Woe is me...

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

Woe is me...

Postby Woohoodude11 » Dec Sun 08, 2019 8:10 am

Couldn't catch a break this year. The Lunar New Year may have called this the year of the Pig, but for me it was the year of the injury.

Started off the year with bursitis in my casting elbow.

Continued my nagging back stiffness.

Got diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis (which still hasn't healed)

Now I just tore a muscle in my lower lumbar region (Hell if I remember the name).

I'm ready for the glue factory. But any day looking down at the ground is better than looking up at it.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Woe is me...

Postby JB » Dec Sun 08, 2019 10:58 am

First off that sucks! Especially if it impacts your ability to fish. I guess if it’s all gonna happen it best be in the slower part of the year and hopefully you can heal up. I understand your misery tho. I’ve gotten to the point that if something isn’t hurting that day I’m surprised. Seems like a succession of injuries. Agreed tho I’m still up and walking so it’s something to be grateful for.
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Dec Sun 08, 2019 4:43 pm

Mr Glass! Sucks brother, I know that feeling. Missed my championship softball game the first week of November because I sprained the shit out of my ankle at work 3 days prior. Worst sprain I ever had, I'm still 1 foot at a time down the stairs.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Dec Sun 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Man oh man. I know that feeling. Cold season is for healing/rehabbing. A number of years ago I had an upper back injury over the winter and really took the rehab process seriously. Lost a bunch of weight, put a lot of work in in the swimming pool and doing core exercises. Made all of the difference in the world the next season. Had I injured myself in the summertime, my fishing season would have been over because there was no way I could have dealt with the pain and discomfort, and eventual fatigue.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Dec Tue 10, 2019 9:11 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:I'm ready for the glue factory. But any day looking down at the ground is better than looking up at it.

HAH! You have no idea. I'm sure this won't help cheer you up but all the injuries we heap upon ourselves as youngsters come back to haunt us when we're old. Not a day goes by when I don't have an ache, pain, twinge & think, "Oh yeah, that's from that thing I did 10, 20, 50 years ago...

So enjoy yourselves regardless. It goes by way faster than you know.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Dec Tue 10, 2019 12:50 pm

I believe that should be:

"Woo is me"

I agree with Rambler. :?
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby UglyStick » Dec Tue 10, 2019 4:55 pm

I manage by just making my fishing outings shorter. And also pick my weather to the best advantage.
Sucks being disabled. I live by all sorts of water. Thought I was going to take more advantage of it, but
pain calls the shots. Might get a spinal implant next year. Until then I've got one good pond that's my
go to.
UglyStick
Pan Fish

Postby Skifish1 » Dec Tue 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Those are just nuisances. Like my old coach told me when side cramps when running. He just said run faster they will then go away. That saying kind of stuck with me. In other words who gives a shit. If you can go to work for 40 to 50 hrs a week you are good enough to fish.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Dec Wed 11, 2019 7:58 am

UglyStick wrote:I manage by just making my fishing outings shorter.

This year has been my record low for time on the water as is! I'd hate to see it get shorter.
Aux Pleins wrote:Mr Glass!

No kidding. I don't know what I was thinking as a kid that I was bound for the hockey hall of fame :lol:

I don't Ice fish so yeah, the injury came at an "opportune" time. My only thing is seeing perch as much as I've been on other groups is just gonna make me disregard doctor's orders :lol:
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bobberwatcher » Dec Sat 14, 2019 9:37 am

As for the plantar fasciitis, I had it, over 5 years ago. If your doc suggests a shot of cortisone in the ankle, do it! Instant relief and mine never came back. Hope that helps. Trying to walk in the morning with that is brutal.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Dec Sat 14, 2019 10:09 am

bobberwatcher wrote:Trying to walk in the morning with that is brutal.

Yeah it's always the morning that's the worst. Many times I roll out of bed and my first step nearly plants me on my face. Almost as if rest does NOT do it good if that makes sense. My job requires me to walk all day and the more I walk the less I feel it. I'm going the orthotics route right now with menial results.

I've had a couple dozen cortisone shots in my life. They're phenomenal. Funny, though, growing up playing sports they'd give em out like candy and now as an adult I get looked at like I'm asking for Oxy or Fentanyl.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bobberwatcher » Dec Sat 14, 2019 11:26 am

So you're familiar with the shot. It's too bad they're reluctant to give it now. Hope the orthodic route works and you keep your face off of the floor! If not, go for the oxy :wink:
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Dec Sat 14, 2019 11:30 am

Cortisone shots are the ticket. 15-20 years ago I had 2 torn rotator cuffs - probably from injuries suffered 10 - 20 years before that. Excrutiating. After 6 shots in my left & 4 in my right the problem went away never to return.

I asked the orthopedist if it was true cortisone weakens the bond between the tendons & bones. He said, "Yes, but not much".
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Dec Sat 14, 2019 11:39 am

Rambler wrote:I asked the orthopedist if it was true cortisone weakens the bond between the tendons & bones. He said, "Yes, but not much".

See I didn't know this but it kinda makes sense now. I have chronic tendonitis issues in my ankles :crazy: I'm telling you...I'm about to change my name to "Elmer"
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby daveishere » Dec Sat 28, 2019 5:48 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:
Rambler wrote:I asked the orthopedist if it was true cortisone weakens the bond between the tendons & bones. He said, "Yes, but not much".

See I didn't know this but it kinda makes sense now. I have chronic tendonitis issues in my ankles :crazy: I'm telling you...I'm about to change my name to "Elmer"

Same here, was back, then hip. I started working out and that fixed that stuff but not after a couple years of doctors and MRI's. My current pleasure is peroneal tendonitis that I have been dealing with since beginning of the year. Wasted money on one doc and months of therapy. Then decided to try another guy, and some steroids and now an orthodic I just had custom made should help, we shall see. At least this guy seems to have a glue. Like you the first few steps in the morning are the worst.
daveishere
Minnow

Return to WindyCityTavern