Pet thread

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

Re: Pet thread

Postby Woohoodude11 » Feb Sat 17, 2018 11:56 am

Kubus, my Ragdoll, has an insane fear of cat stuffed animals.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Sat 17, 2018 2:19 pm

We had a cat years ago that was scarred to death of butterflies. I've had cats for years and have come to the conclusion that they are on a permanent trip. Must be fun.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby cletedius » Feb Fri 23, 2018 2:46 pm

RonG wrote:Cletedius's dog Riley...

is one of the most stunning and beautiful pets I've ever seen and even though it's been awhile, I consider a good friend. 8) Since my Red Hot is gone, I've been wondering if Riley is alive and well and am thrilled to hear she is doing fine.

Ron, its with a very heavy heart that I have to report the sad news that our friend Riley left us this morning. Feeling completely numb, & suspect that will last a bit.
Started out the day yesterday as her usual self. Got called to fish an afternoon trip. After I got home & we both had our dinner, her breathing was gradually becoming shallow & labored. She couldnt hop up into the bed to take up her usual post on top of my leg. Her breathing became worse as the night went on. In the a.m., took her to nearby vet who said her lungs were full of fluid, & xrays were indicating an enlarged heart. The vet ran down what would need to happen to deal with the symptons she was experiencing which would then allow him to look at what the root cause was. During the time I was in the vets office, she was obviously going downhill fast & in distress. Riley was 12.5 yrs old & having had 4 other whippets in the family over the years, & seeing 3 of them go between 11-13.5 yrs, & the other just making it to 14, the decision was made to not subject her to being boarded in the unfamiliar setting of a vetrinary hospital for a minimum of 2-3days, only to face a very uncertain prognosis, & in all likelyhood be in the same position in the next 12-18months(& thats if everything went as optimal as possible). Ultimately the decision was made to end her suffering, and not subject her to more than the 1 bad night shes ever had. Not going to lie, was truly a gut-wrenching proposition, & Im not so sure it wont haunt me, but I felt it was the path of least trauma for her mental/physical well-being.
Anyway Ron, always appreciated your sentiments towards Riley, & just wanted to let you know.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby mack » Feb Fri 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Cletedius, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
mack
Game Fish

Postby Phil6 » Feb Fri 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Sorry for your loss clet
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Feb Fri 23, 2018 3:37 pm

I wish I hadn't clicked on this...but I appreciate you taking the time to post. I'm really sorry for the loss of Riley. :cry: I feel choked up, with the same feeling I had last week with the news of the horrible school shooting. She sure was a great and super-cool dog and friend. I'm glad I got to enjoy her at the lakefront. Here's to hoping for some good news, for a change, in the near future.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Feb Fri 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Man sorry to hear this.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Afalconsvick » Feb Fri 23, 2018 3:56 pm

Sorry for your loss! We had to put our dog down earlier this month. She was a Rott/Lab mix and developed Osteosarcoma (bone cancer). We had one operation on her face to remove it, but then it went into her legs and there was nothing we could do. She was only 6.

I will be getting a German Shepherd in the middle of March, going to Kentucky to pick her up. She's 5 weeks old now. Wanted one my whole life so we are looking forward to having a dog in the house again.
-Site Moderator
Afalconsvick
Site Moderator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Feb Fri 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Sorry for the losses guys. :cry:

I put a dog down last year around this time. It always sucks. The worst part for me is standing there while they give em the shot. Petting em while they look you in the eyes. Just watching and knowing what is happening when they're completely unaware that it's the end themselves. Brings me to tears every time. :cry:
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Feb Fri 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Sorry to hear cletedius and afalconsvick.

My dog got nailed by a skunk last night. Very bad and didn't realize it until I let him in. Whole house smelled like skunk and that burnt rubber smell. Laid two bowls of white wine vinegar in front of two fans and it cleared up in a few hours. Still smelled it a little when I walked in the door just now though. Tis the begin'n of the season for that I guess.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Feb Fri 23, 2018 5:50 pm

cletedius: So sorry to hear of your loss. There's nothing that compares to the companionship and loyalty of a great dog. I wrote this letter to the editor of the Tribune about 7 years back about my old guy Tyler:

'This is in response to "Chicago man accused of tossing pup from car" (News, Dec 23.). As I write I'm sitting in my front room. 10 feet from me, lying on the floor is my dog.

He's a rangy-looking mutt of questionable ancestry. He's also the smartest, most wonderful dog I've ever known.

