Media created mass Hysteria

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

Media created mass Hysteria

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Mon 02, 2020 10:05 pm

Hysteria...good song by Muse too but anyway, this is the Schaumburg Costco water & paper products section. My oldest manages the Tire department, so he’s rarely in the main warehouse and walked past tonight thinking “wtf is going on here?” It’s people stocking up for the apocalypse :roll: :roll: :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Media created mass Hysteria

Postby joetrain » Mar Tue 03, 2020 5:55 am

This virus might not be the one to do us in but I could see something like this in the future wiping out numbers of people.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Tue 03, 2020 6:39 am

Say what. That's not like a big box to run that low unless they're shuttering that location.

facebook_1582195324211_5561327663263281.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Wolfnight » Mar Tue 03, 2020 7:42 am

An infodemic not epidemic. Total sham and stitch up. I know quants in the back offices who have made more money last week than the whole of 2019, just buying and selling using algorithms (black box trading). Fund and pension managers sold off big, end of month, affects performance and their pay. Ask yourself this - why has the price of gas not fallen with the so called demand crash - oil dropped $10 a barrel, why have no banks gone under or a credit freeze, like 2008? We have liquidity. China pissed at Trump on trade so decide to create germ warfare to get him out in Nov, Dems crash the economy with Sanders hype, China wants HK protesters off streets. I worked in China in 2017. they can do this, easily. Me, I am off fishing even if in a recession. Finally some open water. Tight lines.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Tue 03, 2020 9:13 am

:shock:
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Tue 03, 2020 9:47 am

[quote="Aux Pleins"]Say what. That's not like a big box to run that low unless they're shuttering that location.

Marcus, the Schaumburg location is definitely not closing but on a humorous note, check this out lol
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Tue 03, 2020 9:48 am

joetrain wrote:This virus might not be the one to do us in but I could see something like this in the future wiping out numbers of people.
~JOE~

That is scary to think Joe and it’s always a possibility
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Tue 03, 2020 9:51 am

Wolfnight wrote:An infodemic not epidemic. Total sham and stitch up. I know quants in the back offices who have made more money last week than the whole of 2019, just buying and selling using algorithms (black box trading). Fund and pension managers sold off big, end of month, affects performance and their pay. Ask yourself this - why has the price of gas not fallen with the so called demand crash - oil dropped $10 a barrel, why have no banks gone under or a credit freeze, like 2008? We have liquidity. China pissed at Trump on trade so decide to create germ warfare to get him out in Nov, Dems crash the economy with Sanders hype, China wants HK protesters off streets. I worked in China in 2017. they can do this, easily. Me, I am off fishing even if in a recession. Finally some open water. Tight lines.

I’ve heard things similar to this. It’ll be interesting to find out some day if this was a manmade virus. Btw can we start calling you Oliver Stone :D
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Tue 03, 2020 10:06 am

Compounded by the fact we just hit the 1st of the month. Big grocery shopping weeks. Schaumburg costco used to buy a shitload of modelo and corona when I drove a beer truck.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby threeats407 » Mar Tue 03, 2020 4:23 pm

500 a year killed by hippos. Where's the hysteria?
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » Mar Tue 03, 2020 4:56 pm

The real sickos are the ones hoping the #s will be high to advance their power. Even if the spread is not that big, the same bunch hope their fearmongering will tank the economy for their gain. Useless media.

:idea: There's a new one brewing in Africa. Not ebola, but the victims are bleeding out their eyes. Some predictions of this one taking out one million.

No one knows where either of these two are going. Stay safe. Don't flip out.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Mar Tue 03, 2020 4:57 pm

Everybody needs to calm down. And be sure to wash your hands.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Tue 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Rambler wrote:be sure to wash your hands

A classic pic from the CLF party days, courtesy of Superfluke.

washyourhands.jpg
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby minstrel » Mar Tue 03, 2020 5:14 pm

Seems that everyone has them Pre-Apocalyptic Blues... https://youtu.be/Mp0uySLnKi0
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby oldsalt » Mar Tue 03, 2020 9:18 pm

Guys google Ebola beer
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Mar Tue 03, 2020 11:35 pm

oldsalt wrote:Guys google Ebola beer

I read some of the public are so dumb they aren't buying Corona now.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/g5x8 ... irus-fears
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Wed 04, 2020 7:56 am

threeats407 wrote:500 a year killed by hippos. Where's the hysteria?

Lets make gray ribbons for Hippo Awareness. Pour one out for our homies that succumbed to the hippos.

