Bears thread

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

Re: Bears thread

Postby Brett » Oct Mon 02, 2017 1:25 pm

Trubisky has been named the starter. First game next Monday against a strong Vikings D on a national stage, and his opponents in subsequent weeks aren't too shabby either. Could be a tough start for him but it's something to be excited about and more exciting to watch than Glennon. The playbook just got more interesting too. Only so much you can do with a lawn flamingo taking snaps.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Oct Mon 02, 2017 1:37 pm

"Lawn flamingo". Hilarious.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Oct Mon 02, 2017 4:18 pm

Brett wrote:Trubisky has been named the starter. First game next Monday against a strong Vikings D on a national stage, and his opponents in subsequent weeks aren't too shabby either. Could be a tough start for him but it's something to be excited about and more exciting to watch than Glennon. The playbook just got more interesting too. Only so much you can do with a lawn flamingo taking snaps.

Not so much. They give up around 250 passing yards per game on average, which is good for like 9th most in the NFL. And they've given up 6th most total passing yards of any team in the NFL this year. So he should be fine. Their pass D is not very strong at all. Happy to see Mitch named the starter, though.

As for the second bolded part, I always thought "Noodle-armed giraffe" was more appropriate. :lol:
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ffishman » Oct Mon 02, 2017 4:24 pm

Should make for an interesting game, I hope.
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby J.W. » Oct Mon 02, 2017 4:34 pm

It's pretty exciting that we're finally turning the page and getting to where everyone wanted to get to as soon as Trubisky was drafted. I'm sure Pace and the rest of the scouting department are nervous as hell, as they were obviously wrong about seeing whatever they saw when they signed Glennon. These are the same people that drafted Trubisky. . . but the kid looked good in the preseason, and I think there's a lot of potential for a qb to come in and turn a whole team around. At any rate, the season just got a lot more interesting.
J.W.
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Oct Mon 02, 2017 5:33 pm

ZZZZZZZZZ....what? Huh? Somebody wake me when this agony is finally over.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Oct Mon 02, 2017 5:45 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:Not so much. They give up around 250 passing yards per game on average, which is good for like 9th most in the NFL. And they've given up 6th most total passing yards of any team in the NFL this year. So he should be fine. Their pass D is not very strong at all. Happy to see Mitch named the starter, though.

I think they're better than they look on paper after 4 games. I want them to be so it looks good when Mr. Biscuit shreds them anyway. Hadn't mentioned it yet but with Bradford and Cook both out our D should have a field day. At least hopefully they won't be on the field 3/4 of the game via flamingo turnovers.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Oct Mon 02, 2017 6:56 pm

Brett wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:Not so much. They give up around 250 passing yards per game on average, which is good for like 9th most in the NFL. And they've given up 6th most total passing yards of any team in the NFL this year. So he should be fine. Their pass D is not very strong at all. Happy to see Mitch named the starter, though.

I think they're better than they look on paper after 4 games. I want them to be so it looks good when Mr. Biscuit shreds them anyway. Hadn't mentioned it yet but with Bradford and Cook both out our D should have a field day. At least hopefully they won't be on the field 3/4 of the game via flamingo turnovers.

They would have to perform better than they look on paper, actually. Their performance through 4 games has been bad. Bottom of the NFL bad when it comes to pass D. Performance is usually a better indicator than how they look on paper. Nothing they've done in 4 games suggests to me that their pass D is even mediocre
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » Oct Tue 03, 2017 12:53 pm

Wow, we've really had the cream of the crop of crappy QBs in this town but Glennon is right there atop the list. So glad we get to at least see what Trubisky can do. BTW I'd love to get paid a tenth of Glennons' 18mil+ salary to be horrible at my job and eventually sit out doing nothing...
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby coyote » Oct Tue 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Bring back Rusty Lisch
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Oct Tue 03, 2017 2:17 pm

^^^ :shock: :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Oct Sun 22, 2017 2:31 pm

Return with us to those thrilling days of yesteryear...no offense, dominating defense.

