This is getting a bit worrisome

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

This is getting a bit worrisome

Postby Rambler » Jan Fri 10, 2020 7:53 am

Not much fishing lately but I'm still trying to get in a woodland stroll several times a week.

I've noticed a significant drop in the numbers of birds I see. The robins seem to have cleared out. I see chickadees & juncos but nowhere near the numbers as in winters gone by. Still some woodpeckers but again, not in the same numbers. House sparrows seem to have disappeared.

My backyard feeder isn't attracting very many birds at all. Used to be that I had to fill it up twice a week. Now a full load lasts at least 2 weeks.

Is anyone else noticing this?
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: This is getting a bit worrisome

Postby oldsalt » Jan Fri 10, 2020 12:16 pm

Everybody is getting out of this state.
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Fri 10, 2020 1:53 pm

Welcome to the largest extinction since a giant meteor smashed into the Earth 65million years ago. Nobody cares, it's not macho enough for Americans.

To bring it closer to home, people laugh when I say the Des Plaines is probably cleaner than Lake Michigan. Well that may or may not be true, I'm no scientist, but the amount of pollution going into Lake Michigan on a regular basis is absurd. About once a month there is a massive fish kill from such events, mostly on Lake Michigans southern shore line.

One company called ArcelorMittal, blows right past the Clean Water Act standards and dumps obscene amounts of harmful chemicals into Lake Michigan on an average of every 18 days. That's right, every 18days they decide aw fuck the law, let's dump cyanide into lake Michigan because the E.P.A. doesn't care anymore. Don't believe me, read up for yourself...
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby urbanHog312 » Jan Fri 10, 2020 2:01 pm

winter is mild. birds are more spread out on multiple food source so they dont need the feeders yet. sparrows are invasive and spread diseases to native birds so hell with em.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Fri 10, 2020 2:09 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:winter is mild. birds are more spread out on multiple food source so they dont need the feeders yet. sparrows are invasive and spread diseases to native birds so hell with em.

This is my thought. Super mild winter, and the ground has yet to freeze at all, so they have an abundance of food sources. None of my feeders have seen any activity so far. Normally I fill up the thistle feeder 3-4 times per winter from the finches gorging on it, and I haven't even had to refill it once, and the first fill is still more than half full from back around Thanksgiving.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Grain » Jan Fri 10, 2020 4:22 pm

I have a bird and he is every bit too much as he usually is.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Jan Sat 11, 2020 9:20 am

oldsalt wrote:Everybody is getting out of this state.

Ha! Didn't know you had such a droll sense of humor.

Aux Pleins wrote:One company called ArcelorMittal, blows right past the Clean Water Act standards and dumps obscene amounts of harmful chemicals into Lake Michigan on an average of every 18 days. That's right, every 18days they decide aw fuck the law, let's dump cyanide into lake Michigan because the E.P.A. doesn't care anymore. Don't believe me, read up for yourself...

Yeah - read about that. Obscene!

urbanHog312 wrote:winter is mild. birds are more spread out on multiple food source so they dont need the feeders yet.

SmalliesNEyes wrote:Super mild winter, and the ground has yet to freeze at all, so they have an abundance of food sources. None of my feeders have seen any activity so far. Normally I fill up the thistle feeder 3-4 times per winter from the finches gorging on it, and I haven't even had to refill it once, and the first fill is still more than half full from back around Thanksgiving.

None of which explains why I not only don't see birds, I don't hear them. Not even jays...

Grain wrote:I have a bird and he is every bit too much as he usually is.

Um, could someone please translate this for an old man? :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Jan Sat 11, 2020 10:34 am

HA! So true.
Maybe the birds left 'cause the "gov" found a way to tax them too.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Mon 13, 2020 1:28 am

badger75 wrote:

HA! So true.
Maybe the birds left 'cause the "gov" found a way to tax them too.

hahaha :lol:
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Wolfnight » Jan Mon 13, 2020 8:17 am

The exodus bodes well for my fishing in the CC Preserve Lakes not that they are heaving with people anyway! I can imagine me being the only person fishing Tampier in the Fall.
Seriously I suspect the Fishing License will be the next item to be doubled in price.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby RonG » Jan Mon 13, 2020 1:02 pm

They are so tasty and I've developed a hankering for them. Not much meat on them...the puffy winter feathers give the illusion that they are a little beefier. I fear I may have overharvested. :oops: :cry:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Jan Mon 13, 2020 6:05 pm

RonG wrote:They are so tasty and I've developed a hankering for them. Not much meat on them...the puffy winter feathers give the illusion that they are a little beefier. I fear I may have overharvested. :oops:

You're a sick, sick boy Ron.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby McChou » Jan Tue 14, 2020 9:45 am

Sounds like enough folks have left that IL is about to lose a seat in Congress.
McChou
Pan Fish

Postby Rambler » Jan Tue 14, 2020 10:59 am

badger75 wrote:Maybe the birds left 'cause the "gov" found a way to tax them too.

BTW - did you know that Queen Elizabeth the 1st (or it might have been her dad, Henry VIII) actually taxed the width of the frills men wore around their necks in those days? Yep - if you wore a big frill you payed more. Lots of guys took scissors to their frills to avoid higher taxes.

As George Harrison noted:

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

And let's not forget what Ben Franklin said, "but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes".
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Jan Thu 16, 2020 7:29 pm

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”
― Adrian Rogers

Rambler - agree - death and taxes
badger75
Fishing Czar

Return to WindyCityTavern