Lake Arlington 7/23/16

Lake Arlington - Arlington Heights, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Lake Arlington 7/23/16

Postby JasonN » Jul Sat 23, 2016 11:11 pm

This has been my week of shortened outings. Only got about 40 minutes on the water today before big storms came through.

First time on Lake Arlington on a kayak. I was very excited to be able to map the lake a little and find out what the depths are. Fished from 4:00-4:45pm; temps about 90; extremely humid; no wind; heavy overcast with storms a brewin.

Paid the $7.00 launch fee and headed out across the lake. Was very interested to find that almost the entire west half of the lake is all 8 feet. Then, in the southeast corner there's a large hole of 16 feet. Didn't get to paddle around much more as the weather was getting worse and the skies were full of lightening. Was able to get off maybe 2 dozen casts with a spinnerbait and got 1 tap. Then when things got worse and the rain really started coming down I began heading back. Of course I saw a spot that looked too good to pass up and got a nice fat 15" largemouth bass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason W. Norris
Managing Editor - WindyCityFishing.com
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Re: Lake Arlington 7/23/16

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Sun 24, 2016 4:18 am

Good stuff J. I started working in that area a few months ago and have been eyeballing all the little puddles around there. Lake Arlington is one of the bigger ones and I was surprised to see so few posts, thanks for sharing this one for sure.

Btw, ever hit the puddle on Willow ave just east of Elmhurst Rd? Its a very good size pond/lake. Seems to be surrounded mostly by homes, but looks to be some easy roadside access as well as a park.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby apetersen » Jul Sun 24, 2016 7:17 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Good stuff J. I started working in that area a few months ago and have been eyeballing all the little puddles around there. Lake Arlington is one of the bigger ones and I was surprised to see so few posts, thanks for sharing this one for sure.

Btw, ever hit the puddle on Willow ave just east of Elmhurst Rd? Its a very good size pond/lake. Seems to be surrounded mostly by homes, but looks to be some easy roadside access as well as a park.

Aux - I live on that puddle and can tell you all you want to know about it. Basically, you nailed the description with puddle. The whole thing is extremely shallow. The deepest spot is maybe 3' and much of it is less than that. There are some bass in there, but they top out about 13". We do pretty well with ultralight tackle in May and early June, but after that the weed growth makes it very difficult to fish. The city of Prospect Heights is making some effort to control the weeds right now, so that may make things a little better but unless the city decides to dredge (read: never going to happen) it's not going to produce much. It's public and you're welcome to run a kayak out there, but I wouldn't waste too much time. If carp fishing is your game, however, the fishing is excellent. There are loads of them out there and they run to probably 15lbs.
apetersen
Fishing Fanatic

Postby croman » Jul Sun 24, 2016 9:40 am

Regarding Lake A, there is a depth 'map' inside the boathouse from when it was being built. It's hard to read (at least for me). That may give you some starting points. I've had some success shore fishing on the South of the Lake where it juts out (there is a park bench). Supposedly a drop there. My son was playing baseball on the field and I had to drop him off early, so I would wet my pole for 30min during warm ups. Another dad told me about it. Did catch a a 14" there using a wacky set-up. Saw a monster carp decaying in the woods a few years back while I was geocaching with the kids in the NE corner trees.

Puddle on Willow and Elmhurst Rd?

There is a puddle on Hintz/Wheeling Rd. I've fished it for 10-15 minutes at a time. Saw some huge carp swimming thru. Also caught a nice bass there on the 1st cast there once. Also had a bass 'porpoise' once following my spinner.
croman
Pan Fish

Postby bobberwatcher » Jul Sun 24, 2016 11:04 am

Funny thing about those "on the way out" spots- always productive, just like the 1 last cast. Nice bass!
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby JasonN » Jul Sun 24, 2016 11:44 am

This one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason W. Norris
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Postby polishfly » Aug Mon 15, 2016 5:56 pm

It would be interesting to see what one of those chartplotter type of depth finders would show for this place...I live less than a mile from here and have never caught a bass...yet...looking at that map you posted, are those berms on both of the "legs" of the lake actually there? And I imagine those "rip rap" areas are rock piles of some sort? Hmm...this gives me some homework.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JasonN » Aug Mon 15, 2016 7:02 pm

I just noticed those berms. No, they are not there. But by all means get out there and give it a go.
Jason W. Norris
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Postby threeats407 » Sep Thu 08, 2016 9:12 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Good stuff J. I started working in that area a few months ago and have been eyeballing all the little puddles around there. Lake Arlington is one of the bigger ones and I was surprised to see so few posts, thanks for sharing this one for sure.

Just browsing threads. I think you are talking about that pond about a block from me that is kinda split in half by Willow. I can only say that it is very shallow even on the north side. I've seen herons standing with ease 100-150 feet from shore. Saw the backs of carp now and agin.
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Return to Lake Arlington