2nd Moderna vaccine

Open discussion forum. Shoot the breeze and chat about, well... whatever. Rated PG-13. PLEASE maintain and level of decency and respect.

Re: 2nd Moderna vaccine

Postby joetrain » May Mon 17, 2021 11:05 am

I keep hearing follow the science. If an individual has had corona and recovered they now have an immunity to it so why would they be vaccinated? No vaccine, no work. Can’t be right. Please enlighten me.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Mon 17, 2021 12:06 pm

joetrain wrote:No vaccine, no work. Can’t be right. Please enlighten me.

Joe: It's really quite simple. Employers have the right to establish personnel policies. Things like, no harassment, no shitting on desks, no coming to work naked, etc. etc.

Want a job? Accept HR policies. If a policy is, "No vaccine, no job" your choice is simple - isn't it?

Oh, and BTW - I'm supposed to be the flaming lib around here so why do I have to explain this? You're sounding like either a libertarian or an adolescent. I'm assuming it's the former.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby BrookfieldAngler » May Mon 17, 2021 12:08 pm

Final update on shot 2 of the Moderna! My arm hurt and was just a little tired. Still managed to go out for 2 runs this weekend and have a fun BBQ with friends.
Nick - BrookFieldAngler.com
Hobie Fishing Team · LucidFishing · Biovex · StankX · Quest Watersports · Railblaza
BrookfieldAngler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » May Mon 17, 2021 12:31 pm

I don’t know what classification I am other than Christ follower. I just don’t understand how an employer has the right to force their employees to inject drugs into their bodies as a condition of continuing employment. To my limited understanding it’s not the same as a harassment policy. If it is I’m glad I am retired.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Mon 17, 2021 12:46 pm

Employers have the right (remember - corporations are "people") to set the conditions of employment. In my experience they're usually based on real-world behavior and law.

So let's assume a company doesn't require vaccination but requires employees to show up for work (duh?). Now let's assume someone infected with COVID comes to work, infects other employees and someone dies. (I know that where you live this is an unusual circumstance but in much of the world it happens with some regularity that's why it's a PANDEMIC).

Since we live in the good, ole, USA where you can pretty much sue anyone for anything, I think we can further assume there will be law suits as a result of the employer's 'negligence'.

So legal tells HR "Don't let anyone work who hasn't been fully vaccinated unless they work from home and will NEVER, EVER, EVER come into contact with other employees". All make perfect sense to me.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » May Mon 17, 2021 1:01 pm

I worked in construction so I couldn’t work from home. I could work alone though. So would my employer be required to allow me to work on a job site alone if I refused a vaccine? What about those who already had the virus? They have the antibodies so why would they have to be vaccinated?

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Mon 17, 2021 1:09 pm

joetrain wrote:I worked in construction so I couldn’t work from home. I could work alone though. So would my employer be required to allow me to work on a job site alone if I refused a vaccine? What about those who already had the virus? They have the antibodies so why would they have to be vaccinated?

~JOE~

From what I've heard, the immunity you get from having recovered from COVID doesn't last as long as what you get from a vaccine.

In your case I think you'd probably spending more time explaining to HR & legal why you should be allowed to work unvaccinated than you'd find tolerable.

But the larger question is, "what's your problem with vaccines?" Is it just this one or are you opposed in general? Overall, vaccines have been a huge benefit to mankind. We've gotten rid of polio, measles, small pox and all sorts of other nasties. I just don't get all the anti-vax stuff.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » May Mon 17, 2021 1:33 pm

No problem with vaccines. I don’t feel I need this one because my risks are extremely low. If I still lived up north it might be a different story.

I know we are not there yet but I fear we are on our way to some day being required to have a vaccine to be able to function in society. So my body my choice is out the window. Some may disagree and say that it will always be the case but if my choice means I can’t be hired or I can’t purchase or fly on a plane how can that be right in a free society.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby matt_ski » May Mon 17, 2021 1:36 pm

The employers cannot request you get the vaccine yet because vaccine is approved for emergency use only. They can request that you get one if you want to walk around without a mask.
So more accurately, No vaccine, work with mask on.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby joetrain » May Mon 17, 2021 1:39 pm

matt_ski wrote:The employers cannot request you get the vaccine yet because vaccine is approved for emergency use only. They can request that you get one if you want to walk around without a mask.
So more accurately, No vaccine, work with mask on.

^^^^This I agree with. Gives the individual the right to choose.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » May Mon 17, 2021 4:57 pm

My employer lifted mask requirement for everyone last Friday morning.
Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » May Mon 17, 2021 7:15 pm

Previously having COVID doesn't make you "immune", it just makes your body more likely to fight it off before it can affect you. And that all depends on how much antibodies you've built up. Healthy folks with strong immune systems have more than the person at work that comes down with a cold every few weeks.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » May Tue 18, 2021 4:34 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:Previously having COVID doesn't make you "immune", it just makes your body more likely to fight it off before it can affect you. And that all depends on how much antibodies you've built up. Healthy folks with strong immune systems have more than the person at work that comes down with a cold every few weeks.

The NIH says otherwise but the length of the immunity is unknown.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-res ... y-covid-19

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby matt_ski » May Tue 18, 2021 9:29 am

So a day after the J&J shot I feel exact same way I felt when I had COVID - like I drank way too much the night before. Popped some Advil and I am almost at 100% already.
With the post COVID antibodies and the vaccine I should have enough antibodies to kill any corona virus within 10 meter radius lol.

In the other news, Costco website says you do not need mask anymore if your localities allows it. Illinois does, anybody made a trip yet?
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » May Tue 18, 2021 10:25 am

matt_ski wrote:In the other news, Costco website says you do not need mask anymore if your jurisdiction allows it. Illinois does, anybody made a trip yet?

I believe JB Porkster lifted the mask mandate yesterday. Not for Chicago though. Lori Lightfart said the CDC directive was too confusing for her to comprehend and needs more clarification from them before she would even think of giving her subjects some freedom.

RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Peter Piper » May Tue 18, 2021 7:48 pm

too many dots
Peter Piper
Fishing Fanatic

Previous

Return to WindyCityTavern