Bears thread

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

Re: Bears thread

Postby J.W. » Apr Fri 28, 2017 3:17 pm

Surprised I'm the first to comment on this. What do you guys think about Pace's move to get that franchise QB?? Only time will tell, but I'm not a fan of how things went down. I'm happy they finally drafted a QB, but to give up ALL those draft picks, especially when they probably didn't have to and also have lots of other holes to fill, only to get a QB with such a small sample size in a bad draft class seems like paranoia more than anything. Unless this guy is a future top 5'er in the league, I think this will be the nail in the coffin eventually for Pace's first GM job.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby ffishman » Apr Fri 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Like you said, only time will tell. I am on the fence about it. He is the "A" typical type, but, can he do it. Have to wait and see.
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Apr Fri 28, 2017 4:58 pm

When a team trades up to get you and you have no clue they did cause there was no communication? WTF is that :evil: I think they call that NFL STEALTHING?
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Apr Fri 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Did the Bears do something? Huh, guess I missed it. Cubbies are playing. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rich D » Apr Fri 28, 2017 6:20 pm

I don't mind the pick as much as the move up.

Would have prefered a line of thinking such as, "If he is there at three, then take him. Else take next best player...".

I'm afraid they sacrificed too much.
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Brett » Apr Fri 28, 2017 10:32 pm

I'm a fan of the move overall. For less than we coughed up for Cutler we have 2 viable QBs on the roster. The teams that took the 2 QBs after Trubisky both gave up next year's first rounders. QBs are expensive and hard to come by. We traded down in the second today and got some extra picks this year and next to cover part of what we gave to move up in the first. I wanted Obi Melifonwu today in the 2nd but happy with Sheehan. 6'6 280 pound TE with one of the more athletic TE combine performances. Former basketball player. Should be interesting. I'm hoping for Zane Gonzalez too, the record setting kicker.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Apr Sat 29, 2017 8:03 am

I hated it!!!
To me, it looks like Ryan Pace got schooled by the rookie G.M. of the 49'ers, & the rest of the league is lauging about it. My hope had been for the bears to trade DOWN from #3, but, if they stayed there I was hoping for 1 of the DB prospects ( Adams, Hooker, Lattimore). The bears have way too many holes in the roster to have 4 picks tied up in 1 (highly unproven) player. Even if Trubisky winds up being worthy of his draft position, the bears do not have:
-a coaching staff in place with a track record of developing QB's(Fox/Fangio DO have some history of developing DB's, however)
-an OL capable of protecting a QB
-a proven receiver for him to throw the ball to.

To me, this has all the makings of Cade McNown 2.0.
Stumbled across this list of QB's that were acquired via draft pick trades in the 1st round. While there are a few cases where it could be argued it was worth it, the list is largely depressing

Image-

Will be a bears fan til the day I die, but damn, they sure make it tough!
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Flipper999 » Apr Sat 29, 2017 5:03 pm

Time will tell but Pace either has righted the ship or set the Bears back at least 5 years. The McCaskey's must be in his corner because I can't see this draft helping a whole lot next season.
Flipper999
Game Fish

Postby ffishman » Apr Sat 29, 2017 5:19 pm

Rambler wrote:Did the Bears do something? Huh, guess I missed it. Cubbies are playing. :D

Isn't a cub a bear??
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Apr Sat 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Stupid. Seeing that likely he would still be there at pick number 3 it's stupid what they gave up in 3rd and 4th rounds to get him. If they didnt trade up one position and let's say he was taken you still have some stellar number 3 picks. Then take the DE monster you need defensive play makers. Stupid, you could get some needed starters that hang with the team in the rounds they gave up. Team is too Shitty to give up picks to move up one spot.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Tue 02, 2017 8:49 am

Once again let me say it. There is absolutely NO HOPE for this team as long as the McKaskey's own it. NONE, ZERO, ZILCH. They are imbeciles.

Selling the franchise to someone who knows how to run a professional sports organization is the only way they will ever succeed. Until then they'll continue to frustrate fans, stagger around like drunks and (like all blind squirrels) find a nut once in a while. It'd almost enough (but not quite) to make me root for the Pack. But it is enough to make me root for the Steelers.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Tue 02, 2017 10:23 am

Pace is the one running the show now, though, Rambler. He actually seems to know what the hell he's doing.

