobby Douglass try to remember plays. Heard Abe Gibron sign "Jeremiah Had a Bullfrog" (poorly). Had a season ticket from 1975 to 1991. Saw the good, the great, the bad, the terrible and the just plain ugly.

Not much hope for the current bunch. They still (what's new) need a QB. I doubt they'll be a consistent contender until the McCaskey's sell the team. So it will be a long, long time...
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coyote » Aug Fri 26, 2016 12:00 pm

Im a Packer Backer till the end, do pay a bit of attention to the Teddy Bears.....one thing that sticks out at me is they have the worst running back tandem in the league.
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Aug Fri 26, 2016 12:24 pm

coyote wrote:Im a Packer Backer till the end, do pay a bit of attention to the Teddy Bears.....one thing that sticks out at me is they have the worst running back tandem in the league.

Supposedly... I expect Jeremy Langford to have a hell of a year, though. If they didn't see something in the kid(even I saw some damn good flashes of talent last year), I doubt they would have let Forte walk. Speaking of terrible running backs... is Eddie Lacy down from that 350lb mark yet? :lol:

Guy looked god awful last year. The whole Packers running game in general looked god awful last year.

BTW, Langford had more touchdowns than Lacy. And only 200 less yards on 40 less attempts. While playing second fiddle to Forte... Oh, and 3 less TD's than both Starks and Lacy combined...

This is all in good fun, btw. Something about a Bears-Packers rivalry or some such thing.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Fri 26, 2016 12:36 pm

In general I hate the Pack. Had a lot of respect for the old Bart Starr teams and I still root for them whenever they play the Cowboys (REALLY hate the f'ing Cowboys). But like I said, hate the Pack in general.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Aug Fri 26, 2016 12:54 pm

coyote wrote:do pay a bit of attention to the Teddy Bears.....

Good one Image
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby coyote » Aug Fri 26, 2016 2:51 pm

Yes Lacy sucked last year , i would have benched him too. I think Langford was the worst rated RB in the league after the original hit on him. I think its called yards after hit for a Rb......in other words not much in the way of toughness and gritt.Agree all in good fun. i would never get all worked up over any sports teams....real life is so much more important. I really only care to watch games if there is some money on them.
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Aug Fri 26, 2016 3:15 pm

coyote wrote:Yes Lacy sucked last year , i would have benched him too. I think Langford was the worst rated RB in the league after the original hit on him. I think its called yards after hit for a Rb......in other words not much in the way of toughness and gritt.Agree all in good fun. i would never get all worked up over any sports teams....real life is so much more important. I really only care to watch games if there is some money on them.

Yeah, yards after hit. Or yards after contact. Something like that. He's never been known to be that bruiser that punishes and runs between the tackles, though. He'd rather bounce it outside or make lateral moves. His thing is similar to Forte. He's good out in space, and around the edge, and has good speed and acceleration when he gets in a hole or out in the open. Good burst. He's real shifty and tough to tackle. He's not your prototypical bruiser type of back that just rolls people over. More finesse, IMO, again, much like Forte was. And his hands looked pretty good last year too, as far as catching passes out of the backfield goes. He's actually played some WR. You gotta watch some of his Michigan State highlights to appreciate where and how he does his work.

I'm excited to see how he does when the starting role is his full-time.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby EAS » Aug Fri 26, 2016 4:31 pm

I love the Bears and the NFL in general. It keeps people in couch-potato mode and I've got a lot of good stretches of the Fox to myself on Sundays! I couldn't tell you stat #1 about the Bears, but could probably tell you the details of of every fish photo I've taken for the last 20 years. 8)
EAS

Postby ffishman » Aug Fri 26, 2016 5:35 pm

To early to tell how they are going to do. Only good thing, Fox has a good eye for talent. Hopefully he picked up some diamonds in the rough and they will shine.
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FishinMatt » Aug Fri 26, 2016 5:41 pm

I think Langford is decent and will do okay. To me, the real problem is Cutler. I was excited to get him at first but now know why Denver got rid of him. Bears will never win anything with him at the helm.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Brett » Aug Fri 26, 2016 5:44 pm

ffishman wrote:To early to tell how they are going to do. Only good thing, Fox has a good eye for talent. Hopefully he picked up some diamonds in the rough and they will shine.

