Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Smallmouth

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  JB 
#1 ·
I've been fortunate enough to fish Pickwick lake in Alabama four times. Pickwick lake is part of the Tennessee River and it's well known for big smallmouth bass. Three of my fishing trips were guided by Steve Hacker.

My last trip to Pickwick was about 6 years ago. For this trip, I asked Steve to put me on a multispecies catch. He didn't let me down.

After catching a large drum and a big channel cat, we moved on to striper territory. I caught a couple stripers and even landed a fairly rare for that area, hybrid striped bass. It was now time for yellow and white bass. It seems like everything in Pickwick just runs big! After I caught a good-sized largemouth bass, it was time to fish for smallies.

I only landed two smallies as it was nearing the end of my guided trip. Steve weighed the larger of the two fish at 6lb 4oz.

After we released the fish, I remarked that I hadn't measured it. From what I understand, it's fairly rare to measure smallmouth in Pickwick Lake. I told Steve that if anyone asked me how long the bass was, I would simply say '6lb 4oz'!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice video, Ron. I saw Kansas with Styx at the Tweeter or was it the World Music Center...whatever that place was called.

That is a huge bass, Joe! I've been to the Boundary Waters and Quetico Park several times. My biggest measured smallie from the BWCAW was 21.5". At lot of great memories from up there. I began fishing Door County several years ago. So many 19"-21" smallies that I've lost count. Got my second heaviest bass at 5lb 12oz there.

#5 ·
Don your fish has to be 23 or more. Quetico is a phenomenal smallmouth bass fishery. I have gone there every year since 83. My wife caught a 25 inch bass there. It didn't even phase her. When I landed it for her she said " is that a big one?"

If you ever get up to North Bay let me know. I know some big fish spots there.
~JOE~

#10 ·
Thanks Joe...I'll definitely hit you up for info if I ever make it back up there!

Ron...20 years..ugh..just hope the next 20 go by a bit slower!

Thanks for the kind words.
Caught it on a generic swim jig with a generic tail.
The fight was good, but not nearly as good as many smaller fish I've landed.

#14 ·
Nice smallies! Love those fish. My favorite freshwater fish to catch. My PB, was from July of 2009. This was in Illinois, as well. Never weighed. And between 22-24 inches. Had to push 6lbs, or possibly break it. No scale, and no tape with us. I keep a tailor's flex tape in my vest ever since this day. Got a measurement along the rod, though, and is somewhere in that range. Released back to be caught another day. :thumbup:

Edit: Had put a pic, but nah, not gonna hijack your thread. Nice fish, though! :D

#15 ·
SmalliesNEyes said:
Nice smallies! Love those fish. My favorite freshwater fish to catch. My PB, was from July of 2009. This was in Illinois, as well. Never weighed. And between 22-24 inches. Had to push 6lbs, or possibly break it. No scale, and no tape with us. I keep a tailor's flex tape in my vest ever since this day. Got a measurement along the rod, though, and is somewhere in that range. Released back to be caught another day. :thumbup:

Edit: Had put a pic, but nah, not gonna hijack your thread. Nice fish, though! :D
Thanks! Very cool of you to not want to hijack...but now I really want to see the fish you caught!

#16 ·
DonR said:
SmalliesNEyes said:

Thanks! Very cool of you to not want to hijack...but now I really want to see the fish you caught!
It's up in the Hall of Fame now. :thumbup:

#17 ·
Then there was my best for sizes, river wade trip. There have been days wading the bays of Door County which have produced better numbers and sizes. Times when there are so many fish in the 18 to 20+ inch range that we don't even pause to take photos. Not taking anything away from those awesome times, but I really prefer wading rivers and catching river smallies!!!

Several years ago I went wade fishing the Wisconsin River. Saturday saw decent numbers and a 19.5" smallie to hand. Sunday we changed locations and I was lucky enough to land smallies of 17.5, 18, 18.5, 19, 20 and 20.5"! I also caught good numbers in the 15 to 17 inch range that day.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.