And as far as the "Traded up when they didn't need to" talk, there's a lot coming out now(a few days after the draft, per usual) that says the Bears schooled the Browns, and that there were numerous teams interested in trading for SF's 2nd OA to pick up Trubisky. The reports come from Adam Schefter, which is one of the most in-the-know guys in the NFL, with a LOT of legitimate contacts around the league.

I'm fine with the move, and the pick.

Trubisky could be the franchise QB that this organization has been longing for. Only time will tell. But I'm ok with it. Run Glennon out there while letting MT develop for a season, and if you lose a lot, then you continue to tank and pick in the top 5 OA next year again, and you already have your QB at that point, so you can go stud defender or OL, and be ready with Trubisky to start the 2018-2019 season.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » May Tue 02, 2017 10:38 am

Agreed. All the doom and gloom stuff is mostly just clickbait. The team was a couple dropped passes away from 5-11 last year, and that's with a record setting rate of injury and 3 different QBs. Now we have moved on from Jay and have 2 prospects we didn't sell the farm for. Grab the cajones and stay the course...
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rich D » May Tue 02, 2017 10:54 am

I dunno...

Looks like precious little talent by a team with needs at so many positions.

Taking the risks on small-school players seems a luxury better afforded to more stable franchises with less pressing needs, IMHO.

Another running back???

x2 on the MaCaskeys.
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby J.W. » May Tue 02, 2017 5:10 pm

I don't think any of the other teams had enough to give up to the 49ers to get Trubisky, interest or not. Peter King with Monday Morning Quarterback wrote a good article detailing how it all went down, from the SF war room, and if anybody got schooled, it was the Bears and Ryan Pace by John Lynch, a first year GM. They were as confused as anyone why the Bears would give up so much just to secure (needlessly, I might add) the 2nd pick to get Trubisky, after signing Mike Glennon to a healthy contract and INVITING HIM TO PUBLICLY ATTEND A DRAFT PARTY WHERE THE BEARS PUNK HIM BY DRAFTING HIS REPLACEMENT. Pace is just all over the map, and is just not very self aware, which is probably due to his inexperience. He was always known more for his free agent signing skills in New Orleans, not his drafting senses, and for a team that has holes all over the freakin roster, it seems like a ton of risk, and the only scenario that warrants it is if Trubisky ends up a top 5 NFL QB, which is anything but certain. I definitely hope it works out, but man, what a peculiar draft for a team in football hell.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby coyote » May Tue 02, 2017 5:16 pm

JW agree so much , Glennon has to feel like shit. What a way to make your starting QB have a attitude to start the season.
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » May Tue 02, 2017 8:41 pm

The notion that Glennon is offended by all of this is IMO absurd. He signed a contract that guarantees him $19.5M, with $18M of it coming this year. This is effectiveley a one year contract and a pretty surefire indictator that you aren't being promised the gig over long haul. It follows that if he doesn't perform someone else will get a shot and it requires no explanation that that someone isn't Mark Sanchez. Glennon and his camp fully expected a QB to be drafted, maybe figuring it would be a round or two later than it was. The idea that Trubisky somehow must become the starter at some point doesn't make sense either. If Glennon earns his keep and Trubisky is that good he can be traded for more than we gave up for him. Pace consistently hires multiple guys to create competition and QB is no different.

We also aren't as thin talent wise as people think. We literally set a record for how much time guys missed last year due to injury. We just released guys who were starting games for us in the secondary last year, lol.

The small school picks 3 is kind of a lot. Shaheen I totally agree with. That guy is a genetic freak that isn't available every year, he was on a lot of boards in the second round. And you have to give Pace's judgement a little credit for Jordan Howard in the 5th last year.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » May Tue 02, 2017 8:44 pm

You could spin it anyway you want but bottom line is you dont give up two 3rd round players and a 4th round player to move up one spot and take a guy that there was a greater than 50% chance would be available in pick 3 anyways. If you didn't want the monster DE from a genius school like Stanford your better off even trading down to get 2 or 3 extra players from rounds 2 thru 4. I'd even rather give up the 1st round pick all together and have 7 players from rounds 2 through 4 (keep the 3 picks you gave up plus grab 4 more early round players by giving up your 3rd pick in the first round).

