Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Best Chicago Steak?

20K views 71 replies 48 participants last post by  badger75 
#1 ·
Where's the best steak in Chicago?

I've had Wildfire, but never Gibson's or Gene & Georgetti's or any of the other famous Chicago steak houses. Want to make a point to do this.

#27 ·
Used to be the Chop House for me, last experience left a bit to be desired, but the first 8 were outstanding.

Not sure what the hype is about Ruth Chris' ... in my mind, you shouldn't have to butter your steak ... perfect steak should speak for itself. just my personal take.

#28 ·
Keefers is one of my favorites. All of them are similar -same beef, similar sides and a huge check. I've tried quite a few. My most disappointing one was Gene & Georgetti because they don't care about you unless you're a someone or if you frequent them often. If I'm paying that price, I expect decent service. If you're in Skokie or Wilmette, I like EJ's.

#33 ·
Well I broke the cherry Sat. at Gibsons in Oak Brook. I was impressed. When the waiter came by with the plate of meats. I thought this guy is pulling my leg those slabs were the size of hub caps. Potatoes the size of footballs. Ask for some cake you get a 1/4 of a cake. Had a great time. I will go back some time.

#35 ·
If i am going to go somewhere other than my grill for a steak. It's Gibson's. Chicago Cut bone-in Ribeye cooked on an infra-red grill. I'm drooling now. On the flip side, I have had the worst steak of my life at Wildfire. Complete garbage never to return. Every restaraunt has a bad day. But, I just can't go there ever again.

#38 ·
my house.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=25242

been into hugos frog bar as of late. owned by gibsons so the steaks are great and have a wider selection of fish then the typical gibson steakhouse...case n point... crawfish mac n cheese.
if near rosemont I always choose mortons over gibsons since gibsons I find to be a little more cramped. david burkes prime downtown is on my list next.

#40 ·
The biggest, baddest, best, and most expensive steak dinner I ever had was at Smith and Wollensky. Its pricey but really good. Fulton's on the river was good, I think they're closed now. Since I like to eat til I pass out, I like to hit up those Brazilian steak houses. As others have said the Brazilian steak houses are much different than a classis steak house, but it definitely fills the meat fix. I prefer Texas de Brazil over Fogo de chao.

#43 ·
I'm obsessed with fishing but even more obsessed with a great steak. Been to Ruth's Chris, Gibson's, Kinzie Chop House, Wildfire, Gene and Georgetti's, Chicago Chop House, and Morton's. Top IMO is Chicago Chop House. Their dry aging is excellent and they have a bone-in fillet that is obscenely succulent. Their Tomahawk ribeye or porterhouse will not disappoint either. Second on my list is Morton's. I have not had a chance to try Burke's but have heard great things. Also heard Ditka's will pleasantly surprise you with their steaks.

#44 ·
Had the chance a few years back to eat at the Fogo in Sao Paulo, Brazil. I think that was their first or second restaurant. It was a gluttonous experience, to say the least, and far superior to what I've had at their restaurants here in the states. The meats were different (chicken hearts and other unidentifiable cuts) and the Argentinian beef was out of this world. I'd go back in a heartbeat if given the chance, but I'd rather have a traditional steakhouse around here.

#46 ·
I've tried a bunch of the local high end steak places over the year. I think the best steak I've had was at Roka Akor (high end Japanese Steak and sushi place in Old Orchard) but the total dining experience was just so-so for the price. Capital Grill is probably my favorite followed by Morton's.

I think regardless of which place you go to, the cut of meat is important, as others have mentioned choose a bone-in cut.

#47 · (Edited by Moderator)
Aux Pleins said:
If you wanna keep it gangster, hit Tom's Steakhouse in Melrose Park. Watch out for the goodfellas, there are still a few of those old coots still hanging out in there.
If they have a "funeral menu" it has to be old school gangster........

Toms.png

Attachments

#49 ·
I've been in many a high end steakhouse kitchen doing work as an HVAC and refrigeration mechanic, including a few of the exact places mentioned. I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but if you've seen the condition of some of the kitchens or see some of the stuff that's going on back there, you'd wonder how people aren't dropping like flies, let alone how the steaks are so good. I still enjoy a restaurant from time to time, but I really have to get the "out of sight, out of mind" juices flowing. I say, hit up Paulina Meat Market or any other reputable, legit butcher, order a bone-in something or other, and get good at cooking it. FWIW, best steak I ever had at ANY restaurant was when I was in the Navy in Japan, and it was either a Kobe or Wagyu steak. Ridiculously tender, and a richness in beef flavor that I've never had in the states.

#50 ·
McChou said:
Used to be the Chop House for me, last experience left a bit to be desired, but the first 8 were outstanding.

Not sure what the hype is about Ruth Chris' ... in my mind, you shouldn't have to butter your steak ... perfect steak should speak for itself. just my personal take.
Agreed. You can slather a much cheaper cut in butter and make it taste just as good.

Tavern on Rush is the go-to for me and the wife. Chop House and Chicago Cut are two other good bets. David Burke's is great, but overpriced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.