Chicago Fishing Forum banner

First swim in Beck

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  urbanHog312 
#1 ·
Took out my new kayak and fishfinder to try everything out. Water was about 42 degrees. Threw a wacky rigged senko around in the flooded trees on the west side, tossed around a crank bait for some pike I marked but no bites. Stupidly flipped the boat while trying to un-snag a lure from the trees on the island. Fortunately everything was tethered, water was knee deep and I was wearing a 3mm wetsuit, Merino and quick drying over pants so I was plenty warm even while soaked.

Better luck next time I guess.

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't think Beck allows swimming, I think I have seen no swimming signs there... :wink:

Lucky you didn't lose anything. One thing I do is if you have lure boxes laying around make sure at least one of the snaps are closed. If you flip or you simply knock a box overboard it will float. I've lost lures by being lazy before and not closing the snaps.

#6 ·
Did you get the crankbait back from the island? I will keep my eye out. Let me know what kind it was and I will return it if I find it!

#8 ·
Great picture. Takes me back to an awful winter day in the mid-60s. My best buddy & I hiked around Beck & when we got over to that marshy area we started walking on the ice. We broke through & wound up hiking the rest of the way in the freezing cold water.

Neither of us had waterproof boots. Can't remember how long it took to dry out my old Sears combat boots. Also don't remember how long it took our feet to warm up once we got back to the car. Didn't know anything about hypothermia which may help explain why neither of us got it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.