Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Vinegar bath for cleaning your vegetables.

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Skifish1 
#1 ·
We have done this for many years to clean our vegetables besides washing them.

#4 ·
Ok, I'm game for anything that will make a vegetable not taste like a vegetable.

I prefer bacon as the base of my food pyramid. Let the pigs eat the veggies for me, then I'll eat the pigs. But please no vinegar on my bacon, not even on the side.

#5 ·
Ladies and gentlemen, I beseech you. The acetic acid in the vinegar kills all the surface mold spores, and many pathogens that cause your produce to rot in your fridges. I automatically do this when I get home from the store. I fill a big stainless steel bowl full of water with at least a cup of white vinegar. I soak every piece of produce in this solution for 5 minutes. Then they get a thorough rinse and dry--salad spinner. strawberries last 10 days, grapes too. I have not thrown out rotting produce in 30 years!

#6 ·
The nutrition content may be a tad less after the application of your process. Sadly, filth is always present. Produce also loses its nutritional content over time.....meaning, 10 day old strawberries are what they are regardless of sanitation. I was trained to rinse, dry and store for 2 days maximum. When ready to use, re-rinse, top and tail the produce, rinse again and prepare as needed. Food service sanitation is a tough one for us humans. Thus the continuance of food bourn illness in society :(

And by the way, eating dirt never helped me, just gave me dirty teeth and :moresarcasm: the $hits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.