Trout 2017

Axehead Lake - Cook County
Fishing Information & Reports

Trout 2017

Postby Michalski » Apr Tue 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Hello,

How was your 2017 Trout opener experience?

I went fishing on Sunday, stayed only for an hour or so...making long story short my limit is still swimming in the lake:)
Michalski
Pan Fish

Re: Trout 2017

Postby matt_ski » Apr Tue 04, 2017 5:27 pm

I do not do openers. Fishing shoulder to shoulder is not my thing. Instead I like to hit apple river about 3-5 weeks after the opener. Still plenty of trout and a lot less people so I will post my report in few weeks.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby joetrain » Apr Tue 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Yeah I gave up on the stocked trout. For some reason I lost interest in fishing with 300 people all around me.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Michalski » Apr Tue 04, 2017 5:50 pm

That was my first time fishing for stocked trout but it was way too crowded for my taste.

I will be back:)
Michalski
Pan Fish

Postby minstrel » Apr Tue 04, 2017 10:23 pm

I was out Sat. aft, it was pretty crazily populated by humans but only select humans were seen taking in any of the trout population. :wink: I was not among that number.

I returned this afternoon but left yet again empty handed. I did however see about 30 slide past me in the shallows approx 5 feet from my feet. They came back going the other direction as well a few moments later as if one taunting wasn't enough.

I've actually never caught any spring trout though today will "cure" me of the desire to do so for another spring.

I'll be back at Busse in fall when I actually hit my limit occassionally over a nice pocket of time.
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby beanskittled » Apr Wed 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Hit my usual spot, which isn't nearly as crowded as the rest of the lake, with my father on Monday as I was busy on the opening weekend. We ended up catching our limits in about 3 1/2 hours using a combination of spinners, tube jigs, and minnows.

Every time we pulled one out of the water another two or three people would move in and try to take our spot. :lol: We ended up going from fishing the emptiest stretch of shoreline of the lake to the most crowded in about 2 hours and once the bite slowed down and we got our limit we decided to leave.

Also since neither of us actually like the taste of the trout, we ended up giving them to our neighbors. (They said the trout tasted great) :D

P.S. It appeared to me as if they didn't put any of those golden/lightning trout in this spring which is pretty unusual to me but I don't often fish at axe for the spring stocking at so maybe it's normal.
beanskittled
Minnow

Postby Darkstar72 » Apr Thu 06, 2017 8:55 am

I've done them on shore and in kayak at two different FPD lakes and won't ever again.

I call it Mele-Fishing; trying to cast while throwing elbows to gain inches of space.

I DID order a realistic trout swimbait however. I want to capitalize on the big and/or toothy fish that feed on the stocked trout in those lakes. :)

I personally love KenG's take on the trout stocking: http://www.chicagonow.com/waterdog-journal/2011/10/illinois-fall-catchable-trout-program-or-fishing-in-hell/
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Apr Thu 06, 2017 9:07 am

beanskittled wrote:Also since neither of us actually like the taste of the trout

From this we can only assume you're both communists! :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby tacklebox » Apr Thu 06, 2017 9:16 am

Rambler wrote:beanskittled wrote:Also since neither of us actually like the taste of the trout
They're really good smoked>
tacklebox
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Apr Thu 06, 2017 9:23 am

tacklebox wrote:They're really good smoked>

Indeed. There used to be a place - think it was called Lefebvre's - in Grand Marais, MI that had absolutely the best smoked trout, salmon, white fish ever. Makes my mouth water just to think of it.

Not sure they're still there.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby tacklebox » Apr Thu 06, 2017 9:44 am

Rambler wrote:Indeed. There used to be a place - think it was called Lefebvre's - in Grand Marais, MI that had absolutely the best smoked trout, salmon, white fish ever. Makes my mouth water just to think of it.
It's really a pretty easy do it yourself project, hardest part is catching them, at least for me.
tacklebox
Game Fish

Postby Darkstar72 » Apr Thu 06, 2017 10:54 am

tacklebox wrote:
Rambler wrote:Indeed. There used to be a place - think it was called Lefebvre's - in Grand Marais, MI that had absolutely the best smoked trout, salmon, white fish ever. Makes my mouth water just to think of it.
It's really a pretty easy do it yourself project, hardest part is catching them, at least for me.

Yup. Filet, leave skin on, season, put in smoker until fish hits 130 F and enjoy.

En Papillote would be good too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_papillote
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Thu 06, 2017 11:53 am

Darkstar72 wrote:
tacklebox wrote:

Yup. Filet, leave skin on, season, put in smoker until fish hits 130 F and enjoy.

En Papillote would be good too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_papillote

Smoked fish should always be brined, IMO! Either dry, or wet, depending on what you prefer. Mine is simply water, salt, brown sugar for wet. And salt and brown sugar for dry. Unless I'm looking for a specific flavor profile from a dry brine, in which case I'll add other things. I have 5 trout from this past weekend at my friend's club, a couple of which will be smoked. Looking forward to it!
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Apr Thu 06, 2017 12:35 pm

if you show up to an inland trout opener expecting it to resemble a solitary morning of bass fishing, you're setting yourself up to get pissed off. its an event; just go with the flow and have fun people watching.

trout taste like shit imo but are decent when smoked properly. my feral cat would be really mad at me if i didn't bring home at least a few
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby tacklebox » Apr Thu 06, 2017 4:16 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:Smoked fish should always be brined, IMO! Either dry, or wet, depending on what you prefer. Mine is simply water, salt, brown sugar for wet. And salt and brown sugar for dry. Unless I'm looking for a specific flavor profile from a dry brine, in which case I'll add other things. I have 5 trout from this past weekend at my friend's club, a couple of which will be smoked. Looking forward to it!
Exactly the way I brine my fish, sometimes ill mash up some fresh garlic cloves, or add some garlic powder to the brine. I'll also chunk the filets if there on the thick side, like out of lake Michigan. Simple and easy way of doing it, and really a good, and tasty way of doing it
tacklebox
Game Fish

Postby joetrain » Apr Thu 06, 2017 4:33 pm

My dogs love stocked trout.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Thu 06, 2017 4:43 pm

joetrain wrote:My dogs love stocked trout.
~JOE~

Yeap, cat food.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Apr Fri 07, 2017 7:21 am

Gotta say I don't get all the disparaging of trout. When I was on that summer-long backpack/fishing trip in 1974 (Aux - stop reading here :D ) we pretty much lived on trout. We'd catch them, gut them and roast them over a fire. Delicious! Ate them skin & all. Best meat is just behind the eyes. There's nothing better than fresh caught trout.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Fri 07, 2017 7:44 am

Yeah, not quite sure how people don't like trout... It's one of the best fish out there. I guess everyone has their own tastes. But to say it takes like shit or is cat/dog food is just plain wrong, IMO. :shock:
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby tacklebox » Apr Fri 07, 2017 8:07 am

Sometimes, it all depends on how it's cooked, any kind of fish.
tacklebox
Game Fish

Postby burningmatt » Apr Sat 08, 2017 11:24 am

Why fish for dink trout in combat fishing conditions when you can drive to the lakefront and fish for monster browns, steelhead, and coho? That's just silly. Even Milwaukee's not that far away in the grand scheme and the fishing there is a thousand times better than the stocker dinks. Go on a day with the right winds and you're unlikely to be disappointed unless you're just bad at fishing.
burningmatt
Pan Fish

Return to Axehead Lake