Another great read

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

Another great read

Postby Rambler » Jan Tue 14, 2020 11:08 am

I'm putting this here instead of under Fly Fishing because in spite of the title I think this is a book all fisher people - even women- will enjoy.

Fly Fishing Through the Midlife Crisis by Howell Raines. In spite of the title it doesn't have much to do with midlife crises & contains a lot of interesting stuff about fishing in general.

My sweet wife gave me this book back in the 90s when I was going thru my own midlife crisis (my wish for you younger guys is that you're fortunate enough to avoid going thru it). I re-read it recently & glad I did since I'd pretty much forgotten how good it is. It's not even solely about fly fishing. For example, he goes into the history of C&R & how it was basically started by the guy who founded B.A.S.S. They did it because their tournaments were pissing off all the local anglers. Who knew?

Anyway, pick it up - it's a great read for these long, dark days.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Another great read

Postby badger75 » Jan Thu 16, 2020 7:33 pm

If I had a midlife crisis, I may have missed it. Too busy raising kids and paying bills.
Now in my empty nest phase, I fish more.
Sounds like a good read.
Good wife indeed.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jan Fri 17, 2020 5:34 pm

badger75 wrote:If I had a midlife crisis, I may have missed it. Too busy raising kids and paying bills.

You are a lucky guy. I had kids & paid bills but didn't manage to avoid 'the black dog' as Raines calls it.

But I was lucky enough to know a couple of guys 10-15 years older. When I told them what was going on they laughed and said, "oh yeah - that one". They told me to expect 6 months or so of insanity & then to come out of it with a better understanding of myself, my family & the world. They were spot on.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Jan Sat 18, 2020 1:14 am

Support of family and friends is so important. Glad to hear you made it through.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Return to WindyCityTavern