Stupid which is why folks were speechless when it was announced during the draft live. I could care less that everyone ranked the bears 2017 draft as the worse, just use your own judgment. Stupid.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » May Tue 02, 2017 8:58 pm

Skifish1 wrote:You could spin it anyway you want but bottom line is you dont give up two 3rd round players and a 4th round player to move up one spot and take a guy that there was a greater than 50% chance would be available in pick 3 anyways. If you didn't want the monster DE from a genius school like Stanford your better off even trading down to get 2 or 3 extra players from rounds 2 thru 4. I'd even rather give up the 1st round pick all together and have 7 players from rounds 2 through 4 (keep the 3 picks you gave up plus grab 4 more early round players by giving up your 3rd pick in the first round).

Stupid which is why folks were speechless when it was announced during the draft live. I could care less that everyone ranked the bears 2017 draft as the worse, just use your own judgment. Stupid.

If you use the Jerry Jones chart that assigns point values to each pick for the purposes of quantifying their values for trades (which has been pretty standard in the NFL since the 90s), it was an even swap. It was a deep draft and trading down was the strategy I was advocating for before the draft. One critique of that strategy though was most of the depth was on the defensive side of the ball, particularly DBs. Keep in mind we spent 6 picks on defense last year and this is an all around rebuild so we need offense at some point. Also, Vic Fangio's systems tend to devalue DBs in favor of front seven guys. I could go on but ultimately we just have to wait and see. We haven't had a fricking QB since Jim McMahon (he wasn't spectacular either), now we take a couple of shots and the fans are still complaining. I imagine this to be what marriage is like. I guess the Bears fans are just conditioned frustration and management incompetence. This I can not blame them for.

Also as far noone else being able to trade up with SF, not true at all. Cleveland is absolutely loaded with picks this year and next, and were the ones rumored to want Trubisky prior to the draft. They were also the ones Pace was ingeniously shopping our 3rd pick to while talking about trading for 2 with Lynch, to create a smoke screen.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ffishman » May Wed 03, 2017 7:23 am

interesting item in the paper, his college coach said Glennon is/was the most accurate passer he has ever seen.
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » May Wed 03, 2017 7:26 am

Cleveland picked first, so if Pace was truly worried about them taking Trubisky, then trading to get pick 2 was pointless. With Bears already at 3, no other team could have offered enough to still guarantee SF could get Garrett, Thomas, or Foster. It was a perfect fleecing on the niners' part. Also, Glennon was quoted as saying he felt "like he was cheated on."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2707 ... bisky-pick
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Wed 03, 2017 7:58 am

J.W. wrote:Cleveland picked first, so if Pace was truly worried about them taking Trubisky, then trading to get pick 2 was pointless. With Bears already at 3, no other team could have offered enough to still guarantee SF could get Garrett, Thomas, or Foster. It was a perfect fleecing on the niners' part. Also, Glennon was quoted as saying he felt "like he was cheated on."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2707 ... bisky-pick

Cleveland had two 1st round picks. They had #1 overall, and then #12. There was no way they were passing on Garrett. So they needed to take Trubisky with their second pick in the 1st round as everyone knew they were high on him. They knew that Trubisky wouldn't be there at 12, so they were trying to trade down to 3 with the Bears.(a smoke screen by Pace while he negotiated with SF for the #2OA to take Trubisky). This was genius by Pace in order to get the guy he wanted. If he's not negotiating with Cleveland for the #3, they're negotiating with SF for the #2, and swooping in to grab Trubisky with the #2 that they acquired from SF for the #12 and others. SF would have traded the #2 for the #12 + other picks. There's no question about it.

This is all being widely reported now. It's also being reported(even by SF management) that there were numerous teams with an interest in the #2 pick from them, and the target of said teams interested in that pick wanted Trubisky.

As far as Glennon being "cheated" on. He was brought in on a deal that only guarantees one year... He knew that the Bears were going to draft a QB. Everyone knew they would grab one at some point in this draft. If he didn't expect this... then he has more problems than a QB competition, that's for sure. He should have his head examined. And honestly, if all this shit about him crying the way he has is true... then he needs to sack up and act like a Pro. He's a professional NFL QB. Not some highschool kid that didn't make Varsity. Take a page out of Romo's book, who got injured this past season, and lost his starting job(a LONG TIME starting job) to a rookie named Dak Prescott. Did you see him crying to the media like a baby?

Glennon was a stop-gab brought in to possibly be a serviceable QB while the Bears develop one. Plain and simple. He was guaranteed 1 year of his deal, indicating the Bears had the intention of drafting a QB, and if said QB was ready by 2018-2019, then Glennon would only get his one year guarantee and would be moved to allow their drafted starter to take over.