We got him when some unthinking fool tossed him from his car in front of a local school. He was a 2 month old puppy. His tail had been chopped off and he showed psychological effects of other abuse.

My daughter saw him, fell in love and brought him home. That was over 15 years ago. He was just diagnosed with 'old dog syndrome' and is clearly in his declining years.

But every day with him has been a gift. Our kids grew up with him. He has a heart as big as the world.

I've always wondered what goes through someone's mind when he throws a dog out of a car or dumps one on the street or in a forest preserve. I can only guess that for some reason - some flaw in his personality - that he can't appreciate how the love and loyalty of a wonderful dog can effect your life.'

My guy Tyler died 2 years later just shy of what I figured was his 17th birthday. In addition to old dog syndrome he had a thyroid condition. When he was diagnosed with it at age 14 the vet said he probably wouldn't last 6 months. When the day finally came when he had to be put down she came to our house to take care of him. The 1st thing she said when she came in our door was, "I can't believe he's lived this long". To this day I thank my lucky stars my daughter brought him home.

There is nothing like a great dog. Everyone who's had one knows this. And to quote Mark Twain one more time, "Heaven works on favor. If it worked on merit you would stay out and your dog would go in".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby HEDDONFROG » Feb Fri 23, 2018 7:24 pm

ugh that sucks. Sorry for your losses Cletedius and Afalconsvick. We are days away from putting my GF's big Mo' down. He was at his peak, a 22lb Tom and Matriarch of a 6 pet household at one time. A very dignified gent. I will miss our daily tug of war game with his favorite robe belt and recently sneaking him half-n-half every night, trying to keep his weight up. Damn, this will make the 3rd pet in the last 6 months I have had to put down. All but 1 of the old guard from when both our kids were wee ones will be gone and the last one will be sooner rather than later.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby MariaMur » Apr Tue 06, 2021 4:34 pm

I am in love with the dogs and I opened a dog shelter for the dogs in my city because I cannot see them suffering. I also try to feed them correctly with healthy food for dogs each of the breed having its personal menu that includes the nutrients they need for being strong. I have a facebook page where I ask people to adopt these little creatures because they deserve to be raised in a loving family and not just be kept in such a place. I treat them well, but it is not the same.
MariaMur

Postby Rambler » Apr Wed 07, 2021 7:49 am

Well alrighty then!
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby bobberwatcher » Apr Sat 10, 2021 12:35 am

20201219_023804.jpg
Just came across this thread, don't know how I missed it the first time. Really enjoyed reading about and seeing everyone's pets, except for the sad stories. I hope time has healed, at least somewhat. Here's a pic of my Kitty (that's her name- original, right?) She's the definition of the word scaredy cat. Afraid of outside, wind, basically anything bigger than a fly that moves or makes noise, but she has her moments where she becomes ninja kitty, running around attacking everything in sight, its called the zoomies- just a thing cats do- like Rambler said, cats are on a permanent trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby Lip_Yanker » Apr Mon 19, 2021 11:03 am

My dog and old lady's cat. Meant to post them awhile ago, but figured they weren't going anywhere. They are extremely well behaved and super easy to care for.

Sammi was a Black Lab (15yrs) and Lady (17yrs) was a big Calico beach ball. My old lady has been after me to get another pet and I keep telling her she has me to take care of... and look how well that's not working out. lol
Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bakervic » Apr Wed 28, 2021 2:36 am

I recently got a hunting dog as a gift from my aunt. My uncle is an avid hunter and has a lot of these dogs. The issue is that they have so much energy and all he wants is to be out. I think of him on regular walks, but it seems that I might be feeding him the wrong food. So I'm still looking for a reliable source that can provide a good deal of information trustworthy enough to follow. I actually love dogs so much that I'm looking up information on how to become a dog trainer. I think it will be something more for filling than the job I have at Walmart.
Bakervic

Postby RonG » Apr Thu 29, 2021 2:34 pm

Bakervic wrote:I'm still looking for a reliable sources that can provide a good deal of information trust worthy enough to follow.

You found it! Most anything you need to know about anything can be found here in the archives or in the heads of our quality members. Anything else we will gladly google for you. Welcome!
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Apr Thu 29, 2021 8:01 pm

HAHAHA! Ron, sometimes you really crack me up.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Lip_Yanker » Apr Fri 30, 2021 9:51 am

All I did was post a picture of the urns holding our late cat and dog. But thanks! :wink:
Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Previous

Return to WindyCityTavern