Fox and Fangio between them have drafted and developed Julius Peppers, Von Miller, and Aldon Smith. A lot of people didn't like the Floyd pick but with a track record like that its hard to argue with them. I'm liking what I see so far. Bullard will be a stud too, a lot of GMs will regret letting him slip to the third round. I'm really pulling for Deiondre Hall to step up at corner. I'm getting tired of waiting for Fuller to show up.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby sully99 » Aug Fri 26, 2016 10:00 pm

This sums it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spring Grove
Native Ultimate 14.5
sully99
Fishing Fanatic

Postby FishinMatt » Aug Sat 27, 2016 12:41 pm

I hate the Pack but have always admired them. Perennially they are good and always seem to be at their best at the end of the year. Kind of like the Cardinals to the Cubs, although not as much this year. Go Cubs!
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby JasonN » Aug Sat 27, 2016 12:57 pm

I've probably never been less interested in the Bears than this season. Perhaps in part because in full Cubs mode and likely will be for a couple more months, but the Bears are so bland and just not interesting.

7-9 at the very best.

Regardless of the thoughts on Cutler, if he goes down, the Bears have almost no chance of winning.
Jason W. Norris
Managing Editor - WindyCityFishing.com
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Postby J.W. » Aug Sat 27, 2016 12:59 pm

I don't think the Bears will be doing much this year, and I don't think the coaches really expect much out of the team this year -- even though you'll never hear them say that. The NFL has a quick turnaround (unlike MLB), but the Bears will be in development mode for a while, trying to get all the young guys experience and conditioning, and see who is who. I like the Floyd pick, and White has some talent, but too many unproven young guys that are variables. To see Forte and Bennett go will really hurt that offense. Those two were the only thing moving the chains on Jay's audibles, which were far too often to begin with. Hopefully Loggains can keep Jay's head screwed on tight, and the rapport will pick up where Gase left off. Too many OCs in constant flux to expect anything competitive, let alone Jay with a bunch of young guys. Also, I don't know what Fox did at camp this year, but something must have been changed for so many guys to be getting injured. I like the people running the show, but this bunch will be for the true Bears fans only I'm afraid, as the constant development will be the only thing to watch.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby Brett » Aug Sat 27, 2016 1:38 pm

Starters didn't look so hot in the first half just now against KC. Considering 13 reserves have to be cut by next week I'm hoping to see more out of them in the second half.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Aug Sat 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Yea cutler minus 7 yards passing in the first half. My opinion is the same as the day brought him in from Denver. Shock and dismay. A career loser. Only thing stinkier then his NFL career is his Vandy career. Your either a winner or a loser there is nothing inbetween. He falls in the loser camp dont be fulled by an occasional good game.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Aug Sat 27, 2016 3:07 pm

I was getting excited about Connor Shaw at QB these past two games. They just took him off on the cart...
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby wiktor911 » Aug Mon 29, 2016 7:43 am

EAS wrote:I love the Bears and the NFL in general. It keeps people in couch-potato mode and I've got a lot of good stretches of the Fox to myself on Sundays! I couldn't tell you stat #1 about the Bears, but could probably tell you the details of of every fish photo I've taken for the last 20 years. 8)

Haha awesome
wiktor911
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Aug Mon 29, 2016 8:01 am

JasonN wrote:I've probably never been less interested in the Bears than this season. Perhaps in part because in full Cubs mode and likely will be for a couple more months, but the Bears are so bland and just not interesting.

What he said.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Aug Mon 29, 2016 8:07 am

JasonN wrote:I've probably never been less interested in the Bears than this season. Perhaps in part because in full Cubs mode and likely will be for a couple more months, but the Bears are so bland and just not interesting.

I agree.

With the refusal of John Fox to say anything interesting EVER and their acting as if preseason games are an inconvenience, the Bears are basically telling everyone "don't pay attention to us." Overall, I have little interest in the NFL due all garbage of the last 5 years and I don't actively pay attention at all but if you listen to sports talk radio in Chicago you can't help but get an onslaught of Bears talk. I enjoyed the Trestman era since it was so entertaining but this new regime is just so boring. I hope for you guys they go 10-6 and make the playoffs but that is about it. Bring on October for the Cubs and the Blackhawks.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Sep Thu 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Pretty decent first half against the Browns. You want to say who cares its the Browns but Cleveland played a lot of their starters in the first half against our reserves and guys who will be looking for real jobs next week.

