Is your employer screening your temperature the entrance?

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

Is your employer screening your temperature the entrance?

Postby catchafew » Mar Wed 18, 2020 7:33 am

I now have a job that doesn't allow work from home due to the nature of the work and requires somewhat close proximity to people. Management has been proactive, flexible and nimble so to address concerns so far but there is only so much you can do to protect employees in a manufacturing environment given the human capital requirements to sustain operations.

Needless to say paranoia and quiet hostility so far has already set in to a degree to anyone who displays any type of cough overhearing conversations with fellow coworkers. It reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode 'The Shelter' where generally jocular folks are now showing their darker side under difficult circumstances.

I had to do a work physical at the local hospital this week and as soon as I entered the building a medical professional rushed out to ask if she take my temperature, she took my temperature with no issues of concern. It was comforting to see the hospital was taking steps to help fight this virus.

I've heard third hand that a large manufacturer in central Wisconsin is scanning temperatures of employees and denying entry to those who refuse or show an elevated temperature. I don't have a problem with this policy if true but I sure someone will and get lawyers and news crews involved.

Any word of this being done so far in Chicago area?

Thanks
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Is your employer screening your temperature the entrance

Postby billebob5 » Mar Wed 18, 2020 7:57 am

no, haven't heard of anything like that in IL. But I work at home everyday anyway so I'm sheltered.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Wed 18, 2020 12:09 pm

No, they're just forcing us to work longer days and on our daysxoff.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Wed 18, 2020 12:13 pm

I'm remote, as I have high risk family with a pregnant fiance and a daughter with asthma/immunocompromised. My entire office just went remote for the most part. So no, no screening.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Mar Wed 18, 2020 1:10 pm

We are remote this week (IT contractors at a client), but the client just told us to come into the office starting Monday again...odd.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Wed 18, 2020 1:13 pm

polishfly wrote:We are remote this week (IT contractors at a client), but the client just told us to come into the office starting Monday again...odd.

Yeah, I'd completely ignore that. This country seems headed to a full-blown lock-down soon.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Mar Wed 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Nope. Nothing being done and nothing being discussed we're completely in the dark. Rather than prepping us to work from home its being avoided completely. Theyre really shooting themselves in the foot if we go national or state lockdown and we have to close the office. Not to mention we have 60+ year olds still showing up. Wonder what kind of responsibility the company will have if someone dies because of it.
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Mar Wed 18, 2020 1:47 pm

Big three auto in the U.S. just announced they're shutting down all domestic factories, Canada and Mexico operations likely to follow.

I sent a polite email on this temperature screen process to my hr assistant late last night and she forwarded it to the CEO of my company. It might be irrelevant as the hours fly by as we further batten down the hatches on our society and economy.

Let's all hope regardless of beliefs that we bounce back quickly and without civil unrest. It's likely to be a long, difficult road ahead.

I thought about the other day doing a post about gallow humor to lighten mood but I'm sure your minds are preoccupied with very serious matters as well as the hours and days quickly unfold. The youtube sketch btw I was going to post was 'Always look on the bright side of life' from Monty Python. Lol

A shout out to LE, EMTs, firefighters, medical professionals, service men and to those in the transportation industry who keep us safe and critical supplies along our roads and rails through these trying times.

It's ironic that in October 2019 I got my class A cdl and drove for a few months as I needed to acquire new skill sets for my move to rural America. Maybe I'll be driving again if my local factory shuts down.

Take care.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Apr Tue 07, 2020 9:08 pm

Late to this party.

My work requires us to check in, for now. It was supposed to be a temp check but alas...the thermometers are on backorder from China go figure. We swipe our badge and are forced to answer:
"Do you have a new or worsening cough?"
"Do you have a sore throat?"
"Have you had a fever of 100 or more in the last 24 hours?"
"Have you taken any medicine for a fever of over 100?"
"Has anyone in your household been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 24 hours?"

