Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Bixpy Jet motors

9K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Aux Pleins 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen the Bixpy Jet motors that just came out?

https://bixpy.com/

Kind of weird looking but looks like a lighter, more compact, more effective and cheaper torqeedo type solution with some good mounting options for different types of yaks.

I myself am interested in the transom mount option for my canoe which just came out (not on their website yet).

Long shot but am curious if anyone has seen one in person or even tried one? Not too many real reviews out yet.

#2 ·
Looks pretty cool, I wonder how it would deal with weeds/line getting sucked in

#5 ·
Been eyeballing this for a month just not real keen on needing the strap with remote on hand when fishing, plus hand control for joystick. At times you will a right hand on joystick and your left hand on your right arm at the same time...at least that's my interpretation of the unit I would consider.

#6 ·
Yeah I don't love the joystick aspect. I wish they would develop a traditional transom mount trolling motor type option. The transom mount option they are coming out with uses the joy stick.

On the other hand, I can see how this would solve the issue many people have with kayak motors which is how to steer with the motor in the back. Extended handles are awkward and get in the way of storage space.

#7 ·
I have a Hobie outback and haven't picked a mount yet, so no ETA. None of the mounts seem totally ideal for me as I want to be able to peddle and hate compromising the efficiency of the rudder. In the end, I'll try the rudder mount. I called a few weeks ago and talked to the delevoper and he was very helpful. He seemed to think that any kind of mount on the side of yak, significancly off the centerline of the hull, wouldnt perform well. At least it wasn't great in their testing.

#9 ·
Handler said:
I have a Hobie outback and haven't picked a mount yet, so no ETA. None of the mounts seem totally ideal for me as I want to be able to peddle and hate compromising the efficiency of the rudder. In the end, I'll try the rudder mount. I called a few weeks ago and talked to the delevoper and he was very helpful. He seemed to think that any kind of mount on the side of yak, significancly off the centerline of the hull, wouldnt perform well. At least it wasn't great in their testing.
You're best with the rudder mount so as not to give up your pedals or to inconveniently be swapping pedals for motor, back and forth while on the water. I don't think you'll lose efficiency of the rudder, except for adding some drag to the boat, but you'll have that same drag no matter where you mount.

Be sure to post a review!

#10 ·
I'd be leery of a rudder mount on the hobie I'm sure the rudder attachment (rudder to hull) wasn't designed for such stresses. I mean it seems the thrust is applied to the rudder mounting and isn't the intended purpose.

The little motor is very cool looking though

#12 ·
Lots of neat vids on Youtube with folks showing off their rudder mounts, Hobies and others, and all are working fine.

What does look dumb is the remotes appear to be all on the same exact frequency so if you are traveling closely with two or more Bixpy yaks, your remote will control their boats too and their remotes, yours. I'd love to get my hands on a remote, amplify the signal, make it directional with a DishTV dish and control any unsuspecting Bixpy-powered yak from shore. I could do that all day long, watching the yakkers freak out, not knowing what's wrong with their expensive new motor. :lol:

#13 ·
Bumping this thread. Handler, any reports?

Looks like they just came out with an old fashion transom mount type adapter with tiller steering.

https://bixpy.com/bixpy-universal-transom-adapter/
Looks like you still might have to control thrust with the remote that goes around your wrist though but this is closer to what I'm looking for. Cost is more than a traditional trolling motor setup but much lighter setup.

#14 ·
It's kind of slow. Seen a video of a guy only toping out at 4.2mph. Dont get me wrong, that's about twice as fast as you can paddle by hand without the fatigue. But, my $199 trolling motor gets my kayak going 4.0mph. I can also attach my trolling motor with its factory clamps in a few seconds, no drilling or weird tail mounts. The one made for the hobie looks cool though were it slides right into the pedal drive slot. Is that better than the Minnkota drive from Old Town? I guess I'll search YouTube for yak drag races in the near future.

I'm really looking foward to the day there is something that will push me up to 10mph, without attaching an outboard engine like the NuCanoe guys do.

#15 ·
Aux Pleins said:
I'm really looking foward to the day there is something that will push me up to 10mph, without attaching an outboard engine like the NuCanoe guys do.
What about an inboard engine? Claim is engine can be installed/removed in under 1 minute with minimal or no tools needed.

Not a big kayaking fan, myself, but I would love to have 1 of these to get up & down a river in. Have seen these in use 2x. Pretty cool, but a little on the loud side, too.

http://www.mokai.com/

#16 ·
Hobies come standard with a cassette that plugs into the drive well in case you don't want to use the drive. I thought it would be pretty easy to drill a hole through it and shorten the shaft on a trolling motor and pop that baby right in there.
The battery size and weight could be an issue.
~JOE~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.