Schilla Killa<-->Schiller Pond

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Schilla Killa<-->Schiller Pond

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Sun 08, 2012 10:28 am

Killed my first fish of the year at Schiller Pond yesterday.Not only did I feel embarrassed a dieing fish just floated away in front of about 20 spectators and I was really pissed it happened to be the Elusive Schilla Bass, that is totally dwindling in numbers there. I was out there doing some early season Channel Catfishing on the bottom with Canadian NightCrawlers, apparently you just throw the container on the ground somewhere when you are done, cuz they are lying around everywhere. Went to check my line after about ten minutes to see if those half dollar gills ripped me off yet and I bring in this nice 2.5-3lb largie. No fight it was like he was dead. This fish swallowed the hook, couldnt even see it anymore, so I just cut the line and released him immediately. He intially took to the water and swam off, but then turned sideways and just started floating. Dam, couldnt I have just killed one of those 2000 blue gills I've caught there in the process of finding a bass there. I was so pissed I fed the next blue gill to my dog[/b]
CIMG2560.JPG
Just kidding..... But seriously I like Schiller Pond no bass or not, even if its over run by Euros who walk passed the garbage cans and throw everything, mostly cig butts and bottles, right in the pond. Even if the usual 2 fast 2 furious club is there with their annoying mufflers(that really sound terrible, not cool) not to mention that annoying european techno dance music that is always at full bore. Heck I even deal with the dorks who bring their remote control boats there along with there parked in reverse cousins throughout the parking lot. If you ignore all the rudeness and trash everywhere, you might think it has great potential as well.
CIMG2562.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Schilla Killa<-->Schiller Pond

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Sun 08, 2012 10:35 am

---------- yea no photos of the bass because I thought he was suffering on the hook for a while before I brought him in, and I was right as he did expire..... And no cats either, I'll post them this summer when they get really active.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby pikekid96 » Apr Sun 08, 2012 3:33 pm

atleast you didnt do it on purpose, we all have those accidents
CPR!
pikekid96
Northern Pike

Postby RamblingBen » Apr Sun 08, 2012 4:57 pm

"fatalities" are part of fishing unfortunately, at least you did the best you could. It's a cool looking place, minus all the idiots.
Check out my channel http://www.youtube.com/c/TheRemedyFishingChannel for quality fly fishing videos and more
RamblingBen
Fishing Czar

Postby Jesus » Apr Wed 18, 2012 4:53 am

Cat fishin seems good there. Last time i went out there was last year and the weeds were horrible. :oops:
My name is Jesus and im addicted to fishin :D
Jesus
Fishing Fanatic

Postby ohoffm » Apr Wed 18, 2012 5:37 am

Had a similar one last year. I tried for like 20 minutes to get her to swim away. I felt so bad I had to stop fishing for the day.
The easiest way is rarely the best way
ohoffm
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Elixsmith773 » Feb Mon 20, 2017 12:32 am

But seriously I like Schiller Pond no bass or not, even if its over run by Euros who walk passed the garbage cans and throw everything, mostly cig butts and bottles, right in the pond. Even if the usual 2 fast 2 furious club is there with their annoying mufflers(that really sound terrible, not cool) not to mention that annoying european techno dance music that is always at full bore. Heck I even deal with the dorks who bring their remote control boats there along with there parked in reverse cousins throughout the parking lot. If you ignore all the rudeness and trash everywhere, you might think it has great potential as well.

Hahaha dead on description! Couldn't have said it better dude hahaha the old legend of what backing into a spot there means is still alive and well lol and I visit those woods regularly even if i ain't fishing and am with the lady I will usually pick up trash. Those woods are special to me too
Elixsmith773
Minnow

Postby Spearo » Apr Fri 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Huh..... i have never thought to give that little pond a try as the pods of people have kept me from turning in there in summer. Although the hill is good in winter. Just make sure to learn the polish swear words before you send the kids down in their sleds.
Spearo >:O
Spearo
Game Fish

Postby catchafew » Apr Fri 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Too bad for the bass. Well 1000s of other bass can thank you for the c&r you gave them, you're the Oskar Schindler of Shiller, they'll put rocks on your grave... or turds.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bassman29 » Apr Fri 28, 2017 5:53 pm

I sincerely hope the bass ended up living 5 years ago and is now thriving 5 years later. Just catch it again, cut it open and count the rings. If it has 5 then that means it's possibly the same bass from 5 years ago. If not , then it probably did infact die 5 years ago
odds are your catch was someones release...pay it forward
for homemade plastics please see link for pricing. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65154&p=661586#p661586
bassman29
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Apr Fri 28, 2017 9:14 pm

Don't worry about it Auxy I gave mouth to mouth on a crappie the other day in front of 20 people but the crappie didn't make it.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Sat 29, 2017 7:30 am

RIP Schiller Pond bass. :cry:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coyote » Apr Sat 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Wow great memories of of one of my old stomping grounds. Never caught much in that pond , but the Italian Girls from the surrounding area were the best catch around. Pop is buried in ST. Joes so i spend some time around in the area.
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ChiCityYaker » May Mon 01, 2017 8:59 pm