SF could likely still guarantee one of Foster, Garrett, or Thomas if they trade down to Cleveland's 12 based upon the needs of the other teams between #1-#12. And it just so happens... SF got both of Thomas and Foster... even with having #3 and #31 instead of #12 and #31.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Wed 03, 2017 8:37 am

Brett wrote:The notion that Glennon is offended by all of this is IMO absurd. He signed a contract that guarantees him $19.5M, with $18M of it coming this year.

Yep. If he thought he was "the quarterback of the future" shame on him. He gets to play and hopefully teach the new kid how it's done. Then he gets to play out his career somewhere else or retire & never have to worry again.

Re my previous comment. I hope I'm wrong. But after 50+ years of watching all this nonsense go on (with the one bright, shining moment of Jim Finks' GM-ship) I just can't come to any other conclusion.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » May Wed 03, 2017 8:54 am

Ahh yes football in the fall. A perfect time for me to be on the river catching pike.
~JOE~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Wed 03, 2017 9:29 am

joetrain wrote:Ahh yes football in the fall. A perfect time for me to be on the river catching pike.

I always know'd you was smart. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby FishinMatt » May Wed 03, 2017 12:07 pm

I have been reading some of the post draft grades and one thing the experts agree on is the Bears had the worst draft. Either Pace is the smartest guy in the room and he pulled out a top 5 QB, or the experts are all right. With a straight face I can't give the Bears organization the benefit of the doubt. I have not been a fan as long as Rambler, but I have seen 30 or so years of the same thing. Mostly misses and lots of picks from smaller schools with the Bears hiding behind the "best athlete" excuse.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Wed 03, 2017 12:11 pm

FishinMatt wrote:I have been reading some of the post draft grades and one thing the experts agree on is the Bears had the worst draft. Either Pace is the smartest guy in the room and he pulled out a top 5 QB, or the experts are all right. With a straight face I can't give the Bears organization the benefit of the doubt. I have not been a fan as long as Rambler, but I have seen 30 or so years of the same thing. Mostly misses and lots of picks from smaller schools with the Bears hiding behind the "best athlete" excuse.

In Pace's defense, last year's draft looks great, and people even upgraded their opinion/grade on it a year later. I'd give last year's draft an A as of this moment.
And... you can't ever grade a draft days after it happens. I never pay attention to them until a year later. Most the time, it'll be 2-3 years before a proper grade can be given to it. And it's simply because professional sports players take time to develop into what they will ultimately become. Especially football players. Just my opinion on it. But I don't put much stock into "expert grades" less than a week after a draft.

I will say... I hope Trubisky works out, and silences all the critics. And it'll be fun to watch the massive amount of people eat crow on it, if that comes to be.

I mean... Chicago fans booed Trubisky when he was announced/appeared at the Bulls game like the day after he was drafted. That's pathetic, and I'm honestly ashamed of my fellow Chicagoans for something like that. It's disgusting. Don't even give the kid a chance. Nothing like knocking a guy down who hasn't even stood up yet...
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » May Wed 03, 2017 12:37 pm

The reason i believe the Bears flopped this draft is not because they drafted a quarterback, and not even that they picked Trubisky, or even that they used the 1st pick on a quarterback. Hell, it's not even that they drafted so many small schoolers. It has more to do with what they gave up to get him. The next 9 picks after were not quarterbacks. SF was not giving up the 2nd pick to anyone that didn't have a top 5 pick in return, and Pace's paranoia allowed him to get played. Even if Trubisky turns into a good player, in my opinion, if he's not a top 5 starter, then the move was a bust and the Bears lost out on some good players to fill other needs.
Also, the crowd didn't boo Trubisky, they booed the mention of the Bears. They were cheering Trubisky once they focused on him. The people that like the Bears move are the minority. Doesn't mean they're wrong, just the minority.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Wed 03, 2017 2:20 pm

J.W. wrote:The reason i believe the Bears flopped this draft is not because they drafted a quarterback, and not even that they picked Trubisky, or even that they used the 1st pick on a quarterback. Hell, it's not even that they drafted so many small schoolers. It has more to do with what they gave up to get him. The next 9 picks after were not quarterbacks. SF was not giving up the 2nd pick to anyone that didn't have a top 5 pick in return, and Pace's paranoia allowed him to get played. Even if Trubisky turns into a good player, in my opinion, if he's not a top 5 starter, then the move was a bust and the Bears lost out on some good players to fill other needs.
Also, the crowd didn't boo Trubisky, they booed the mention of the Bears. They were cheering Trubisky once they focused on him. The people that like the Bears move are the minority. Doesn't mean they're wrong, just the minority.