And you can't just say "No to all". They have to ask :roll:

In the next week or so, get this, they're installing infrared cameras to detect anyone walking in the door with an elevated temperature.

I shit you not.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Apr Wed 08, 2020 10:24 am

I went to Northwestern Medicine in Grayslake, Il. and they and they did the temperature scan as part of the registration at the front desk.

I spoke with a friend who had a similar experience at another hospital where they did the temperature scan upfront but his girlfriend and mandatory ride home was not allowed into the hospital and had to wait in designated waiting area separate to but just off the front desk.

Seems like a good call and not that invasive to not compromise others in a hospital.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby catchafew » Apr Wed 08, 2020 10:50 am

4/8/20 UPDATE...

On 3/18/20 I received a reply from senior management of "Thank you for the feedback and sharing your experience... This is currently under consideration along with additional measures to keep our employees safe." when I asked if they could post a qualified professional to check our temps as we enter the plant on 3/17/20. Mind you we're a profitable, fortune 500 company. Company has posted and provided all sorts of information on each door about when not to enter the building and we're all using, at least I am, bleach water to sanitize contact surfaces, keeping doors propped open, etc...

On 4/7/20 a fucking idiot, selfish co-worker so I'm told by fellow workers from a different shift and entered work yesterday displaying covid symptoms after his girlfriend was sick the week before and is still waiting for her test results on her covid testing. Anyway that worker was sent home and a bunch of other factory workers work by choice or by direction of management. Is beer and cigarette money really worth is that much you fucking piece of shit that you come into work? Forget about where did you go Joe Dimaggio, where did you go Joe Stalin to motivate people to comply?

To my senior management with your Northwestern MBAs and your engineering undergrads you're even more selfish, dumb and myopic than my salt of the earth union brothers and you're always a step behind with precautions during this crisis. On a high note I'd like to thank the CEO of my division for viewing my profile and inviting me join him as one of his LinkedIn connections a week ago. I've been practicing my elevator speech for him in our one story plant and working on my soft skills to work the room but many speculate we'll be shutdown by end of the month and re-hires will go by seniority.

I've been wearing my respirator mask since the start of this week, eating alone on breaks for two weeks, washing the fuck of my hands, spraying down my hands with bleach water (yes I know, please spare me) and tools and equipment in my area as surface rust forms. My antisocial nature might give me an extra week or two.

Stay as informed as you can be, take as many precautions as you can, maintain your sleep, health and lookout for yourself and family the best educated and intended aren't always on top of their game.

And the band played on.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FishinMatt » Apr Wed 08, 2020 11:43 am

We had an employee test positive and only found out the day he came back to work. Our union was not happy with the lack of transparency, which many feel caused unnecessary risk to our families.

Due to COVID, several of us in specialty assignments have been temporarily reassigned and are working 8 hour shifts M-F. This means we are interacting with all the 12 hr day shift workers on both teams, which I do not think is the best course of action either. These are fucked up times anyway you look at it.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby catchafew » Apr Wed 08, 2020 11:57 am

^^^ Stay safe Matt. It's not enough you have to deal with unruly dirtbags on a daily basis up close and personal now you have to deal with this crap while taking them into custody.

Is it safe to go speeding now in Wheaton? Lol
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Apr Wed 08, 2020 12:06 pm

My son is on the job in Arlington Heights and they are on 2 days a week. They basically told him try not to interact with anyone.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » Apr Wed 08, 2020 2:48 pm

Yep. Started taking our temps a couple weeks ago. Last week made us start wearing face masks, even sitting alone in our office. We have someone that walks around a couple times a day disinfecting door handles and other frequently touched surfaces. We're only 33 strong in the entire facility normally, I think there's at least 7 people working from home now.

They screen any delivery drivers that come to our shop, take their temp, make them wait in the truck while we unload, drivers are not allowed to use the restrooms, we don't allow an employee to touch any clipboards or hand held signature pads etc.

