Who's going back to mono line?

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

Re: Who's going back to mono line?

Postby Bassin' Ted » Apr Mon 08, 2019 7:19 pm

Guys on another site said it was a wind knot when I asked them for advice. I assumed they were right.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Tue 09, 2019 7:53 am

Best way I know to fix that problem is don't go fishing when it's windy! :lol:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Tue 09, 2019 8:16 am

Bassin' Ted wrote:Guys on another site said it was a wind knot when I asked them for advice. I assumed they were right.

Yeah, I've always heard a wind knot as I described it in the last post. Never heard of your leader knot getting hung up on the first guide being a wind knot. Because you can get wind knots without leaders. :)

I think the guys on your other site may be wrong. :thumbup:
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FloridaRigger » Apr Tue 09, 2019 8:44 am

I never left mono. always have a couple rods with mono on them. I ended up getting 2 1000 yd of trilene XL for $11 from the Dick's sale. That was definitely a website mistake. Some guys got the 3000yd spools for the same price before they sold out

Bassin' Ted wrote:Guys on another site said it was a wind knot when I asked them for advice. I assumed they were right.

I think both cases are considered wind knots. it doesnt require a leader knot to happen. a loop in the spool is usually caused by line twist and using the reel handle to close the bail instead of doing it by hand. seems to happen a lot more often with mono/fluoro than braid. wind knots around the tip tops usually come from thin/limp braid. i always close the bail by hand and lay the line in the roller, so I almost never get a loop in the spool

this technique is awesome for putting mono on spinning reels. putting the spool in warm water is the key to reduce memory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Hl6wdBD3Hk
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Previous

Return to WindyCityTavern