May Fishing in Portland, OR

Fishing tips, fishing questions, fishing information, whatever... post here. Not Chicago specific.

May Fishing in Portland, OR

Postby Phil6 » Mar Fri 09, 2018 11:57 am

Hey everyone,

I might be doing a May hiking trip to Portland, was wondering if anyone has any experience with the area and/or the time of year there. Obviously river trout are the big ticket fish, but I know nothing about their spawn schedules or movements. Do people use spinning gear for them? Only Fly? Techniques? Im pretty clueless besides what I've seen in videos so any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: May Fishing in Portland, OR

Postby RonG » Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Phil6 wrote:Hey everyone,

I might be doing a May hiking trip to Portland

That's a heck of a walk from here. Leave late March/early April to get there in time. :idea: Or at least a week early, if you meant "hitch hiking."

As for the fishing, George W. moved to that area, I think. Hopefully, he's still reading here and can help you with that.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:19 pm

I HATE to use the Googan guys as an example, but Rob Terkla (LunkersTV) and I believe Jon B have done trips there and Washington. That should give you a clue at least.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby matt_ski » Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:37 pm

Read up in some book about it or look for a decent blog of someone who fishes there. Does not happen often to me, but when I am far away from home and want to fish I usually ask around in tackle shops. It's old fashioned, but works, and those people have plenty of information.
or this https://www.oregonfishingforum.com/

For what it's worth, John Day river in Oregon is known for great smallie fishing and beautiful scenery.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:54 pm

matt_ski wrote:For what it's worth, John Day river in Oregon is known for great smallie fishing and beautiful scenery.

Yes!! Big :thumbup:

As for gear fly is the obvious choice but spinning gear works too. Depending on the size of the water you can go medium or UL. The Umpqua around Steamboat (OR not CO) SE of Eugene is outstanding. Have fun!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:01 pm

matt_ski wrote:. Does not happen often to me, but when I am far away from home and want to fish I usually ask around in tackle shops

I was planning on calling a couple local shops out there before the trip, thanks for the smallie advice

Woohoodude11 wrote:I HATE to use the Googan guys as an example, but Rob Terkla (LunkersTV) and I believe Jon B have done trips there and Washington. That should give you a clue at least.

and I hate to admit it, but I've seen them :problem:
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mplant1 » Mar Fri 09, 2018 3:14 pm

I went to Portland OR last year and booked a half day trip with Marvin's Guide Service. He charges $115 per person which is very reasonable - my party only had two people and that was fine with him. In May he will put you on Sturgeon and possibly try for spring salmon in river. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. When we went out we caught about 40 sturgeon with a handful of them over 6' long. It was insane. I went home with super sore arms and it totally worth it.

https://www.fastactionfishing.com/
mplant1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Mar Fri 09, 2018 3:40 pm

mplant1 wrote:I went to Portland OR last year and booked a half day trip with Marvin's Guide Service. He charges $115 per person which is very reasonable - my party only had two people and that was fine with him. In May he will put you on Sturgeon and possibly try for spring salmon in river. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. When we went out we caught about 40 sturgeon with a handful of them over 6' long. It was insane. I went home with super sore arms and it totally worth it.

https://www.fastactionfishing.com/

woah... thank you for this. Very very cool
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Mar Fri 09, 2018 3:42 pm

1) Ocean fishing w/guide for various species
2) Columbia fishing w/guide (probably only worth it you chase sturgeon w/guide)
3) Mountain streams and lakes, most everything is stocked or natural reproduction

I've done number 1 and number 3 out there in different areas of state if you are hiking and don't go the guide route I'd suggest just doing a little research to make sure creeks, rivers, lakes you may hit have trout I carry a medium or ML spinning rod that breaks down and fits in a backpack. I don't think I've ever run into a waterway that doesn't have fish. Some of the roads in valleys whether cascades or coastal mountains follow windy rivers so there are plenty of opportunities to just pull over and check out spots. Especially on the public national forest lands.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Scipio24 » Mar Sat 10, 2018 9:34 am

I was in Astoria, OR a number of years ago (8 or 9??) and took a guided fishing boat on the Columbia river to fish for sturgeon. Was a blast and we were reeling them in left and right. Ended up keeping one around 4.5 feet, I think. I'll see if I can find a picture...
~Scott
Scipio24
Fishing Fanatic

Return to General Fishing Questions and Information