It's been reported over the last few days that there were teams 110% trying to move up to SF's pick to take Trubisky. SF's front office even came out and said it, but withheld who, though all signs point at Cleveland. Tennessee also came out to say that teams were inquiring about their #5, until the Bears took Trubisky, at which point all calls stopped. The next 9 picks weren't quarterbacks, but there's nothing to say that those 9 teams that picked next weren't receiving phone calls about their picks to take a QB. The guy was coveted, and Pace obviously sees something in him. And until the pick absolutely fails, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Some reports, including Adam Schefter, indicate the Bears played Cleveland, stringing them along about trading them their #3 for what would have been the #12+ others, but used that as a smoke screen to keep them from inquiring with SF about the #2 as it was obvious to everyone that Cleveland wanted Trubisky, but couldn't figure out a way to get both him and Garrett.

And calling the pick a "bust" because he doesn't end up a top 5 QB in the NFL? Really? Talk about a hot-take response... I don't care if he is NEVER a top 5 QB in the NFL, so long as the Bears can win some superbowls with him under center. And that's what every other Bears fan should care about. Not where he "ranks" in the league... If he's #6, or #8 in the league as far as rankings go, but the Bears win 3 superbowls with him as the QB, is the pick still a bust? According to your hot-take response, it would be... :lol:

As far as booing him... even if it was focused on the mention of the Bears, and not specifically Trubisky... it was disgusting, classless, and uncalled for when the kid was introduced and/or shown on the jumbotron. It's the type of thing I expect from Philly fans, not Chicago fans. Him being picked at #2 has nothing to do with him. The kid hasn't even put a helmet on, yet, and he's already gotta hear boos when he's mentioned? Jesus... that's embarrassing for this city.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » May Wed 03, 2017 5:07 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:It's been reported over the last few days that there were teams 110% trying to move up to SF's pick to take Trubisky. SF's front office even came out and said it, but withheld who, though all signs point at Cleveland.

Like I said, of course a lot of teams were interested in Trubisky, but nobody with a high enough offering to take SF's #2 spot. You can talk about smoke screens and genius moves all you want, but the fact is, knowing what we know now about what went down in SF's war room, the Bears could have done nothing and still gotten Trubisky at #3, and still kept 2 third round picks and a 4th round pick, (which, I might add, are all earlier picks than they needed to get a player like Howard). The only scenario that plays differently is if Cleveland picked Trubisky #1, which the Bears couldn't do anything about anyway, because SF wasn't going to lose a top 5 spot. Even Cleveland had nothing to offer once they passed on him with #1, so that ship sailed, and it doesn't matter how much they also wanted Trubisky.
SmalliesNEyes wrote: Tennessee also came out to say that teams were inquiring about their #5, until the Bears took Trubisky, at which point all calls stopped. The next 9 picks weren't quarterbacks, but there's nothing to say that those 9 teams that picked next weren't receiving phone calls about their picks to take a QB. The guy was coveted, and Pace obviously sees something in him.

Again, if the Bears do nothing and stay at #3 and get their guy, none of this matters.
SmalliesNEyes wrote:And until the pick absolutely fails, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Better man than me.
SmalliesNEyes wrote:And calling the pick a "bust" because he doesn't end up a top 5 QB in the NFL? Really? Talk about a hot-take response... I don't care if he is NEVER a top 5 QB in the NFL, so long as the Bears can win some superbowls with him under center. And that's what every other Bears fan should care about. Not where he "ranks" in the league... If he's #6, or #8 in the league as far as rankings go, but the Bears win 3 superbowls with him as the QB, is the pick still a bust? According to your hot-take response, it would be... :lol:

I see your point, but of course I would be happy if the Bears won Super Bowls with him. I was talking more about getting value for the draft position and for what you gave up to get it. And the quarterback position being what it is, you're going to need that elite top-5 quarterback to win super bowls to begin with, which is the whole point of the exercise of evaluating talent. You're not making moves like that to get an average QB that can manage a game, you're hoping for an elite player. You pretty much need an elite QB to win super bowls.
SmalliesNEyes wrote:As far as booing him... even if it was focused on the mention of the Bears, and not specifically Trubisky... it was disgusting, classless, and uncalled for when the kid was introduced and/or shown on the jumbotron. It's the type of thing I expect from Philly fans, not Chicago fans. Him being picked at #2 has nothing to do with him. The kid hasn't even put a helmet on, yet, and he's already gotta hear boos when he's mentioned? Jesus... that's embarrassing for this city.

