Chicago Fishing Forum banner

The Other Other White Meat, Frogs Legs

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Navyfisher 
#1 ·
Here you go Pikekid, I told you I had a recipe for you today.

You might remember I caught a bunch of bull frogs last weekend?http://theimpracticalfishermen.blogspot.com/2012/05/other-white-meat.html
Since I had no stove with my kitchen being in the middle of renovation I had to figure out another method of cooking them up.

Ribbit
I decided to smoke them in my electric smoker. I pulled the legs out of their lemon saltwater bath to dry and salted them with Kosher salt to help them dry out a bit to take to the smoke while I loaded the chip tray with some soaked apple wood chips.

Ready to go
I smoked them at about 225f and checked up on them every 30 minutes or so. After about 2 hours the meat looked like it had shrunk a bit and pulled away from the bone. I made a glaze out of Sweet Baby Rays, Chipotle pepper sauce from the can and some honey. I gave them a good dose to caramelize, I tasted one and it was not too dry so I brought them in to rest. After 10 minutes resting under some tin foil I sauced them with the rest of the glaze.

BBQ Smoked Chipotle Frogs Legs done
My buddy and Marine loved them and my neighbor who grew up eating fried legs said they were better than most the frogs legs he had ever had. They lacked any swampy, muddy or fishy taste people talk about, the taste was chicken wings but the texture was more consistent than chicken wings, as they are white meat and not dark.

If you like frogs legs I recommend you try smoking them, and if you have never had frogs legs I urge you to try them.

Thanks for reading,
Dan

See less See more
#6 ·
BrookfieldAngler said:
I'm gonna have to see if I can somehow trick the wife into tasting some....
Good luck with that brother I did them when my wife was gone on purpose. :D
choupiquer said:
You must have had a ******* in the wood pile somewhere in your lineage. :wink: :thumbup:
I might... :lol:
Boogaloo said:
Sounds like a great recipe. I'd try it. Got any left overs?
I got some, hop on a plane, I'll pick you up in Fresno. :D

#8 ·
BigSlick said:
Out of curiosity - and not to be morbid - but how do you kill 'em before you begin the prep? I'm thinking maybe a hard thump on the head?
I caught them by hand wading then do a quick brain scramble with a knife, it is better to do it right when you catch them other wise you'll be rnning around your yard chasing them with the neighbors looking at you wondering...

Once you get them to where you are going to clean them use your thumb to push all their guts towards their heads and cut around the skin with a knife, use pliers to peel the skin like panty hose. Break them off at the hips with your hands or use shears and then clipp/cut off the feet. Throw them in salted water to get them to stop kicking.

#11 ·
oh man, seeing this again has me convinced ima do it! Come June 15 (Illinois frog season.. I think..?) I'll be out there catching me some lunch. The wife is not interested in even being in the house when I come home with them... Maybe she can go to Ikea

#12 ·
cb-fishes said:
oh man, seeing this again has me convinced ima do it! Come June 15 (Illinois frog season.. I think..?) I'll be out there catching me some lunch. The wife is not interested in even being in the house when I come home with them... Maybe she can go to Ikea
:thumbup:

#13 ·
June 15 - Aug 31.

I can't wait to do some froggin! I use a gig once and a while, but I prefer to grab them by hand. You can stick em in the head with a knife, or grab them around the waist and hit their head over your knee, side of the boat, cooler, etc. It doesn't take much.

Usually grill em or fry em. May have to try your recipe this season, Navy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.