Chicago Fishing Forum banner

River out west

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Aux Pleins 
#1 ·
Looked like a nice day and decided to head out in search of big pike and maybe a species I've never caught , a walleye. No walleye or big pike to be found. River was moving fast , almost too fast to paddle against. Only fish came on a big white jig while taking a paddling break at a deep hole casting for about 30 min. Also snagged a monster carp who came off as soon as I went to pick him up. Beautiful river, but very hard to figure out.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Way to avoid the skunk , I think I recognize the spot where you took that pike :wink:

Better to explore instead of doing the same old same old even if the results are tough. As you experienced there is bigger water there and it would take many outings to figure the big rivers out its not easy as our suburban rivers. More volume and current and things get pushed less structure and you don't have the luxury of plentiful laydowns and twists and turns. Fish may be more dispersed but there is opportunity of some very big fish in big rivers like that.

Kudos for you to explore its not easy but it will payoff after a few years...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.