Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Bears thread

45K views 321 replies 40 participants last post by  Luckydawg13 
#1 ·
I'm a pretty big Bears fan, figure I'm not the only one. How are you guys feeling about the season coming up? I think we will have a pretty average record, long shot to get into the playoffs partly because of the division we are in. I'm really excited to watch the front seven on D. That is where they have been building the foundation of the team and I think this will be the year the Bears D reestablishes itself. Hicks, Goldman, and Bullard have the potential to become the best defensive line in the league in my opinion (also sounds like a law firm). Maybe Deiondre Hall will surprise us in the secondary like Adrian Amos did last year. Offense a lot will depend on the line which is starting to look shaky with injuries. It will be fun to see Kevin White get to play, hopefully the running backs too. Can't wait for football!

#104 ·
I'm watching the end of the game thinking all the Bears have to do is prevent the deep ball and they force OT. Boom, 60 yard strike to Nelson. It is laughable, and btw the Packers are not very good either. Offensively they always have a shot with Rodgers but their defense is miserable

#106 ·
ohoffm said:
These bears are genuises. They proved they could beat the packers if they wanted to but did not score and gave up a big play to lose the game in order to ensure a higher draft pick :)
There have been a few losses at the very end under suspicious circumstances lately. Given that we are out of the playoffs you really have to wonder if the call to tie it with a FG instead of go for the win came from upstairs. I have plenty of ideas for what we can do in the draft so I don't totally mind lol.

#108 ·
Aux Pleins said:
Boers and Bernstein are still saying Jay is the starter and the best chance we've got at winning a superbowl. :roll:

I had to listen to those morons say that every time someone complained about Jay. Finally glad it's all over.
Their show is terrible. Has been for years.

Cutler is a below average QB. Maybe the most over rated and paid in the history of the NFL.

#110 ·
Kamala said:
Aux Pleins said:
Boers and Bernstein are still saying Jay is the starter and the best chance we've got at winning a superbowl. :roll:

I had to listen to those morons say that every time someone complained about Jay. Finally glad it's all over.

Cutler is a below average QB. Maybe the most over rated and paid in the history of the NFL.
B&B is the best sports show in the history of Chicago sports radio. Sure, it's not what it was when it was the midday show and some of Bernstein's pet causes (PSU) become tiresome but it was still the best show out there. Really hope they pair Bernstein with Rozner.

#111 ·
Bassin' Ted said:
Kamala said:
Aux Pleins said:

B&B is the best sports show in the history of Chicago sports radio
Yeah, in the "great history of Chicago sports talk." The national sports talk shows, blows their show, and the Scores lineup away.

#112 ·
Kamala said:
Bassin' Ted said:
Yeah, in the "great history of Chicago sports talk." The national sports talk shows, blows their show, and the Scores lineup away.
Which ones? ESPN is terrible. Their daily shows are awful. Mike and Mike is such scripted, ESPN-directed garbage. Dan Patrick is probably the best out there but I still don't want to listen to him everyday since he talks about a lot of sports I am not interested in. Simmons is decent in small doses until he starts talking about reality TV or has another Lena Dunham interview. Plus, he is so thin-skinned and whiney it does make it hard to listen to him. I know some guys rave about Lebatard but I listened to a few of his shows before stopping. Curious who you think is so good.

#114 ·
Bears are currently third in draft order and have the same record as Jacksonville who is 4th, but its possible both lose next week and they move ahead of us, as the tiebreaker is strength of schedule and the current margin is thin enough it could flop next week.

#115 ·
Bassin' Ted said:
Kamala said:
Bassin' Ted said:
Which ones? ESPN is terrible. Their daily shows are awful. Mike and Mike is such scripted, ESPN-directed garbage. Dan Patrick is probably the best out there but I still don't want to listen to him everyday since he talks about a lot of sports I am not interested in. Simmons is decent in small doses until he starts talking about reality TV or has another Lena Dunham interview. Plus, he is so thin-skinned and whiney it does make it hard to listen to him. I know some guys rave about Lebatard but I listened to a few of his shows before stopping. Curious who you think is so good.
http://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/

http://www.sbnationradio.com/

http://www.nbcsportsradio.com/

http://radio.cbssports.com/

Plenty of on air talent to choose from.

#116 ·
Ted, I take it you are into analytics and hard data. For me the show is repetitive. The hosts have their opinions which are often valid and take calls from passionate, often uneducated fans, then proceed to make fun of them and tear them apart. It just gets old to me after awhile. If I want to look at analytical data there are a multitude of sites out there with great information. Not a huge fan of Espn programming, but I usually only listen to B&B when Espn is on commercial break.

#117 ·
FishinMatt said:
Ted, I take it you are into analytics and hard data. For me the show is repetitive. The hosts have their opinions which are often valid and take calls from passionate, often uneducated fans, then proceed to make fun of them and tear them apart. It just gets old to me after awhile. If I want to look at analytical data there are a multitude of sites out there with great information. Not a huge fan of Espn programming, but I usually only listen to B&B when Espn is on commercial break.
You're right- I love the data especially for baseball. Fangraphs is one of my favorite sites as is looking at hockey metrics. You're right about B&B and their caller bashing. It was their shtick and I've never been a huge fan of it. I guess overall I just hate the sugar-coating of sports that come from ESPN and other national media outlets. It's what happens when ESPN has huge multi-year contracts with leagues. How can you be so honest and critical when you are televising their games and you want to get another deal in the future? And team reporters are the worst. They are just mouthpieces for the team. I don't care about hearing anything Tracey Myers ever says.

I would much rather listen to the Score and their raw reporting of sports and opinions from hosts than the cleaned-up product that ESPN provides. Have you ever heard what McNeil said he couldn't discuss while he was a host for ESPN? Can't remember it completely but it spoke volumes about the product that ESPN wants to present to its listeners. Podcasts are a great source for honest reporting. The Five Hole by Faxes from Uncle Dale (formerly the Committed Indian) gives a brutally honest and vulgar podcast about the Hawks which is better than anything you'll hear from professional media. If you like the Hawks it is a must listen. Not surprisingly, those guys are huge fans of the B&B show.

Yeah, I listen to a lot shows and podcasts. I almost always am listening to something while fishing.

#119 ·
Ugly season, but I expect a big jump next year. We have a ton of young guys, some who will be standouts and some who will be role-players, who are accumulating experience faster than their peers on most other teams. We also have a very high slot in the draft order, a ton of cap space, and a GM who I think will ultimately be defined by the results of the moves he makes this off-season. Personally I would like to see it go like this:

Trade 2018 1st rounder and 2017 4th rounder to New England for Arlington Heights native and potential Busse veteran Jimmy Garapolo, QB.
Trade 2017 1st rounder for lower 2017 1st rounder and add'l 2017 pick. Take a DB in the first round.
Grab at least one OT and a QB (Pat Mahomes would be ideal) & TE with higher remaining picks. Draft a return man if you have to also, get one somehow.

Sign a free agent DB, if we drafted a safety sign corner and vice versa.
Sign free agent receiver talent.
Sign free agent OT
But very importantly no blockbuster deals. That comes the year after we surprise people, leave some cap space for when it happens. No Eric Berry :(

Issue here is Garapolo's contract is almost up. Assuming we could get some kind of new deal agreed to before committing to the trade. That does happen though and he is a local and likely would like to be here. And hopefully the Osweiler situation drops the value contracts expected by unproven backup free agents.

It is unnerving cutting deals with Belichek but I like this better than sticking with Cutty or putting it all on the shoulders of a rookie from a less than stellar QB class. And I don't get fired if it happens and doesn't work out.

#121 ·
coyote said:
Corners suck, safeties suck, wide receivers really totally suck, no depth at Running back, no Quarterback with the softest schedule in the league . Winning 3 games shows how bad they and the Coach who cant coach anymore are. Simple as that. Go Pack.
Cam Meredith is solid and your RB is a receiver. Our receivers prefer to throw TD passes when the play out of position :p

#122 ·
I would really like the Bears to want the ball when they win the coin flip! Don't see much confidence
in their offence when they defer while playing in a domed stadium. There's too many times where they
are already losing before the offense even steps on the field. They are last in takeaways, so what's the
point.

#123 ·
Just cause they throw to Meredith does not mean he is good. Someone has to get the ball thrown to him when there is no on else to toss too. This show how old i am but to my point, ill never forget in 1978 Falcons had a guy named Billy Ryckman he was the worst and slowest split end i ever saw. He led the team in receptions with 45 by 1980 he was out of the league.Cam did toss a nice pass though. Eddie Royal was a pretty good player too bad he got hurt he could have taught these other clowns how to play the game.

#124 ·
I'll say what I've said at least once every year since idiot Mike McKaskey fired Jerry Vainisi in '86 after they won the Super Bowl.

It all starts at the top. This team will struggle until the McKaskeys - the absolute worst owners in professional sports - sell the team. The '85 Bears were built by Jim Finks who was hired by Mugsy Halas - the last of the family with a clue. 2006 was anecdotal proof of the blind squirrel story.

Unfortunately the McCaskeys have structured things that between having to pay off the vestiges of the Halas family and paybacks to the NFL make a sale highly unattractive.

BTW - for proof of how a change of ownership effects a team we only have to look to the Cubs.

#126 ·
Great post Rambler. Nobody has a clue and it is a revolvimg door of failed experiments. The Bears philosophy with high picks is they like to take the "best athlete" then play him out of position while the rest of the NFL laughs at the choice of a player they could of had 2 rounds later. It becomes more laughable as the rest of the league becomes more dependant on using analytics on grading and ultimately selecting players while the Bears front office seems to be throwing darts while blind folded. The only other teams in modern history that were that awful were the Bucs and Lions, but even they have turned the corner. The only way the Bears ever have any chance of putting a consistent winner on the field is an ownership change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.