Arrivederci Axehead! 5/29-30

Axehead Lake - Cook County
Fishing Information & Reports

Arrivederci Axehead! 5/29-30

Postby Islandfisher » Jun Fri 01, 2018 9:10 am

I said arrivederci to Axehead yesterday. I teach a mile from the lake and like to spend my short lunch breaks fishing it. If you read my older report https://www.windycityfishing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=91788 you'd saw that I was only catching what basscaster used to call Axehead Specials". With the spawn wrapping up the pattern continued :roll:.

Over the long weekend the gills moved close to shore and started their spawn. This gave me the idea to try to catch a bluegill to use as live bait for something bigger. The problem was all the gills I caught were too big to use for bait.

I finally caught a small enough one and rigged it up with a large treble 20# braid and a bobber. I never really use bobbers (unless fishing for steelhead) but I really enjoyed doing it. A minute after tossing in the rig, the bobber started darting back and forth frantically, seconds later it dove down: fish on. Wasn't a true "Lunchtime Lunker" but a lot bigger than the others.

Arrivederci Axehead, see you in the fall.
If you're fishing slow and not catching anything, fish slower.
Islandfisher
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Arrivederci Axehead! 5/29-30

Postby joetrain » Jun Fri 01, 2018 9:32 am

Yeah nice Axe bass. Way to use the old noggin.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Jun Fri 01, 2018 11:51 am

Wow that's a crazy nice bass for the "Axe" :shock:

No found that one to eat for years....LOL
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby FishinMatt » Jun Fri 01, 2018 9:37 pm

Nice one. A bluegill never fails for those clunkers in those heavily pressured public lakes.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jun Sat 02, 2018 2:36 am

Great thinking substituting a live gill for a good size bass. I used to do that for my boys when they were around 10-12yrs old. Never caught anyting real big but they loved watching how a struggling bluegill would totally turn on any bass near by. Good learning experience too. Great Job

Here is a guy who got tired of a giant just looking at his bait and not biting. Rigged up a gill and tied the Largemouth World record. Actually beat it by an ounce but the Vatican of fishing, the IGFA has a rule that a fish must weigh 2ozs over the previous record to qualify as the new record. I have no idea why they have that rule but it sucks

https://pilotonline.com/sports/outdoors ... 1a06b.html
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Poiman » Jun Sun 03, 2018 3:20 pm

With the DPR a block away, I'm thinking of hitting it on my lunches when school is back in in the fall.
Poiman
Minnow

Return to Axehead Lake