My wife works in a logistics company for the food industry, she's been working 55+ hours a week. they just started taking temperatures of everyone coming in to their facility today. No PPE or other disinfecting/ sanitizing items provided or procedures happening though. :roll:

My buddy works for Coke as a merchandiser and they're getting an extra $400 a month for hazard pay being in the public every day. But no PPE provided.

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Apr Wed 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:In the next week or so, get this, they're installing infrared cameras to detect anyone walking in the door with an elevated temperature.
This will be the wave of the future with many places when the dust settles. Just as 9/11 forced changes on us for security, so too will this. It's funny a 100+ years ago my grandparents came via Ellis Island I'm guessing the were screened for contagious diseases but if we did that nowadays I'm guessing someone would scream it's racist and unfair.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Thu 09, 2020 12:45 pm

catchafew wrote:Forget about where did you go Joe Dimaggio, where did you go Joe Stalin to motivate people to comply?

I always knew sooner or later you'd come over to the lefty side of things. But wasn't expecting it to go this far. :lol:

As for your dumbfuck managers with Northwestern MBAs, years ago the company I worked for acquired one of our competitors and in the process inherited some of their top people. One guy I had to interface with a lot had a Harvard MBA. He managed to work it into every conversation we had. And he was one of the stupidest MFs I ever worked with. F'd up everything he touched. We finally had to fire him.

Honest to god some schools will give those things to anyone.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Apr Thu 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Rambler wrote:Honest to god some schools will give those things to anyone

As Loughlin and others have shown schools are not giving these away but they are for sale.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/27/us/lori- ... index.html
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Thu 09, 2020 2:39 pm

Call your Congressmen to make sure this passes. Aux wants a new fishing rod. :wink:

Screenshot_20200409-143718_Samsung Internet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby catchafew » Apr Thu 09, 2020 5:37 pm

^^^ Marcus. I'll call but I also have a vested interest. Lol

The lot lizards might be safer than my current work environment.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bobberwatcher » Apr Fri 10, 2020 1:34 am

I hate to say this because I'm all for any sort of precautions but this temperature taking seems to be more for saving the employers as**s than anything else. By the time someone has a fever, they could've infected an entire workforce within a 14 day incubation period. Still, keeping someone out who has a fever is better than not doing anything.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Apr Sat 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Oh it's 100% a CYA initiative. Our campus and it's thousands of employees has *somehow* only managed to have 4 work related COVID exposures, even though the Trib published an article that our ICU is 100% full. Riddle me that one.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby daveishere » Apr Sat 11, 2020 5:17 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:Oh it's 100% a CYA initiative. Our campus and it's thousands of employees has *somehow* only managed to have 4 work related COVID exposures, even though the Trib published an article that our ICU is 100% full. Riddle me that one.

So they are reporting you guys are full and overwhelmed when you are not? Who is calling them out if that's the case?
daveishere
Minnow

Postby catchafew » Apr Sat 11, 2020 8:31 pm

daveishere wrote:So they are reporting you guys are full and overwhelmed when you are not? Who is calling them out if that's the case?
x2
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Apr Sat 11, 2020 8:38 pm

My new look at work, kinda warm wearing two respirators.
20200410_163705.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Apr Sat 11, 2020 11:14 pm

^Did you get a laser blaster??

All kidding aside stay safe everyone going into work!!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Apr Sun 12, 2020 8:41 am

^^^ Standard issue battery powered air filter welding hood and my respirator mask.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Apr Sun 12, 2020 1:41 pm

Rocketman!
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby badger75 » Apr Tue 14, 2020 12:48 pm

That's not easy work, Darth! Stay safe and drink plenty of ….. water.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Lip_Yanker » Apr Wed 15, 2020 1:25 pm

catchafew wrote:My new look at work, kinda warm wearing two respirators.
20200410_163705.jpg

Unfortunately, even before the current virus crisis, they don't require our welders to wear that level of protection.

Me at my desk these days.

COVID.jpg
Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Apr Wed 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Breathing through a beard like that, do you really need a mask?
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to WindyCityTavern