My mother in law has a retirement fund in Poland that she has to go to Poland to collect yearly. We all combined (us, and her two sons and their S/O's) for her to return there in a couple weeks. Now she's gotten baited into the Infodemic and is voicing concern about going. I thought she was just worried about being stuck there and not being able to return home for work in time, but she's actually afraid of contracting it (she just turned 65 which is right in the umbrella of ages the virus is affecting). It sucks to see hysteria really hamper people's lives.

I did read an interesting article, though, that it seems to be sparing the youngsters. Out of the thousands that have contracted it, most are over 60 years old and children who are often at highest risk make a super small fraction of those affected. Very weird.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Grain » Mar Wed 04, 2020 9:11 am

Rambler wrote:Everybody needs to calm down. And be sure to wash your hands.

SIL, who works in Japan right now told me that they recieved an email from CDC telling them to wash their hands when they are "visibly dirty."

I am freaking pissed about the whole panic thing - we have a terrible well and rely on bottled water for drinking.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Wed 04, 2020 10:51 am

Grain wrote:SIL, who works in Japan right now told me that they recieved an email from CDC telling them to wash their hands when they are "visibly dirty."

Working in a hospital, we're taught the same thing. "Wash your hands at the start and end of your shift and whenever visibly dirty, hand sanitizer liberally in between".
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Mar Wed 04, 2020 12:53 pm

Let's hope this is as bad as it gets. Terrible the way some are taking advantage of this for personal benefit.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Wed 04, 2020 12:56 pm

vman01 wrote:Let's hope this is as bad as it gets. Terrible the way some are taking advantage of this for personal benefit.

Saw something about people selling like 10oz bottles of soap and hand sanitizer for like $40-50 a bottle... :shock:

People suck.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Wed 04, 2020 1:14 pm

Panic spreads: the new 007 release has been delayed until November. Olympics are being considered being pushed back. Bands like BTS and Green Day have canceled their tours.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Wed 04, 2020 2:14 pm

At one of our network hospitals they had not one but TWO people come into the ER entrance, take all the facemasks at the courtesy desk and run. Boy, I remember chicken pox parties and now this is how far we've fallen??
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Wed 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Woo - not surprising at all. There are assholes among us.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Wed 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Actually just passed someone checking in saying "they didn't feel right after a Chinese Man sneezed near them".
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: A missive from CLF for the ages

Postby RonG » Mar Wed 04, 2020 3:02 pm

As long as the sales of Chinese Deth Stick lures don't stall, that's all that matters.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Grain » Mar Wed 04, 2020 3:58 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:At one of our network hospitals they had not one but TWO people come into the ER entrance, take all the facemasks at the courtesy desk and run.

Having read this, my wife, a receptionist in a medical office, went on a 10-minute rant.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Thu 05, 2020 8:35 pm

RonG wrote:Panic spreads: the new 007 release has been delayed until November. Olympics are being considered being pushed back. Bands like BTS and Green Day have canceled their tours.

But will there be any people left to watch 007 come November? Hmmm
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Thu 05, 2020 8:41 pm

A guy I know runs a Target and was saying that people are hoarding canned goods, bleach cleaning products, of course hand sanitizers, water and other dry goods. They can't keep those items in stock. Where it's really going to become a problem is when those of us that aren't panicking need to start buying items people are panic buying. Someone explain to me why everyone is buying up drinking water? One friends grandfather bought 16 cases...wtf is wrong with tap water in an emergency sitch. It's not like the virus is spreading through our water supply. I don't get it
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Wolfnight » Mar Fri 06, 2020 6:11 am

I went to NYC yesterday, masks galore, flew Southwest from Midway, first time there was no C line, only a few in B, plane half empty at least, even after 9/11 was not as bad, and so the "Madness of King George" continues. Me I am about to head out for a day on the bank..... should be safe, Tight lines
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby Phil6 » Mar Thu 12, 2020 3:21 pm

if corona goes wide spread in IL this forum is going to get real quiet, Woo and I will have our own forum :wink:
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Thu 12, 2020 3:28 pm

Wrongo Phil. Last I checked I don't fish in crowded places. And I wash my hands compulsively. Only touch my face to pick my nose. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: A missive from CLF for the aged

Postby RonG » Mar Thu 12, 2020 3:32 pm

Phil6 wrote:if corona goes wide spread in IL this forum is going to get real quiet

But in general, if no one is out and about or working or schooling or shopping, this forum will get quite busy as no one will have anything else to do. :idea: Fresh air and fishing are a protection. The members of WCF will do just fine. :thumbup:

RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby badger75 » Mar Thu 12, 2020 3:57 pm

Once notorious local politician, Rahm E said something like:
“You never let a serious crisis go to waste"
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Thu 12, 2020 5:06 pm

The memes have been flying with this pandemic.

