Gizzard Shad Die-Off

Lake Arlington - Arlington Heights, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Gizzard Shad Die-Off

Postby 24carrot » Sep Fri 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Saw this on the news today, I didn't even know there were that many shad In Lake Arlington to begin with

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/me ... d-20110902
24carrot

Re: Gizzard Shad Die-Off

Postby SJS » Sep Fri 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Oh there are...

Caught them on the fly even, a lot of people mistake them for small bass when they jump out of the water or swirl.
BassCaster wrote:
you may even run into a sign that states that there is "No Fishing" which mean there only 1 thing. THE BASS ARE HUGE!!!!!!!!!!

http://basstobluegillflyfishing.yolasite.com/
SJS
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Gizzard Shad Die-Off

Postby nerf888 » Sep Fri 02, 2011 5:27 pm

Man I'll tell you what, early this spring when the water was still really cold, I went fishing there many times and kept getting skunked but there were fair size fish splashing and swirling all over the place. After alot of casting I finally hooked something that put up a good fight and finally I landed a foul hooked shad that was almost ten inches long!
After standing quietly for a while all the shad would start to surface and play grab ass with each other, but you couldn't catch them with any technique I came up with on the web. knowing there were big shad in there I even started using shad type baits to catch fish, with only limited success.
I'm glad they got pared down, between that and the big carp kill early this year maybe there will be better fishing now.
OBTW, about 1 and a 1/2 months ago I caught my personal best largemouth for Illinois ever there. If I could figure a way to get the pics of my razr phone and on to this website, I'll do so. It was fat,healthy and fought really hard on my favorite ultralight,
I laid it on top of my tackle box for size scale, it was every bit of 14 inches long with a fat belly, maybe three pounds!?!?
Anywho, there you go.
nerf888
Pan Fish

Return to Lake Arlington