Another game like this and I might become a believer.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Oct Mon 30, 2017 9:08 am

Zach Miller's career is likely over. Dislocated knee that required emergency surgery last night to save his leg. Knee was so far dislocated that it tore the artery and likely caused nerve damage as well. So he's looking at what is likely at least 2, but probably 3 ligament tears with the MCL, ACL, and PCL. Dislocation. Torn artery. And nerve damage. He almost lost his leg, and I imagine he'll be lucky to ever walk without a limp moving forward. Similar injuries to other players who have suffered "foot drop" due to nerve damage in the knee, and that nerve never firing again. Basically your nerve doesn't work anymore for the muscles to lift the front part of the foot, causing the dragging of the toes when you take a step with that leg. If the nerve never heals, he'll never walk right again without a brace, I believe.

Just terrible. Guy has gone through so much with injuries in his career, and they all pretty much seem like they're just bad luck.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Oct Mon 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Horrible. High character guy who has spent his career battling back from injuries and now this. And they take back the TD on top of it, one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Really hope he heals up and doesn't suffer much of a loss of quality of life. Would love to see him involved in the game as a coach if his playing days are done. He'd be a great example for younger players.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Mar Tue 13, 2018 8:00 am

Bears signing Allen Robinson. Been an interesting off season so far. Should be hearing about more free agents soon and the draft is coming up.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ffishman » Mar Tue 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Some sports writer today said a lot of free agents are open to come to the Bears, now, with the new regime. Should make for an interesting year.
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Mar Wed 14, 2018 9:40 am

Trey Burton and Taylor Gabriel too. With Shaheen, Gabriel, and Cohen this is turning to an offense full of mismatches. Burton will be a solid replacement for Zach Miller. He can compete with Cohen for trick play QB reps too, lol. Chase Daniels as backup QB, familiar with the new offense under Nagy, should be a good Mentor for Trubisky.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Tue 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Liking the direction the Bears are headed this offseason. They should at least be fun to watch again. Kinda like the Sox are these days.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Sep Sat 01, 2018 8:59 am

Bears trading for Khalil Mack. Ryan Pace has huge balls. We'll see about brains. This is going to be one hell of a defense.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Sep Sat 01, 2018 11:12 am

Please don't distract me with Bears shit until the Cubs are done. Thank you.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Sep Sat 01, 2018 6:52 pm

You have 8 days. It won't be me doing the distracting.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Dec Mon 10, 2018 10:36 am

How bout it Rambler? Are we legit yet?
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Dec Mon 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Last night was the best game by a Bears defense that I've seen since they played the Giants on the 1st Monday night of 1987. I was there and it was amazing. They'd won the Super Bowl in '85, the Giants won it in '86 and the Bears defense totally annihilated the Giants that night. At one point the line of scrimmage was right in front of me and the Bears were in the backfield before Simms could hand the ball off. They put Simms out of the game. I'm surprised he can still walk after what they did to him that night.

But last night rates right up there. I actually stayed up to watch it all (WAY past my bedtime) because it was such a great display of defensive power.

So yeah, It looks like the Bears are for real. Took long enough...
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Dec Mon 10, 2018 1:44 pm

after an 18 year drought, i suppose i picked a good game to attend. not sure how i made it into the office this morning but watching hicks stack bodies in real time is something i will never forget. just wondering where i can pick up my game ball because i have nothing for a voice today.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Dec Mon 10, 2018 4:20 pm

Lucky bastard. I'd have called in before kickoff, lol.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Dec Tue 11, 2018 12:54 pm

I'll be super interested in seeing the Cowboys and Bears in the playoffs. 2 defensive powerhouses and mediocre offenses.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Dec Tue 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:I'll be super interested in seeing the Cowboys and Bears in the playoffs. 2 defensive powerhouses and mediocre offenses.

