And now the AC bites the dirt

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

And now the AC bites the dirt

Postby Rambler » Jun Sat 29, 2019 7:55 am

Just in time for the hottest week so far this year my old central AC has gone south. Can't complain - it's well over 30 years old.

Anyone know a trustworthy AC installer?
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: And now the AC bites the dirt

Postby threeats407 » Jun Sat 29, 2019 2:08 pm

What suburb? I can ask one of my hvac wholesalers who they would refer in your area. This is the last summer they will produce the freon yours uses anyway.
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Sat 29, 2019 2:36 pm

How old is your furnace? Bundle them together and save thousands.

I got raped for 3k on a new A/C 3yrs ago during summer when it was 90 degrees as well. :oops:
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby threeats407 » Jun Sat 29, 2019 4:14 pm

3 k is far from rape for a new ac system unless your one of the hundred of hacks working out of some beater with a shelving system of drywall buckets. :roll: Replace both at the same time usually is a few hundred cheaper.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby polishfly » Jun Sat 29, 2019 9:50 pm

Try Thermal Pro out of Crystal Lake! And get a damn home warranty!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Sun 30, 2019 7:22 am

threeats407 wrote:3 k is far from rape for a new ac system unless your one of the hundred of hacks working out of some beater with a shelving system of drywall buckets. :roll: Replace both at the same time usually is a few hundred cheaper.

This helped ease my suffering a tad. I just hate looking at those too good to be true advertisements, makes me feel like a victim all over again.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby ffishman » Jun Sun 30, 2019 7:51 am

When we had to replace ours we used All Temp. Great people. When they measured our house to figure what was needed he said the AC I thought I needed was too big. He said it would take lots of years to make its extra cost pay off. Both units he sold me work perfect. When they replaced my furnace, the new one is much smaller than the old one. Had to redo the duct work. Did a prefect job. New furnace and AC are energy efficient. Both cut my bills almost in half.
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby threeats407 » Jun Sun 30, 2019 10:26 am

Aux Pleins wrote:
threeats407 wrote:3 k is far from rape for a new ac system unless your one of the hundred of hacks working out of some beater with a shelving system of drywall buckets. :roll: Replace both at the same time usually is a few hundred cheaper.

This helped ease my suffering a tad. I just hate looking at those too good to be true advertisements, makes me feel like a victim all over again.

Glad it helped. Those ads are based on the smallest unit and before you know it. this is extra, this is extra.....
And stay FAR away from the couple you see advertising on TV constantly. As FAR away as possible! 45 years in residential hvac, 35 as an owner, I could write a book on the scams. Let's just say you are not running prime time ads all day by cleaning a flame sensor instead of replacing boards and gas valves at 2-3 times the reasonable price IF it was needed. On a/c units probably 5% HAVE to be replaced.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Jul Mon 01, 2019 7:47 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably catch shit from someone for this but we took the path of least resistance. Went to Cosco. They sent Four Seasons. We signed. Got a top of the line, USA-made Lennox for a bit over 4k. Could have saved a couple hundred by going with a Mexican-made unit but I'd much rather help keep Americans working.

Four Seasons said the new unit is probably 30-40% more energy efficient than the 35 year old Carrier it replaced. That's good too.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ffishman » Jul Mon 01, 2019 1:38 pm

We have our AC and furnace serviced at least once a year. Had the same guy for the last 3 years. Very knowledgeable and he shows me all the ins and outs. On top of that he says he used to work for 4 seasons, and is really glad he got out. They constantly pressured their service people to up sell everything and replace stuff, a lot. Good luck, I hope you make out OK.
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day, you do the math
ffishman
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby threeats407 » Jul Tue 02, 2019 8:21 am

ffishman wrote:We have our AC and furnace serviced at least once a year. Had the same guy for the last 3 years. Very knowledgeable and he shows me all the ins and outs. On top of that he says he used to work for 4 seasons, and is really glad he got out. They constantly pressured their service people to up sell everything and replace stuff, a lot. Good luck, I hope you make out OK.

Yep, them and 'One Hour'. Two of the very most notorious. Could have a whole chapter in my book on those two. Oh well, what's done is done.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Return to WindyCityTavern