Chicago Fishing Forum banner

124 Fish in 4 Hours

8K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  DonR 
#1 ·
I don't fish for quality fish, I just go fishing and see what happens. This day I got quantity and a quality few thrown in.

Four hours of fishing starting at sunrise.

First hour, 45 smallies landed.
Four hours later, 124 smallies landed.

Figure missing one for every two landed, probably more.

Just about 18 inches on this one, not including that odd spike on the tail.

Figure 20 percent for the day measured 14 inches or better.

See less See more
#7 ·
I have all kinds of pictures of big fish.
I decided to go with the most memorable outing.

Had a couple of other memorable outings, but pictures don't tell the story.

That was in September of last year as the water was coming down on the Fox after hitting over 19,000 cfs a couple of weeks earlier. I guess I was in the right place, right time and the fish were very hungry.

#12 ·
Congrats! That's a crazy amount of smallies in such a short time!

Kinda reminds me of our wade trips on the Apple River several years ago. In two consecutive trips we landed over 100 smallies each. I remember you stopped fishing for a while to let me catch up! That year I had four Apple wade trips in a row with over 100 smallies (including the two above) for a total of 490 bass.
Very long days, sore legs, lots of laughs and great memories to look back on!

#14 ·
bassman29 said:
DonR said:
Kinda reminds me of our wade trips on the Apple River several years ago.
this was several years ago....original post is from 2009.
So what you're saying is, it's possible this was the same wade trip he's talking about?

#15 ·
JustinCarf said:
bassman29 said:
DonR said:
Kinda reminds me of our wade trips on the Apple River several years ago.
this was several years ago....original post is from 2009.
So what you're saying is, it's possible this was the same wade trip he's talking about?
exactly. or maybe he is from the past....got in the delorean and came to present day in order to post on what for him is current. MIND BLOWN. either way thats quite a haul for 1 day

#18 ·
What the hell Don. I hardly ever post on here any more, but I do lurk. Was surprised to see you make an appearance a few weeks ago. Toyed with the idea of giving you a hard time, but decided to leave it alone. Looked like help wasn't needed. :p

Thought you gave up on all the forums a long time ago.

Nice to see your still alive.

What are you doing dredging up old posts? That's why I felt compelled to respond to you.
I'd hardly make the Hall of Fame any more. Unless they come up with an Asshole Hall of Fame. I can win that hands down, just turn me loose.

The 124 smallies that day was a total fluke and happened down stream from where the shop was. Figured after a flood the fish would be hungry and I got it right for once. I don't expect to ever see that on the Fox again. One of it's creeks, yes, but not the Fox.

As for our Apple trips, those are the ones where I coined the term Death March. The one trip where I let you catch up, it was dark, we still had a good quarter mile of river to wade down and neither one of us could feel anything below our knees. Not sure how we made it back to the car and then drove home without getting ourselves killed. But I do remember laughing like hell the whole time. Oh yeah, we had the windows down all the way in the car on the way home to keep from falling asleep at the wheel.

This year I got bored to death with the Fox and don't see myself fishing it much anymore. The creeks, sure, but I've pounded the hell out of the Fox and it doesn't hold any surprises for me any more. I do enjoy wandering down it and exploring the islands taking pictures. Why bring a fishing pole at that point, it gets in the way.

You should post here more often when the fishing heats up. Give my lurking some meaning. As for your foot, had that in both of them 3 years ago. Stretch it till you cry, then stretch it some more. Took a few months, but mine are back to normal. Stay out of the Obits old man.

And Ron, someone tried using KenG, no space, years ago on another site. I hunted him down, killed him and the remains will never be found.
Enjoy your writing by the way.

#20 ·
Skifish1 said:
Funny stuff. Nothing wrong with dragging up old stuff and doing memory lane this time of year...
HA! I'll be 60 in less than a couple of months. Getting to the point where that's all I got left.

I'm turning into my dad.

Damn punk kids.

Get off my river.

#22 ·
I miss the earlier days when I lived in Montgomery. 30 and 40 fish days weren't out of the norm in a few hours of fishing. Some whereservoir between then and now the fish got smart or I just suck :oops:
KG alive and well 8) figured u threw out your Internet. :wink:

#23 ·
HnG said:
I miss the earlier days when I lived in Montgomery. 30 and 40 fish days weren't out of the norm in a few hours of fishing. Some whereservoir between then and now the fish got smart or I just suck :oops:
KG alive and well 8) figured u threw out your Internet. :wink:
I've noticed my fish catching on the Fox plummeted with my interest level. Other places I still do just fine.
Sometimes a change of scenery is all that's needed.

No, I'm still around, just not forums. I prefer lurking on them. Had to give a shout out to Don since he started up this old thread.
I'll be crawling back in my hermit hole again. Kind of like it there. :D

Skifish1 said:
I'm only 6 years behind you but I could tell you I feel like 70 after grinding in current for 5 hours today
That's the funny part. Walking on land is the killer for me. In the water and afterward I feel fine. Water therapy, must be something to it after all. My bones don't hurt any where near as much. The muscles ache a bit, but I can live with that.

#24 ·
Ken said:
Was surprised to see you make an appearance a few weeks ago. Toyed with the idea of giving you a hard time, but decided to leave it alone. Looked like help wasn't needed. :p

What are you doing dredging up old posts?

You should post here more often when the fishing heats up. Give my lurking some meaning.
Yup, Thurston did a fine job of giving me a hard time.

Dredged up the old post cuz you are one of the few people I recognize on here.

Doubt I'll post reports. Lurk I will. Enjoy your stories I do.

#26 ·
Hey Don , you should remember me as well . You caught a 20 incher by an island in my river years back .

60 years old Feb 2017 plan on retirement from work at that point .

My creeky old knees are fine in water , it's dry land like Ken that gets them .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.