Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Bears thread

45K views 321 replies 40 participants last post by  Luckydawg13 
#1 ·
I'm a pretty big Bears fan, figure I'm not the only one. How are you guys feeling about the season coming up? I think we will have a pretty average record, long shot to get into the playoffs partly because of the division we are in. I'm really excited to watch the front seven on D. That is where they have been building the foundation of the team and I think this will be the year the Bears D reestablishes itself. Hicks, Goldman, and Bullard have the potential to become the best defensive line in the league in my opinion (also sounds like a law firm). Maybe Deiondre Hall will surprise us in the secondary like Adrian Amos did last year. Offense a lot will depend on the line which is starting to look shaky with injuries. It will be fun to see Kevin White get to play, hopefully the running backs too. Can't wait for football!

#27 ·
Excellent game overall. Highlight of the second half was Jordan Howard gaining 100+ yards including a nice pass reception and a touchdown run. I know a lot of people are down on the Bears but I think they are going to surprise. Saying it now.

Robbie Gould another extra point. Bad hold this time but still wow...

#30 ·
Big roster moves Sunday.

- Signed recently released Packers All-Pro Guard Josh Sitton which significantly elevates one of our main areas of concern, offensive line. Take that, Coyote. It will be interesting to see what happens with Cody Whitehair. He will compete for and probably win the center job this year, but Grasu will return from injury next year. Whitehair can play anywhere on the line really so it gives a lot of flexibility to play the best players.

- Released Robbie Gould :shock: Gould is a Bears all time great and its sad to see, but he was starting to get a little shaky.

- Signed Connor Barth to replace Gould. He was recently released by the Saints and has ties to Ryan Pace. Also comparable stats to Gould.

- They made some other moves, switching an offensive lineman, tight end , and cornerback from the original 53 man roster for guys released by other teams. I forget who they were lol. Also assigned 7 guys or so the practice squad including Braverman and Braunecker.

#32 ·
Good moves, but....... Sitton has had back problems, are they more severe than the team let on?? If it was just a money move, then its a great deal. As for Gould, he was the best, but after he was hurt a couple of years ago, he never returned to his once perfect self.

#34 ·
FishinMatt said:
Packers are smart. Release Sitton from a big contract when they start noticing decline. Straight out of the Patriots playbook.
Agreed. He is still a major improvement to an already injury hampered Bears line, we signed him for 3 years $21.75 mil, $10 mil guaranteed, plenty of cap space left. Our long term solution at left guard is 2nd rounder Cody Whitehair, but our center Hroniss Grasu is out for the year and his replacement Ted Larsen is awful. The Sitton signing allows us to move Whitehair to center to compete with Larsen for the time being. Then eventually Sitton declines, doesn't cost much, Whitehair to LG and Grasu to C.

#36 ·
What part of it? The fact that cutler got sacked every time he dropped back in the second half or the fact that they actually had the lead at half all through the air against a really good defense?

#37 ·
Rough loss but not such a discouraging game. Score should have been 19-14 but the officials gave Houston a first down on a QB sneak where Ostweiler went nowhere (I'm assuming Houston would have made a fied goal).

It's a young team that hasn't played together yet. Sitton wasn't on our team a week ago. We still played well enough to lead for the first half against a very highly ranked defense and Brock Osweiler who looked pretty damn good today. Leonard Floyd looked great, some big run stops and his first sack with Goldman which came close to removing Ostweiler's helmet. Clearly messed him up for the rest of the drive. Deiondre Hall continues to play well. Did get burned by a guy with a 4.3 40 yard dash but successfully defended the same guy multiple times. Eddie Royal put up numbers and can still walk. We have a relatively weak schedule this year and I think we showed today we can execute at a fairly high level, just need to be consistent.

Kevin White did not play well. Mental mistakes. Would have liked to have heard from Bullard and Howard as well.

Green Bay game was close vs. Jacksonville. I bet we split with you guys at a minimum this year.

#39 ·
My Bears interest has been on the slide for a few years now along with the whole Pro league. I kinda like college ball better and by Sunday I am footballed out. Plus I have ZERO interest this year in even considering turning a Pro game on until after the kickoff and the anthem has been played.

#41 ·
ffishman said:
Kevin White, a college graduate and he cannot remember plays from the playbook. Interesting.
Agreed he had a full season to do nothing but rehab and read the play book. But then again it is always easier to learn through the motions and not via the book.

#48 ·
I went in to the season thinking we were mediocre and didn't see anything to change that. Seems like every year, there are 4 or 5 elite teams, 4 or 5 really bad teams, and a whole lot of who the hell knows in the middle. I think the Bears fall into that latter category. Don't think they are quite as bad as the national media guys are predicting, but that 2nd half was brutal. Houston's D is gonna wreck alot of game plans this year though. We'll see..long season still ahead.

#49 ·
Monday Night Football! I wish they still had that guy sing the are you ready for some football song. I sure am. Philadelphia sports fans are a bit on the skeevy side would you say? Hoping the defense gives Wentz a little dose of reality and the offense takes care of the rest (including >8.2 fantasy points for Alshon, I'm paired up against my boss this week and its all I need to win).

Bearce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.