Maybe "disgusted" and "embarrassing" is a little extreme, but I agree.
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be argumentative, this is just one of the things I love about sports!
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby Brett » May Wed 03, 2017 5:29 pm

There aren't many events which generate as much fake news as the NFL draft. Teams spend months bending over backwards to deceive one another and hide their intentions. The Bears literally "leaked" a story they had a secret meeting with Deshaun Watson this year, just before the draft. I really don't think you can take much of what is in the press seriously. A reporter who actually discloses what goes on in a draft room is committing career suicide. Wouldn't surprise me if the 49ers draft room story is a leak manufactured to protect identities of other teams trying to trade up. Plenty of reasons for this, draft strategy, not pissing off incumbent veteran QBs etc. One could certainly produce a strong and valid critique of the Bears draft but I haven't seen anything close in the media, just the sky is falling, to the extent that it is laughable and hard to take seriously. Haven't played a snap and so called sports writers are coming out with headlines like is this the worst draft in NFL history. Absurd....
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rich D » May Wed 03, 2017 8:09 pm

J.W., Bill Polian has called Pace's draft move "brilliant". Apparently Cleveland was very much interested in moving up to pick up Trubisky - and made the mistake of advertising it. Polian was on sports radio yesterday afternoon praising Pace for playing his cards close to his chest, and chastising Cleveland for making their intentions so obvious.

I likewise have reservations about many of the moves, but do feel better about it if the trade up was in fact justified.
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Wed 03, 2017 9:32 pm

I'm not doing it to be argumentative either. I agree. I love the debates about sports. Sometimes I'm wrong. Sometimes I'm right. But I enjoy discussing it either way.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » May Wed 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Haha. The NFL has turned the draft into it's new cash cow in recent years. NFL marketing has us right where they want us....
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » May Thu 04, 2017 6:22 am

Rich D wrote:J.W., Bill Polian has called Pace's draft move "brilliant". Apparently Cleveland was very much interested in moving up to pick up Trubisky - and made the mistake of advertising it. Polian was on sports radio yesterday afternoon praising Pace for playing his cards close to his chest, and chastising Cleveland for making their intentions so obvious.

I likewise have reservations about many of the moves, but do feel better about it if the trade up was in fact justified.

Even so, if Cleveland didn't take Trubisky number one, they had nothing to offer that would also get them the number two spot, and with Bears at number three, Pace was locked in to get his man. That's my whole point, is it seems like Pace wore a belt, suspenders, and shirts stays when the pants fit just fine.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby Brett » May Thu 04, 2017 7:20 am

J.W. wrote:
Rich D wrote:J.W., Bill Polian has called Pace's draft move "brilliant". Apparently Cleveland was very much interested in moving up to pick up Trubisky - and made the mistake of advertising it. Polian was on sports radio yesterday afternoon praising Pace for playing his cards close to his chest, and chastising Cleveland for making their intentions so obvious.

Even so, if Cleveland didn't take Trubisky number one, they had nothing to offer that would also get them the number two spot, and with Bears at number three, Pace was locked in to get his man. That's my whole point, is it seems like Pace wore a belt, suspenders, and shirts stays when the pants fit just fine.

They ended up taking 3 guys in the first this year and have two first, two seconds, two thirds etc next year. I don't understand how you can say they have nothing to trade back to two? They have been using an analytics strategy to stockpile picks for a couple years. They can trade for any pick they want pretty much
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Thu 04, 2017 7:57 am

J.W. wrote:

Brett touched on it, but yes, they had the #1, the #12, and 9 more picks in this year's draft alone. They undoubtedly had enough picks to trade back up to #2 if they wanted. Their 2nds weren't exactly high, either. They had the 1st and 20th picks in the 2nd round this year.

