Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Arrivederci Axehead! 5/29-30

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Poiman 
#1 ·
I said arrivederci to Axehead yesterday. I teach a mile from the lake and like to spend my short lunch breaks fishing it. If you read my older report http://www.windycityfishing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=91788 you'd saw that I was only catching what basscaster used to call Axehead Specials". With the spawn wrapping up the pattern continued :roll:.

Over the long weekend the gills moved close to shore and started their spawn. This gave me the idea to try to catch a bluegill to use as live bait for something bigger. The problem was all the gills I caught were too big to use for bait.

I finally caught a small enough one and rigged it up with a large treble 20# braid and a bobber. I never really use bobbers (unless fishing for steelhead) but I really enjoyed doing it. A minute after tossing in the rig, the bobber started darting back and forth frantically, seconds later it dove down: fish on. Wasn't a true "Lunchtime Lunker" but a lot bigger than the others.

Arrivederci Axehead, see you in the fall.

See less See more
#5 ·
Great thinking substituting a live gill for a good size bass. I used to do that for my boys when they were around 10-12yrs old. Never caught anyting real big but they loved watching how a struggling bluegill would totally turn on any bass near by. Good learning experience too. Great Job

Here is a guy who got tired of a giant just looking at his bait and not biting. Rigged up a gill and tied the Largemouth World record. Actually beat it by an ounce but the Vatican of fishing, the IGFA has a rule that a fish must weigh 2ozs over the previous record to qualify as the new record. I have no idea why they have that rule but it sucks

https://pilotonline.com/sports/outdoors ... 1a06b.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.