Chicago Fishing Forum banner

5/31 dead gills

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Frogger 
#1 ·
Roamed the SE section a bit. Carps jumping like mad. Lots of bass in the shallow and the weeds were thick. I threw everthing at them but they weren't interested at all. I assumed it was the typical spawning behavior so I quickly stopped bothering them.

What's with all those dead bluegills everywhere?

#2 ·
Hella dead gills right? Odd.

I've over fished that area the past few weeks so I'm going to give it a rest for a while and let the fish become more active again.

I will however probably be out there at some point tonight at a different location somewhere.

My brother and I were out there Sunday night and all that was caught was an 8" dink on my part.

Did get some pretty cool pictures though with my phone:

---

---

#3 ·
Nice pics! And on your phone!?

I was there Saturday and see the dead gills, quite the stench growing there. The fingers were more loaded but it was better on other side of lake.

TONS of carp were by the bird house having a carp orgy, or whatever it is they do for fun.

#6 ·
WrenchingnFishing said:
I am guessing it is an I-phone you are using for the pics... I am thinking about getting one myself. But damn are they confusing!
The phone I have is a Motorola Z9 which has the same megapixel camera as the iphone (2mp).

#7 ·
webofsnyderman said:
WrenchingnFishing said:
I am guessing it is an I-phone you are using for the pics... I am thinking about getting one myself. But damn are they confusing!
The phone I have is a Motorola Z9 which has the same megapixel camera as the iphone (2mp).
hahha, Gotcha! ;)

#8 ·
WrenchingnFishing said:
webofsnyderman said:
WrenchingnFishing said:
hahha, Gotcha! ;)
:wink: :)

#9 ·
The dead gills can be from fertilization in the water from them fertalizing the grass.... I have dead gills at the pond at my house as well as crappies from that. Also a lot of run off rain and sewer water that pour in can create it. Just an opinion, not a fact.

Does the lake you fish have any hills that run towards the lake or pond? that can create a problem. Hope everything goes well though.

Dave

#10 ·
WrenchingnFishing said:
The dead gills can be from fertilization in the water from them fertalizing the grass.... I have dead gills at the pond at my house as well as crappies from that. Also a lot of run off rain and sewer water that pour in can create it. Just an opinion, not a fact.

Does the lake you fish have any hills that run towards the lake or pond? that can create a problem. Hope everything goes well though.

Dave
The entire lake is submerged below a runner's path. I'm sure it has to do with the run-off of pesticides, fertilizer, and the such. The main fish that are dead around the lake's shoreline are crappie and bluegill and a few carp here or there.

#12 ·
A few weeks ago I saw some Arlington Heights Parks guys with gas powered, fertilizer back packs spraying the entire perimeter of the lake up by the running path. At that moment I thought how that might leach into the lake and cause a huge problem. Last year there was a huge crappy kill. When I checked with the DNR they said that it was due to stress caused by the late spawn. I guess if it takes too long for the water to worm up the crappy especially suffer. Perhaps this is true for the bluegill this year. But the bass don't seem to care. They are just there waiting for the conditions to be just right. In the meantime thsy are really testing my patience. :evil:

#13 ·
Had an hour to kill before my son's baseball game in prospect hts so I hit it up yesterday. Still lots of dead gills, had a couple of hits but nothing landed. An old fart was sitting in his lawn chair about 50 yards from me saw him catch a decent sized bass and promptly put it in a bag by his chair, I said something to him about catch and release and he grunted. We both left at the same time and in the parking lot I said something again to him and he responded with the usual don't speak english grunt.

#16 ·
jj said:
Had an hour to kill before my son's baseball game in prospect hts so I hit it up yesterday. Still lots of dead gills, had a couple of hits but nothing landed. An old fart was sitting in his lawn chair about 50 yards from me saw him catch a decent sized bass and promptly put it in a bag by his chair, I said something to him about catch and release and he grunted. We both left at the same time and in the parking lot I said something again to him and he responded with the usual don't speak english grunt.
What a tool... you should have kicked his lawn chair from beneath him (and then ran really fast). Is AH a catch and release only location? Or is there a size limit before I bash the old guy too much...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.