There is no question in my mind that the Browns had every intention of trying to lock up both the #1 and #2 picks, and the Bears spoiled that strategy. They wanted Garrett and Trubisky off the board, and on their roster at 1 and 2.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » May Thu 04, 2017 11:17 am

The 49ers made it clear that they weren't losing a top 5 pick. They had 3 players in mind, all of which did end up getting drafted before pick 12, which is The highest Cleveland had left. It wasn't about what Cleveland wanted, it was about what SF wanted.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Thu 04, 2017 11:32 am

J.W. wrote:The 49ers made it clear that they weren't losing a top 5 pick. They had 3 picks in mind, all of which did end up getting drafted before pick 12, which is The highest Cleveland had left. It wasn't about what Cleveland wanted, it was about what SF wanted.

Not true. They wanted Garrett, Foster, or Thomas. Cleveland took Garrett with #1OA. So they weren't getting him. They got Thomas at 3, which is one of the guys they wanted, and then Foster dropped to them at 31.... They got 2 of the 3 guys they were targeting, one of which came a LONG ways after #12. You seem to keep saying Cleveland was not attempting to trade up to #2 or #3 via the Bears or the 49'ers, but all reports that have come out recently indicate that they were 110% trying to trade up to either of those spots to grab Trubisky. Hell... it was thought that Cleveland might take Trubisky at #1OA instead of Garrett. When they didn't, Pace jumped on it, as he obviously sees something in this kid.

What evidence do you have that says SF was not going to trade down out of the top 5? There hasn't been a single report of that as far as I know. All reports and evidence, leading up to, and during the draft, indicate that the 49'ers wanted as many playmakers as they could draft on the defensive side of the ball, as they were basically the NFL's worst D last season. Trading down, even out of the top 5, would have landed them probably 3-4, if not more, really good defensive players in the early first and second rounds. As it stands now, they got 2 in the first round alone. If they had moved down to 12, they likely have the #12, the #31, and the #32 + a couple other picks in rounds 3 and 4. Being able to basically grab 3 first round players. Three 1st rounders >>>>> 1 top five pick, IMO. Particularly for a team so thin on D.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » May Thu 04, 2017 11:41 am

Assuming SF demands to stay in the top 5: CLE trades 12 to TEN for 5, CLE trades 5 to SF for 2. Everyone happy. Or 12 to CHI for 3, 3 to SF for 2..... Haha, suckers.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » May Thu 04, 2017 5:47 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
Not true. They wanted Garrett, Foster, or Thomas. Cleveland took Garrett with #1OA. So they weren't getting him. They got Thomas at 3, which is one of the guys they wanted, and then Foster dropped to them at 31.... They got 2 of the 3 guys they were targeting, one of which came a LONG ways after #12.

You are correct, my bad, Foster went late. In MMB article I referenced above, SF was predicting that Foster would go at #9, which he didn't. And Lynch had a great draft getting 2 of his 3 guys, but either Garret or Thomas were the must haves, which is why they couldn't give up that higher spot.
SmalliesNEyes wrote:You seem to keep saying Cleveland was not attempting to trade up to #2 or #3 via the Bears or the 49'ers, but all reports that have come out recently indicate that they were 110% trying to trade up to either of those spots to grab Trubisky. Hell... it was thought that Cleveland might take Trubisky at #1OA instead of Garrett. When they didn't, Pace jumped on it, as he obviously sees something in this kid.

I don't keep saying that. I keep saying that it doesn't matter what Cleveland was TRYING to do, it matters what they were ABLE to do, which was all up to SF. And obviously the Bears weren't giving #3 away to Cleveland, because Pace wanted Trubisky, and he wouldn't be there at 12. No way was Cleveland getting 2 of the top 3 picks when both Chicago and SF had their sights set on guys.
SmalliesNEyes wrote:What evidence do you have that says SF was not going to trade down out of the top 5? There hasn't been a single report of that as far as I know. All reports and evidence, leading up to, and during the draft, indicate that the 49'ers wanted as many playmakers as they could draft on the defensive side of the ball, as they were basically the NFL's worst D last season.

