Skunked at the Axe

Axehead Lake - Cook County
Fishing Information & Reports

Skunked at the Axe

Postby crankybass » Feb Sun 19, 2017 10:34 pm

The water was super clear, and the weather was great, but the fish had lock-jaw. I did spot one nice largemouth cruising the shallows, but he wasn't interested my lures. I tried the drop shot rig today, but it didn't pan out for me. Persistence is the key to success.

crankybass
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Re: Skunked at the Axe

Postby Elixsmith773 » Feb Sun 19, 2017 11:25 pm

T
Elixsmith773
Minnow

Postby Elixsmith773 » Feb Sun 19, 2017 11:28 pm

This time of year can be tricky for bass. Especially at the heavy pressured axehead. The only soft plastics I've had winter bass success with was senkos wacky or weightless tex rigged. I like to throw noisey or flashy moving baits like cranks Jerkbait baits and blade baits this time of year to stir up reaction strikes but it can still be very challenging to land em. Better luck next time tho eh? Been a while since I've fished axe, but hey it was gorgeous this weekend and fishing is always great even if the catching ain't lol but I love drop shot and finesse fishing on light gear!
Elixsmith773
Minnow

Postby The fantastic caster » Mar Wed 07, 2018 9:53 pm

I think I’ve been to ace roughly like 5 times. I e only caught 2 bass no more than 9 inch each and I’ve been skunked the other 4 times. The only time I go fish there now is for he trout opener
The fantastic caster

Return to Axehead Lake