The good: Hoyer had a great half, Kevin White making long catches, Deiondre Hall continues to shine. Bullard and Floyd making big plays. Braverman showed up too a bit.

The bad: Robbie Gould missed an extra point. He's gone from one of the best kickers in history to sort of struggling last year and has missed a 40 yarder and an extra point so far this pre season. One of my favorite players but the longer it goes on the more you have to wonder.

Anyone else watching?
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Sep Thu 01, 2016 10:23 pm

Excellent game overall. Highlight of the second half was Jordan Howard gaining 100+ yards including a nice pass reception and a touchdown run. I know a lot of people are down on the Bears but I think they are going to surprise. Saying it now.

Robbie Gould another extra point. Bad hold this time but still wow...
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Sep Fri 02, 2016 8:48 am

Brett wrote:Anyone else watching?

Total waste of ones time....... IMHO

If they are 6 - 10 this year I'll be shocked.

Cutler.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby ffishman » Sep Fri 02, 2016 4:29 pm

The first string sure has to work out some kinks. I think the talent is there, just getting everybody on the same page is the thing.
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Sep Mon 05, 2016 12:40 am

Big roster moves Sunday.

- Signed recently released Packers All-Pro Guard Josh Sitton which significantly elevates one of our main areas of concern, offensive line. Take that, Coyote. It will be interesting to see what happens with Cody Whitehair. He will compete for and probably win the center job this year, but Grasu will return from injury next year. Whitehair can play anywhere on the line really so it gives a lot of flexibility to play the best players.

- Released Robbie Gould :shock: Gould is a Bears all time great and its sad to see, but he was starting to get a little shaky.

- Signed Connor Barth to replace Gould. He was recently released by the Saints and has ties to Ryan Pace. Also comparable stats to Gould.

- They made some other moves, switching an offensive lineman, tight end , and cornerback from the original 53 man roster for guys released by other teams. I forget who they were lol. Also assigned 7 guys or so the practice squad including Braverman and Braunecker.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Flipper999 » Sep Mon 05, 2016 6:53 am

Sitton signing is huge. Kyle Long extension to be announced soon. Money had to come from somewhere so goodbye Robbie. I woke this morning feeling like Pace might actually know what he is doing. Imo the Sitton signing is worth 2 wins. 8-8 or 9-7 this year.
Flipper999
Game Fish

Postby ffishman » Sep Mon 05, 2016 7:51 am

Good moves, but....... Sitton has had back problems, are they more severe than the team let on?? If it was just a money move, then its a great deal. As for Gould, he was the best, but after he was hurt a couple of years ago, he never returned to his once perfect self.
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FishinMatt » Sep Mon 05, 2016 11:40 am

Packers are smart. Release Sitton from a big contract when they start noticing decline. Straight out of the Patriots playbook.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Brett » Sep Mon 05, 2016 12:04 pm

FishinMatt wrote:Packers are smart. Release Sitton from a big contract when they start noticing decline. Straight out of the Patriots playbook.

Agreed. He is still a major improvement to an already injury hampered Bears line, we signed him for 3 years $21.75 mil, $10 mil guaranteed, plenty of cap space left. Our long term solution at left guard is 2nd rounder Cody Whitehair, but our center Hroniss Grasu is out for the year and his replacement Ted Larsen is awful. The Sitton signing allows us to move Whitehair to center to compete with Larsen for the time being. Then eventually Sitton declines, doesn't cost much, Whitehair to LG and Grasu to C.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Sep Sun 11, 2016 3:33 pm

Pathetic
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Caught at Dawn » Sep Sun 11, 2016 3:35 pm

What part of it? The fact that cutler got sacked every time he dropped back in the second half or the fact that they actually had the lead at half all through the air against a really good defense?
"There is something else I am after, out here in the wild. I am searching for an even more elusive prey . . . something that can only be found through the help of wilderness. I am looking for my heart."
John Eldredge, Wild at Heart.
Caught at Dawn
Game Fish

Postby Brett » Sep Sun 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Rough loss but not such a discouraging game. Score should have been 19-14 but the officials gave Houston a first down on a QB sneak where Ostweiler went nowhere (I'm assuming Houston would have made a fied goal).