YOU POS!!! How could you do that to that poor bass!!!

lolol I kid I kid....that does suck but MAYBE that bass used your bait to commit suicide. Think about it...that poor bass all alone in that pond...It swallowed your hook and said "lord take the wheel". lol
Add me on social media
http://www.Instagram.com/ChiCityYaker
http://www.Twitter.com/ChiCityYaker
http://www.Facebook.com/ChiCityYaker

Subscribe to see all of my vids, reviews, tips, and vlogs
http://www.YouTube.com/ChiCityYaker
ChiCityYaker
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » May Tue 02, 2017 2:51 am

Weird how this thread got more responses in 2017 than it did 5 years ago when it happened, lol..
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby FishinMatt » May Tue 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Justice for Harambe and the Schiller Park bass!
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby BassCaster » May Tue 02, 2017 1:27 pm

How deep do you think that pond is?
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby FISHdank » May Tue 02, 2017 1:53 pm

bassman29 wrote:I sincerely hope the bass ended up living 5 years ago and is now thriving 5 years later. Just catch it again, cut it open and count the rings. If it has 5 then that means it's possibly the same bass from 5 years ago. If not , then it probably did infact die 5 years ago

You are an idiot! Lol
I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
FISHdank
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » May Tue 02, 2017 2:11 pm

BassCaster wrote:How deep do you think that pond is?

Almost double depth at the moment... usually 5-6ft in winter, that's when I measured it.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Aux Pleins » May Tue 02, 2017 2:12 pm

coyote wrote:Wow great memories of of one of my old stomping grounds. Never caught much in that pond , but the Italian Girls from the surrounding area were the best catch around. Pop is buried in ST. Joes so i spend some time around in the area.

You know the neighborhood well. Yea the Italian neighborhood is all but gone, mostly polish and Ukrainian now..
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Tue 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:
coyote wrote:Wow great memories of of one of my old stomping grounds. Never caught much in that pond , but the Italian Girls from the surrounding area were the best catch around. Pop is buried in ST. Joes so i spend some time around in the area.

You know the neighborhood well. Yea the Italian neighborhood is all but gone, mostly polish and Ukrainian now..

You say that as if it's a bad thing. :lol:

Just playin with ya.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » May Tue 02, 2017 3:36 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
Aux Pleins wrote:

You say that as if it's a bad thing. :lol:

Just playin with ya.

I don't speak a word of it. Wish I did because the neighborhood literally 60% polish 20%Ukrainian and %20 everyone else... even when I go to the grocery store the people at the register speak to me in Polish, (I don't know any) so I just nod and smile. Speaking of the grocery store, the women from the forementioned countries have an all out dress pagent when they go grocery shopping. My god, I can't take my wife it's that bad, or good :lol: Every guy in there goes home with a stiff neck from all the head spins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » May Tue 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Haha, I've noticed the same thing when I go into a Polish deli to grab some assorted Polish foods I enjoy. The younger ones are always dressed to the nines to pick up some bread and sausage. And... they love their yoga pants. Not complaining, obviously!

And yeah, being 50% Polish myself, it's one of the things I wish my Dad had followed through on, honestly. He speaks fluent Polish, as do his brother and sisters. I remember them all speaking to each other in Polish whenever we all got together at my grandma's for holidays and things like that. But he never taught any of us(me, my bro, or my sis). And come to think of it... NONE of my aunts or uncles that all speak fluent Polish ever taught any of their kids how to speak it fluently. My Dad, uncle, and four aunts all speak it fluently, all had multiple kids, but not one of us cousins knows how to speak it fluently. They never taught any of us, and there's.... 16 of us in our generation. Had never thought about it, but the fluent Polish in my family ends with my Dad's generation. Kinda sucks, honestly. I'd have to learn it on my own if I ever wanted to keep it going. Otherwise, when my aunts/uncles/dad pass away, the fluent Polish passes with them.

My other half is a mashup of British, Czech/Slovak, and Hungarian. The latter 3 of which were basically all one, at one time. They were part of Austria-Hungary. Post WW1, Austria-Hungary was split, and Czechoslovakia came to be, then in the early 90's, that split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia. So... I'm really 25% British, 25% Austrian/Hungarian/Czech/Slovak(although IDK wtf that would be considered), and 50% Polish.

Still wish I had been taught Polish growing up, though.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coyote » May Tue 02, 2017 5:00 pm

Smallies its not bad at all to have other ethnic groups in the area, just pretty sad most of the Italians from areas like Melrose, Franklin Park, Elmwood park areas and around Harlem and Grand have left the area. They made these areas what they were. I loved the time i grew up around there. If you know where the JUNGLE is and was in Franklin Park in the late 70s and early 80s , after living there i knew it was time to leave the area and did by 1986. Never caught more than a Bullhead in that pond, and back then the Law was as long as you are 15 feet from your Car you could do anything you wanted in that Forest Preserve. Btw i work with Polish and Ukranines and love there work ethic.
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Fish Sleep Repeat » May Wed 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Do you guys know usually when the annual catfish stocking in schiller pond occurs? I'd like to fish the place a lot more this year
Fish Sleep Repeat
Pan Fish

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes