Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Braidwood

12K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bassin' Ted 
#1 ·
My son's HS fishing club is headed to Braidwood tomorrow after school. Most will be shore fishing some from a boat. I haven't been to Braidwood in years. Is it weedy? Any idea what I should pack for him? He has a good idea of how to fish bass lures.

#2 ·
Braidwood lake can be a really tough bass bite this time of year. Nearly all of the weeds were killed off by the plant many years ago, and the fishing took a big hit because of it.

Heavy shad population, so keep that in mind. A lot of fish school up and follow clouds of shad right now.

From shore, I would work spinnerbaits, rattle traps, cranks, or jig and plastics for fishing a little deeper.

#4 ·
Bobba Down said:
Braidwood lake can be a really tough bass bite this time of year. Nearly all of the weeds were killed off by the plant many years ago, and the fishing took a big hit because of it.

Heavy shad population, so keep that in mind. A lot of fish school up and follow clouds of shad right now.

From shore, I would work spinnerbaits, rattle traps, cranks, or jig and plastics for fishing a little deeper.
I've actually had some very good days in September and October in the past at Braidwood. Granted, I fish in a boat so it's hard for me to give good shore fishing advice. But I would pitch reeds, c-rigs and shakey on dropoffs, and swimjigs and chatterbaits were the baits that worked well for me. I did always stick to the cold water side.

#6 ·
Went about a month ago, 104 fish between me and my buddy. All largemouth. Most were smaller (9-13") but we did have a few 16+ inchers. Drop shot was the hot tactic, though swim jigs, cranks, jerk baits, spinners and a few others worked as well. Caight them all over, trees, open water, points, etc.

That was my first time out there, doubt ill ever reproduce those numbers again. Sure was fun though.

#7 ·
Plan on working Braidwood more this year - was out a few times in late summer, water was over 100 on the hot side, only got a few fish but explored a lot of water. I prefer cranks, any tips on types or colors? Also for pitching you prefer beavers? lizards? flukes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.