I'm with you as long as the Bears win. I FUCKING HATE THE COWBOYS. It goes back to when they came into the NFL in 1960 and the Bears drafted Don Meredith in the 3rd round & Papa Bear basically gave him to Dallas to ensure the success of that franchise. WTF??? Look it up.

After that the Bears won the Championship in '63 & then went into the shitter.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Dec Tue 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Vikings lost last night. We could beat the Packers Sunday and clinch the division. So ready for some postseason Bears football
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » Dec Wed 12, 2018 10:53 am

This season has really bitten me in the ass. The Hawks went from 5th/6th in the league to last in a month or so- Thanks Collinton, nice motivation job.

The Bulls? They haven't really been worth a shit since Jordan retired.

The puke bears are actually almost good and winning. F*CK!

Go Vikes and Pack! And Cowboys, just to irritate Rambler. :lol:

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Dec Wed 12, 2018 11:07 am

I'm a Cowboys fan, but I also hate the Pack so y'all should be a little nice to me lol
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Dec Wed 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Lip_Yanker wrote:This season has really bitten me in the ass. The Hawks went from 5th/6th in the league to last in a month or so- Thanks Collinton, nice motivation job.

The Bulls? They haven't really been worth a shit since Jordan retired.

The puke bears are actually almost good and winning. F*CK!

Go Vikes and Pack! And Cowboys, just to irritate Rambler. :lol:

Lol. Almost good? :roll:
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » Dec Thu 13, 2018 11:46 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote: Lol. Almost good? :roll:

I guess my internet sarcasm didn't shine through there huh?

So ya, ALMOST good. Good defense, which has almost always been their hallmark, but imo a mediocre offense. I don't believe they have the power to score enough points when they get to the playoffs.

I hope they prove me wrong and do well, only because I have family and friends that are ridiculously irritating Bears fans- and I wish for them to be happy. Ironically, they are also the ones that are Flubs fans too, so that really puts a strain on my relationships with them. :lol:

Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Dec Thu 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Lip_Yanker wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote: Lol. Almost good? :roll:

I guess my internet sarcasm didn't shine through there huh?

So ya, ALMOST good. Good defense, which has almost always been their hallmark, but imo a mediocre offense. I don't believe they have the power to score enough points when they get to the playoffs.

I hope they prove me wrong and do well, only because I have family and friends that are ridiculously irritating Bears fans- and I wish for them to be happy. Ironically, they are also the ones that are Flubs fans too, so that really puts a strain on my relationships with them. :lol:

I picked up on it. I was just goofing around too. :thumbup: They're good. Almost good would be last year. Elite D. Mediocre O. Good O when Mitch is playing well. Classifies as good to me.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Dec Thu 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Has been a treat to watch these bears, and to my good fortune, since they have become this years media darlings (along with the chiefs), Ive seen almost every game on local programming in s FL, in addition to sun/mon/thurs night games.

Not totally sold they are for real, though. I feel without K. Mack falling into their laps a week before season started, they could just as easily be 4 & 9 team.
D is very exciting to watch (when playing with a lead), O is vastly improved from Smith, trestman, fox eras. Nagy, while hes made more than a couple boneheaded calls, has shown me he could be the coach to get this team over the hump. Retaining Fangio was huge, imo, too.

The biggest ? mark on this team, at least to me, continues to be the QB position. I hope bisket eventually figures it out, but am unoptimistic about that. After the drafting of trubisky, I feared it was cade mcnown 2.0. Well, hes better than cade was. I have now upped my projection to Sam Bradford 2.0.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Dec Fri 14, 2018 5:08 pm

Lip_Yanker wrote:Go Vikes and Pack! And Cowboys, just to irritate Rambler. :lol:

I actually root for the Pack from time-to-time. That's when they play the Cowboys.

