Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Axe Gills 7-15

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Rambler 
#1 ·
Went through 2 dozen waxxies in 45 mins. Mostly 4 to 6 inchers this roughly 8"er mixed in.

Slip bobber 6-10' of water with a plain #6 red Tru-Turn with a waxxie or two 5-7' down

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nicely done! Spent many hours of my youth at axehead & dont think I ever pulled an 8" gill out of there.
On a sidenote, seeing the pic of your C3 reel is a nostalgic blast directly from my past! Thanks. Must of had/destroyed a dozen of those! Wish I still had 1.

#3 ·
Many moons ago when I worked at a repair shop I picked up that one, first and second gen C4's and this first gen C3 (picture below) that I still use to this day. C4's are up at the lakehouse. Reminds me I need to find some replacement spools for the ones that blew up.

Attachments

#4 ·
Wow. Cant say I ever had or used the 1st generation cardinals, but went thru many of the 2nd generation C3 & C4. They were top of the heap in their day.
Looking at your pic, seeing the c3 on a TN handle rod, in they condition they look to be in, & the fact you still have a pack of tru-turns that havent long since rusted away, I could learn much from you about how to take better care of my tackle!

#5 ·
haha. I'd like to say I'm good but I'm average. I've snapped my fair share of casting rod tips over the years. (Think I'm up to 2 this season)

Tru-Turn's are still available! Just restocked this winter.

UL stuff doesn't get a heck of a lot of use other than here on FPD lakes and off the dock up north. I built the two rods pictured below about 25 years ago so I'm extra careful with them.

Attachments

#6 ·
Damn, that is a bit of nostalgia. My dad had one of those first gen Cardinals just like that one, though I never knew until your post it was a first gen model. I no longer have it but still have his and moms Shakespeare 1777 and 1775 Wonder Casters. I could never get that man to try a modern reel, exasperating lol

#7 ·
LOVE those old Abu reels. Gave a Cardinal 753 to a buddy in Michigan a few years back & he still uses it. I have a Cardinal 862 on a shelf. Never use it but probably won't ever get rid of it either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.