It's a young team that hasn't played together yet. Sitton wasn't on our team a week ago. We still played well enough to lead for the first half against a very highly ranked defense and Brock Osweiler who looked pretty damn good today. Leonard Floyd looked great, some big run stops and his first sack with Goldman which came close to removing Ostweiler's helmet. Clearly messed him up for the rest of the drive. Deiondre Hall continues to play well. Did get burned by a guy with a 4.3 40 yard dash but successfully defended the same guy multiple times. Eddie Royal put up numbers and can still walk. We have a relatively weak schedule this year and I think we showed today we can execute at a fairly high level, just need to be consistent.

Kevin White did not play well. Mental mistakes. Would have liked to have heard from Bullard and Howard as well.

Green Bay game was close vs. Jacksonville. I bet we split with you guys at a minimum this year.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Sep Sun 11, 2016 8:56 pm

Yawn, was folding laundry in the 2nd half and watching bears at same time. I don't know which was more boring but the combination caused me to doze off.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby threeats407 » Sep Mon 12, 2016 7:36 am

My Bears interest has been on the slide for a few years now along with the whole Pro league. I kinda like college ball better and by Sunday I am footballed out. Plus I have ZERO interest this year in even considering turning a Pro game on until after the kickoff and the anthem has been played.
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby ffishman » Sep Mon 12, 2016 7:49 am

Kevin White, a college graduate and he cannot remember plays from the playbook. Interesting.
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Caught at Dawn » Sep Mon 12, 2016 8:01 am

ffishman wrote:Kevin White, a college graduate and he cannot remember plays from the playbook. Interesting.

Agreed he had a full season to do nothing but rehab and read the play book. But then again it is always easier to learn through the motions and not via the book.
"There is something else I am after, out here in the wild. I am searching for an even more elusive prey . . . something that can only be found through the help of wilderness. I am looking for my heart."
John Eldredge, Wild at Heart.
Caught at Dawn
Game Fish

Postby coyote » Sep Mon 12, 2016 8:02 am

Texans wideout dropped td pass i know i would have caught , he catches that it would have been blowout . Forte was missed hugely in this game .
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Sep Mon 12, 2016 9:21 am

Tough loss with the rest of the division winning.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Sep Mon 12, 2016 10:29 am

Results were exactly what I expected. Once Houston started doubled teaming Alshon it was all over.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Sep Mon 12, 2016 12:26 pm

Skifish1 wrote:Yawn, was folding laundry in the 2nd half and watching bears at same time. I don't know which was more boring but the combination caused me to doze off.

BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby urbanHog312 » Sep Mon 12, 2016 1:25 pm

its a fisherman's win in my book. now i know i wont be missing anything on sunday afternoons when were out catching those hungry autumn bass :lol:
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Sep Mon 12, 2016 1:26 pm

Oh - and BTW, I stopped watching & went to the DPR to wet a line.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby WaterGuy » Sep Mon 12, 2016 9:34 pm

I went in to the season thinking we were mediocre and didn't see anything to change that. Seems like every year, there are 4 or 5 elite teams, 4 or 5 really bad teams, and a whole lot of who the hell knows in the middle. I think the Bears fall into that latter category. Don't think they are quite as bad as the national media guys are predicting, but that 2nd half was brutal. Houston's D is gonna wreck alot of game plans this year though. We'll see..long season still ahead.
WaterGuy
2013 WCF Fantasy Football Champion

Postby Brett » Sep Mon 19, 2016 6:51 pm

Monday Night Football! I wish they still had that guy sing the are you ready for some football song. I sure am. Philadelphia sports fans are a bit on the skeevy side would you say? Hoping the defense gives Wentz a little dose of reality and the offense takes care of the rest (including >8.2 fantasy points for Alshon, I'm paired up against my boss this week and its all I need to win).

Bearce.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coyote » Sep Tue 20, 2016 4:53 am

Had enough of the Jeremy Langford experiment yet ? My Catholic Grade School Nuns hit harder than the hit he took to fumble the ball. Hey Toby Frickin Gearhart is a free agent i still believe. Fox will be booted by the end of the season.
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Next

Return to WindyCityTavern