And I was a huge Fran Tarkenton fan back in the day. Never could figure out how they played outdoors in the winter at the old metro stadium (where Mall of America stands today). I remember a shot of Buffone sitting on the sideline with icicles hanging off the ends of his fu manchu. God it looked brutal.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby labman » Jan Fri 04, 2019 10:34 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:I'm a Cowboys fan, but I also hate the Pack so y'all should be a little nice to me lol

I don't feel so alone now. How bout dem Boys? Thanks woohoodude11
A dude and his rod
labman
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Jan Mon 07, 2019 6:57 am

Well, shit.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jan Mon 07, 2019 7:51 am

Robbie Gould is a free agent next season.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Mon 07, 2019 9:04 am

Rambler wrote:Well, shit.

Absolutely 110% knew the Bears could only go as far as Parkey could take them. You have to hit GW fieldgoals in the playoffs to win, and I knew he couldn't do it. Games are tight. Disappointed, as I think the Bears were healthy and good enough to win it all on the backs of that elite D, but this team is going to be very good for the next 4-5 years. They'll have another shot. Hopefully with a better kicker...

Doesn't help that Nagy was conservative as all hell in the first half. If he calls the game like he did in the 4th quarter, attacking Philly's weak secondary like he did, the FG is a non-issue. As they would have had a 2-3 TD lead, IMO.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Jan Mon 07, 2019 9:49 am

It was tipped by an Eagles lineman, missed by inches. Parkey still sucks though. Not sure if we can get out of his contract until 2020 but Gould does still live in Chicago. Dumbest move Pace ever made letting him go.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Mon 07, 2019 10:33 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
Rambler wrote:Well, shit.

Doesn't help that Nagy was conservative as all hell in the first half. If he calls the game like he did in the 4th quarter, attacking Philly's weak secondary like he did, the FG is a non-issue. As they would have had a 2-3 TD lead, IMO.

Totally agree. On our second to last drive he went back to that conservative play calling, we went 3 and out and gave Philly the ball back with 5+ on the clock. I told my son it was over.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Jan Mon 07, 2019 1:28 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote: You have to hit GW fieldgoals in the playoffs to win, and I knew he couldn't do it.

It was tipped ..... But I agree.

I was there and man the crowd was pissed......
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Mon 07, 2019 2:36 pm

IMG_6253.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Mon 07, 2019 7:46 pm

If you’ve seen the movie its funny. Btw Aux that ones hilarious
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby UglyStick » Jan Tue 08, 2019 2:17 pm

I've seen enough Bear losses that I had the distinct impression that Lovie Smith actually coached.
Waiting for the defense to score a touchdown and save the day. Still waiting. Still waiting. Still ...
UglyStick
Pan Fish

Postby Lip_Yanker » Jan Tue 08, 2019 3:43 pm

But hey, only 6-7 weeks for spring training. So there's that eh? :lol:
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jan Wed 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Brett wrote:It was tipped by an Eagles lineman, missed by inches. Parkey still sucks though. Not sure if we can get out of his contract until 2020 but Gould does still live in Chicago. Dumbest move Pace ever made letting him go.

The argument can be made that it got tipped more toward center lol. Funny too that Gould was actually in attendance for that game.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Mar Wed 18, 2020 1:11 pm

Quite a 2 days.
Id like to have more optimism, but the aroma of desperation makes that difficult.
I DO have to give some credit. Pace DOES seem willing to cut ties with his high draft picks that dont pan out( which sadly seems to be most of them).
No clue if Foles is going to be the answer, but I do like the guy as a human being.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Brett » Apr Mon 27, 2020 10:42 am

Bringing in Quinn it's clear they are going to bet on an overwhelming defense and taking what they can get on offense. I expect a much more aggressive approach on D too, ie Pagano era Ravens, as talent has shifted towards front seven and away from secondary overall. Jaylon Johnson should be at to contribute soon though, physical corner who can disrupt routes to compliment QB pressure. Early contribution from Kmet would be a nice plus, got to love the local kid. Learned my lessons making predictions but it should be fun to watch.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Previous

Return to WindyCityTavern