I don't have an article to reference, I heard it on the Score that either Garrett or Thomas were must-haves for Lynch, and he had a feeling Garret would be taken over Trubisky for pick one (which he was), and he thought that if he traded down out of the top 5, that he would lose Thomas as well, and if he moved past 8, then Cincinnati would grab Foster (which didn't happen). Point being, Lynch wasn't going to get so creative that he loses both of the main guys he was after. If he gave away that higher pick, someone might have drafted Thomas purely for a value pick, which is how most experts think GMs should be drafting for anyway (value over need).
SmalliesNEyes wrote:Trading down, even out of the top 5, would have landed them probably 3-4, if not more, really good defensive players in the early first and second rounds. As it stands now, they got 2 in the first round alone. If they had moved down to 12, they likely have the #12, the #31, and the #32 + a couple other picks in rounds 3 and 4. Being able to basically grab 3 first round players. Three 1st rounders >>>>> 1 top five pick, IMO. Particularly for a team so thin on D
I don't disagree with your thinking, but apparently, Lynch didn't think that way. Surely he had offers similar to what you were saying, and he didn't take them. Maybe he had tunnel vision, or maybe Pace's RIDICULOUS offer was just way to good to pass up, but the Cleveland #12 thing fizzled out, because Thomas was a must after knowing Garrett would be gone.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby BassCaster » May Fri 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Oh HELL NO
Why do people keep giving this idiot a job
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1931 ... nalyst-fox
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Brett » May Tue 16, 2017 10:16 am

Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rich D » May Tue 16, 2017 10:22 am

Likewise stunned on the Cutler hiring.

Who in the hell wants to hear that guy talk...about anything???
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Tue 16, 2017 10:30 am

When he was in Chicago he did a radio show and was pretty good on it. I don't mind him becoming an analyst. See what he has to offer. Can't be any worse than most the morons they put on TV.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Wed 17, 2017 11:34 am

BassCaster wrote:Oh HELL NO
Why do people keep giving this idiot a job

1st - interesting isn't it that no one came looking for him to play for them.
2nd - ever hear of Rich Kotite or Dave Wannstedt? Hmm...
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Brett » Aug Sun 06, 2017 6:38 pm

Cutty to the fins.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3608/jay-cutler

We don't play Miami this year though ☹️
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Aug Sun 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Glennon is looking decent but the real news is Cam Meredith is probably done for the year or worse. That was gross, knees aren't supposed to bend like that. Especially hate to see it happen to a local kid (Westchester) who made the team as an undrafted free agent and worked his way to being the #1 receiver. Hope things work out for him.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Aug Mon 28, 2017 9:40 am

Brett wrote:Glennon is looking decent but the real news is Cam Meredith is probably done for the year or worse. That was gross, knees aren't supposed to bend like that. Especially hate to see it happen to a local kid (Westchester) who made the team as an undrafted free agent and worked his way to being the #1 receiver. Hope things work out for him.

Trubisky looks better than Glennon. Much better. There's gonna be a whole lot of crow-eating people in this city in the future, and I love it, cus no one wanted to give him a chance. Kid is the real deal, and shows why Pace moved up to guarantee he'd get his guy. This kid has all the makings of a star QB in this league for years to come.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Aug Mon 28, 2017 9:55 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
Brett wrote:Glennon is looking decent but the real news is Cam Meredith is probably done for the year or worse. That was gross, knees aren't supposed to bend like that. Especially hate to see it happen to a local kid (Westchester) who made the team as an undrafted free agent and worked his way to being the #1 receiver. Hope things work out for him.

Trubisky looks better than Glennon. Much better. There's gonna be a whole lot of crow-eating people in this city in the future, and I love it, cus no one wanted to give him a chance. Kid is the real deal, and shows why Pace moved up to guarantee he'd get his guy. This kid has all the makings of a star QB in this league for years to come.

I'd say Trubisky didn't look as great yesterday with the starters, although a lot of it might have been nerves, and also he hasn't practiced with them much to be able to develop a rhythm. That bomb he threw to Gentry was beautiful though (big opportunity for Gentry with Meredith down, I'm a Gentry fan). I think Trubisky has what it takes to be the QB we have so sorely needed for a long time and I'm really excited about it. I'm fine bringing him along slowly though and I think that is still the plan. All the stuff in the press about a QB controversy is fake news to generate clicks and ratings. When it comes down to it this team will be based on defense and running the ball this year, and Glennon should be able to manage the game well enough to support that. As long as we are in contention for anything I bet we see little to no Trubisky. If Glennon bombs and we are out of it he probably gets decent reps towards the end of the year. Bears are going to surprise a lot of people this year.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

PreviousNext

Return to WindyCityTavern