LA Update

Lake Arlington - Arlington Heights, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

LA Update

Postby Big Flipper » Jul Thu 23, 2015 10:48 pm

Just got back from an evening at Lake Arlington. The bass were bedding under weed mats so I switched to the frog and started dragging it over the weed beds. I caught this on on the far east shore. It felt like about 2-3 pounds. This weekend is the annual Dragon Boat Races. So most of the south shore is occupied with docks, tents, boats and even a massive sound system. So If you are going over to fish avoid that area. Most of the lake is surrounded in high, thick weeds making it difficult to even get to some shore areas. Long pants and hiking boots are a good idea. Also in the last few days about 200 hundred gizzard shad were discovered dead on the shorelines. I called the park district and the resident biologist (yes they have one) said that the shad get in the lake from anglers using live bait. They die when they grow to a certain size and the oxygen level in the lake drops. Shad require a higher level of oxygen like in rivers and streams. So now there are a lot of rotting fish on the shores. Anyway, the bass seem larger than in past years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
Big Flipper
Pan Fish

Re: LA Update

Postby Big Flipper » Jul Thu 23, 2015 11:04 pm

Forgot to mention that the AH park district Biologist said they introduced Northern Pike a couple of years ago to counter the shad issue. Maybe I'll start throwing some spinners deep.
Kevin
Big Flipper
Pan Fish

Postby urbanHog312 » Jul Fri 24, 2015 1:57 pm

nice chunky one
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catch&release » Jul Fri 24, 2015 3:15 pm

great report and a nice arlington bass. i fished there last saturday right after the big rain and saw a few dead shads and lots of surface activity so i assumed they were coming up for oxygen. didn't have any topwater bait and it was indeed tough working senko through all them mats. btw are they trying to discourage fishing there? it looks like the shore area hasn't been mowed in a very long time. it felt so uneasy walking through the tall grass in shorts but luckily i didn't find any ticks.
catch&release
Game Fish

Postby busse bass man » Jul Fri 24, 2015 9:43 pm

Nice bass. I've never fished here but been considering hitting it up. Is it bttr in summer or should I wait until fall for my 1st trip there?
busse bass man
Fishing Czar

Postby JasonN » Jul Fri 24, 2015 11:33 pm

Some great info, Kevin. I've been wondering about the shoreline foliage/brush. So is it thicker than previous years? I remember some years it would be tall and thick and other years it would be mowed down. Interesting. Also interesting about the shad needing more oxygen and dying like that. Is there really that many from anglers dumping them in? And if the oxygen gets that low, how does that affect other species of fish. Also very interesting about the northern. I gotta make it by there yet.
Jason W. Norris
Managing Editor - WindyCityFishing.com
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Postby croman » Jul Sat 25, 2015 7:50 am

Nice report. I too fished there a few times this week. Shoreline is not maintained like it has been the last few years. I fished near the North penninsula... caught nothing but catfish (would drop a bobber while I threw a lure). As a novice fisherman, they stabbed me a few times (although, 1 of the times, it may have been the hook that got me). Lots of dead fish (shad I guess) at each shore opening I fished at. Nice size too (~10"-12"). Caught more catfish than bluegill. Bass were elusive (for me). Lots of fish slapping/hopping out of the water though, but couldn't get them to chase anything top-water.
croman
Pan Fish

Postby cRaZy_BoY » Jul Sat 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Great info guys. Thanks for sharing.
cRaZy_BoY
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Big Flipper » Aug Mon 03, 2015 5:35 pm

So here's the deal with Lake Arlington. For the past couple of years the park district has only mowed the shoreline once in the fall. This year they mowed a curvy path through the weeds but nothing close to the shore. Not mowing is good and bad. Bad because it makes shore fishing challenging. Good because it has virtually eliminated the bucket heads. So if you want to fish LA come prepared. Wear long pants and douse yourself in bug spray. Then just patiently work your way through the weeds. Pick your spots wisely making sure you have plenty of back swing room. I lost my favorite buzz bait when a tall weed snapped my line sending the lure about a mile down the lake. Work the edges of the weed beds slowly. Let your lure sit unmoved for around 10 seconds. Then retrieve super slow. The beds are your friends. Drag frogs and lizards across the beds. The best thing about Sencos are the waggle. Let the worm do its thing as it falls through the water. I like to Texas rig them, weightless, tucking the tip of the hook back in the worm making it even more weedless. Good luck.
Kevin
Big Flipper
Pan Fish

Postby croman » Aug Mon 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Good stuff... thanks
croman
Pan Fish

Return to Lake Arlington