20200312_091701.png
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Mar Thu 12, 2020 7:34 pm

I just told my fishing buds we might need to head to the northwoods a few months early to wait this thing out. I'm thinking tomorrow until ice up should suffice. And if not, I hear there's ice fishing up there.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: A missile from CLF for the aged

Postby RonG » Mar Thu 12, 2020 8:23 pm

The end of the world tonight at Jewel. A family member had a hankering for a particular snack so I went to pick some up. Jeez, the parking lot was full..hardly a spot. The entry shopping card room had only 3 carts left. Very weird for a mid-week night. Then I saw the carts of the folks leaving. Overflowing with water and toilet paper. Water and toilet paper.

As I shopped, most everyone's cart was the same. Bottled water and toilet paper.

Check out time: the lines were jammed. Carts full of water and toilet paper.

Who started the rumor that everyone's tap water is going away?? :shock: So stupid... If that's their belief, how in hades do they think they are going to flush all that toilet paper if there is no tap water?? Is that what the bottled water is for, to flush their toilets? morons :roll:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Grain » Mar Thu 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Yeah, I ran out of a household staple and popped into a store for a second. It's a freaking stampede in there. Hundreds of people in line buying anything and everything. A friend just sent a video from Target in Highland Park - it's sold out of everything, empty aisle after empty aisle.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby bobberwatcher » Mar Thu 12, 2020 9:20 pm

Yeah, it's getting ridiculous. My daughter's university practically shut down to all but online classes. I don't know what's worse, the virus or having a "bored" teenager at home all the time. And those that dorm have been told to leave. Just like that. What about those that have no family nearby? What are they supposed to do? Daughter says the school doesn't want to be liable. Crazy stuff.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby polishfly » Mar Thu 12, 2020 10:01 pm

Walmart today in elm hurst wasn’t too crazy at checkout but the water, toilet paper, bleach, paper towels, soaps, and sanitizers were all sold out. Pretty much everything else all good stock. I went to jewel for some freshies and literally everyone checking out and walking out with fucking bottled water.........as was last weekend at sams club, not to mention the TP. Mind you I’m only doin my standard groceries plus a bit extra just in case we are all told to sit tight for 2 weeks but that’s normal food for the next 2 weeks haha (I usually only stock a weeks worth so nothing goes bad before I eat it). Going camping at Shabbona this weekend to get the diesel heater going one last time before spring warms things up.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Thu 12, 2020 10:13 pm

I think people are starting to realize just how bad this is going to get. Not agreeing with the tp and water bullshit, but at least people are fully realizing this is not a joke anymore.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Thu 12, 2020 11:44 pm

Like I mentioned earlier, even those of us not panicking will have to stock up on essentials and dry good just so we have food on hand. Crazy times but I agree with Nick, after doing some non MSM research, this is serious. Even those not at risk need to be careful for those that are. Any of you guys that are in that “at risk” age range...be safe!
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Fri 13, 2020 5:19 am

I guess you can eat toilet paper nowadays, only explanation.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby bobberwatcher » Mar Fri 13, 2020 8:27 am

Aux- right! Go figure :lol:
Btw, Tom Hanks got the virus :cry:
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby oldsalt » Mar Fri 13, 2020 11:34 am

YOUR NEIGHBOR HIDES IN HIS CHIMNEY
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby FishinMatt » Mar Fri 13, 2020 1:07 pm

Well, the school district I am assigned to just got shut down for 3 weeks.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby joetrain » Mar Fri 13, 2020 2:18 pm

A9177677-F32D-4515-9EE5-F73E8F1A0DDE.jpeg
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Grain » Mar Fri 13, 2020 4:11 pm

FishinMatt wrote:Well, the school district I am assigned to just got shut down for 3 weeks.

Northern suburbs announced 3-4 week closures yesterday.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Fri 13, 2020 4:31 pm

My daughter's school just closed until at least April 6th.

My other daughter had spring break extended at NIU into all of next week, and likely going all online.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Fri 13, 2020 4:45 pm

FishinMatt wrote:Well, the school district I am assigned to just got shut down for 3 weeks.

Same with my wifes school district.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Next

Return to WindyCityTavern