Chicago Fishing Forum banner

How's your GAS lately?

514K views 1K replies 83 participants last post by  joetrain 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm GASin' bad...not even Tums can help. As I mentioned in a previous post, my gear acquisition syndrome has been in full beast mode since late fall and I've acquired everything from a new tackle bag (barn) to a fish finder for the yak and everything in between. Here are some of my spoils...I went feather treble crazy on my hard baits and it's been good to me, especially on the suspending jerkbaits, gives it this realistic action. Also picked up a heavier combo (Lexa 300HS w 7' Mojo Bass HF) to throw larger baits up to 1.5 OZ. It adds to my Mojo/Lexa lineup handsomely =D

... now if it was only spring ...

0115160950b.jpg

0122160926a.jpg

0122160925.jpg

0119161807a.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
rigmewacky said:
J.W. said:
Rambler, it's never good when you're expecting GAS and end up with CRAP, haha
:lol:
Hah! Reminds me of some advice my old man gave many years ago. The 3 rules for old men:

1. Never pass by a bathroom
2. Never ignore a hard on
3. Never trust a fart

BTW J.W. seems to me we met in Dec. at Beck. I stopped to talk when you were practicing skip casts. Old guy in camo rain gear.

#31 ·
Rambler said:
And what's the deal with prices on fly gear? I'd love to buy American made but $400-$800 (or more) for a rod? REALLY???
It's like golf. Companies are gonna charge what people are willing to pay for...and people are willing to pay a lot of money for some reason. There's no graphite in the world that warrants a $900 price tag.

As far as American Made, I'm sure 90% of the components on a rod are manufactured overseas. So at best, you're getting an Assembled In America rod.

#32 ·
Dr: No doubt you're correct. It's the 'inelastic pricing' model.

But I cringe at the comparison of fishing and golf. I played golf once back in '71 or '72 and promised myself to never make that mistake again and I've kept the promise. No doubt this has effected my career - I've witnessed many poorly thought through business deals being concluded on the golf course by senior management types.

Re: American made. I've accepted that I'll have to buy an Asian-made rod since I'm not quite crazy enough to spend several hundred on something I might break by doing something stupid (it's been known to happen). But what about line? In the mono world most line is US-made but I can't seem to figure out what fly brands are US made. Any thoughts?

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
Last round of GAS till ice out I hope. I think I have just about everything I need and I'm pretty sure I can't fit anything else in my new upgraded larger tackle bag...the next one will need wheels. Got some more XPS jerkbaits, some BPS cranks to see how they work, a red mini Whopper Plopper for the river in Indiana, some jigs and a whole lineup of badass frogs, and cant forget feather hooks! Also making a rod holder/gearbox for the back of my yak. My 2 Lexa 100s are with AC Slayer for a tuneup and I'll be picking up some new braid...other than that I'm ready for the fishing apocalypse.

0127162113a.jpg

Attachments

#34 ·
polishfly said:
Last round of GAS till ice out I hope. I think I have just about everything I need and I'm pretty sure I can't fit anything else in my new upgraded larger tackle bag...the next one will need wheels. Got some more XPS jerkbaits, some BPS cranks to see how they work, a red mini Whopper Plopper for the river in Indiana, some jigs and a whole lineup of badass frogs, and cant forget feather hooks! Also making a rod holder/gearbox for the back of my yak. My 2 Lexa 100s are with AC Slayer for a tuneup and I'll be picking up some new braid...other than that I'm ready for the fishing apocalypse.

Good choice on AC Slayer for your reels. Ben does a great job.

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
Went to the Fishing Show today with my buddy and I'm proud to say I did really good! I only got 1 thing :) My first e-bait! We'll see if its worth the hype but for $15 I couldn't pass up the custom tech bait since every other mass produced e-bait right now is at that price tag or higher. I will be going in after this one though if it snags up on something. Good size for pike and big bass. Inventor was the guy selling em from Kentucky and was a really cool dude!

0128162028a.jpg

Attachments

#37 ·
i've been good so far this winter. my only purchase thus far has been a kastking rod rack which I highly recommend. so much better than the POS orgranized fishing rack I had before. I do have a $100 BPS giftcard burning a hole in my pocket. trying to hold out to the spring classic and do a rod trade in for one of the new Mojo bass rods.

#42 ·
I've been meaning to take some pics of all my gear and lures but if my wife actually sees how much crap I have she'll know I have a serious problem :D

#48 ·
polishfly said:

You know have serious GAS when your loading up on Frogs and the lakes are frozen.

#49 ·
Aux Pleins said:
You know have serious GAS when your loading up on Frogs and the lakes are frozen.
It is awesome when they blow through the weed mat and crush the frog. It would be even more awesome and WCF youtube channel worthy if you could get one to blow through 9" of ice to crush it.

#51 ·
Aux Pleins said:
polishfly said:

You can never have enough frogs! I just got a nories nf60 frog from Japan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.