Bode lake day two 4/12/12 the search for northerns

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Bode lake day two 4/12/12 the search for northerns

Postby Busse Jim » Apr Thu 12, 2012 9:31 pm

It was so much fun the night before i had to go back,checked my fishing records and it 's been 14 years since i fished bode lakes and only 3 times and only catching 6 bass. this time i wanted to catch one of those bode lake- poplar creek northerns that i've heard of. since all the shoreline cover had been removed on the south lake(can't see how that is good for fishing) i decided to concentrate on the north lake today, i was going to cover the whole shoreline( only 6 acres). last night i noticed that you could cross over the creek by the outflow (only 6-8" deep by the old bridge concrete) thought it might be good to try for them mid day. so off i went.got to the north lake at 1:45 sunny skys, light winds that seemed to shift around se-sw. started throwing my -1 shallow , deep nothing. crossed the creek and followed the shore around to the north end where its the deepest , nothing. switched lures to a rattlin rapala still nothing. saw big carp along shore and turtles but no other activity. all the weeds seemed brown, tried a perch colored shallow runner, nothing, on the east side now and back to the -1 and finally got a bump but no fish just before the inflow, fished there for a bit nothing else. started working my way back switching lures again to a spinnerbait all the way around to the west side and just before the creek along shore a bass crushed it at the surface and fell off ,few more casts nothing,figured i'd give him a different look and tied on storm chugbug walked the dog across that spot and a smaller bass hit it, blew the hook set. then no takers, crossed back over the creek to end my day with a skunk, switched back to the -1 and on the south side of the creek on the first point i finally landed a bass 13" 1.1 lbs, yea no skunk!
IMG_2829[1].JPG
only took 3 hours :sarcasm: cpr'd it and made 5 more casts to the same spot and hooked and landed my first bode lakes northern , a 18" 1.2 lber :D got new life in me and fished that small stretch of shore for 45 more mins. hooked 1 more small bass and lost it lifting it out of the water so in four hours i got 2 fish lost several but got my first bode lakes northern :D oh yea maybe the shooting star meteor i saw last night paid off!

18' 1.2 lb northern first of many to come though bigger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Bode lake day two 4/12/12 the search for northerns

Postby JasonN » Apr Thu 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Do we need to make you BodeJim now? Great stuff dude! Gonne feature this post on the WCF facebook page. Excellent! I'll join ya out there one evening next week.
Jason W. Norris
Managing Editor - WindyCityFishing.com
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Postby Busse Jim » Apr Thu 12, 2012 9:42 pm

sounds like a plan! i'm in , though with the rains might not be able to cross the creek. and by the way good luck up at deep lake, LOAD THE BOAT!
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby TheOzzmanDPG » Apr Fri 13, 2012 8:26 am

Bode...Fish...this must be the twilight zone. Bode, off of Bode rd? Sry, I live just up the street from Bode (Bartlet and Streamwood blvd) and I have been fishing there a few times. Most people have said that it has been overfished and there isn't anything in there and you pull out a northern(on my bucket list for this year). Way to prove them wrong...now where are my poles at, time to take a walk.
TheOzzmanDPG
Game Fish

Postby krispydave » Apr Fri 13, 2012 8:33 am

JasonN wrote:Do we need to make you BodeJim now?

seriously!
krispydave
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JasonN » Apr Fri 13, 2012 8:54 am

I've heard from reliable sources (who don't post on message boards), that Bode does indeed have a good fishery. I just don't get out there enough to chime in. With the days getting longer and the summer at out front door, I will be visiting more. Been wanting to add it to the site for a long time.
Jason W. Norris
Managing Editor - WindyCityFishing.com
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Postby nbBasshunter » Apr Fri 13, 2012 9:14 am

Bode, SERIOUSLY? It sure has been a strange year thus far seeing reports from the unlikeliest places like Big Bend and Bode not to mention a whole bunch from Busse. Perhaps I should start fishing Belleau now. Jim, I think you're just plain dang good. :thumbup:
nbBasshunter
Fishing Czar

Postby TheOzzmanDPG » Apr Fri 13, 2012 10:50 am

Anyone think it is worth wading the creek at all? Either north or going back west on the way out of bode. I have never really walked it so I was just wondering opinions.
TheOzzmanDPG
Game Fish

Postby cb-fishes » Apr Fri 13, 2012 11:47 am

TheOzzmanDPG wrote:Anyone think it is worth wading the creek at all? Either north or going back west on the way out of bode. I have never really walked it so I was just wondering opinions.

I've kayak-fished the creek before it enters Bode, and it does indeed hold fish... but all carp as far as I can tell! And skinny ones too...

I did catch a nice smallie right by the creek mouth on the west side, I guess it swam 9 miles up stream to get into Bode. Haven't fished the creek just west of there, but I hear Poplar creek where it meets up with the Fox is a sweet spot.

Nice work Jim! You are a master angler- pulling fish after fish out of thin air!
Angling Wiki: The Fishing Encyclopedia
Join the community!
http://anglingwiki.com
Fishing reports and the misadventures of learning how to fish
http://cbfishes.com
cb-fishes
Fishing Czar

Postby TheOzzmanDPG » Apr Fri 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Know of any parking in that area by the fox? Looks like an interesting spot on google maps.
TheOzzmanDPG
Game Fish

Postby pikekid96 » Apr Sun 15, 2012 6:40 pm

nice!
CPR!
pikekid96
Northern Pike

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes