Gonna take an ocean of calamine lotion #2

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

Gonna take an ocean of calamine lotion #2

Postby Rambler » Jun Wed 13, 2018 10:38 am

Just saw this & thought somebody might find it interesting & might save some intense scratching.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... s-your-sum
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Gonna take an ocean of calamine lotion #2

Postby badger75 » Jun Wed 13, 2018 11:41 am

Rambler - thanks for posting.

I remember a canoe trip on the Wisconsin River. Arrived late on Friday night, set up tent. Woke up Saturday, exited tent, found I was in a field of poison ivy. Fortunately for me the plants were looked like they were dying. As precaution took a serious bath and scrubbed up three times. Fortunately, did not break out.

As I am fishing the Fox River (its less than a 1/2 mile from where I live) a lot. I have to be ever watchful. There is a lot of ivy along the river. Be careful out there. And yes it does not always look like the classic poison ivy plant. If I am not sure, I will bypass that spot. I rarely wear shorts when fishing.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby grems » Jun Wed 13, 2018 1:20 pm

Many years ago I snagged my gear in a tree while fishing Lake of the Woods, so I climbed up to shake the branch and retrieve my lure. As I hugged the trunk on my way down, I noticed a thick vine wrapped around it. Guess what it was...

I took a long soapy shower that night and no rash developed. Until a week later, when my legs (I had been wearing shorts when exposed) exploded in an insanely itchy rash that I scratched bloody raw after only a day. Cold water in the tub helped the itching a lot, and prescribed steroid cream finally cured it.

No doubt many here have dealt with this cursed weed. That first and only time for me was enough to make me hyper-vigilant about avoiding it ever since.
grems
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Jun Wed 13, 2018 1:58 pm

When I was younger I was one of the lucky few who was immune. Now I'm not so sure.

But I've always lived by the rule 'don't wear shorts in the woods'. Another is, 'don't take your future wife skinny dipping in a place where Boy Scouts might come by'...oops. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby threeats407 » Jun Wed 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Decades of tromping around the woods and finally got dosed along the DP river taking pics of these guys across the river from that launch near Mil and River. I always thought it would just be some red itchy rash, never knowing it ends up blistering like burns! Now I seem to see that crap everywhere I look! :?
ImageEbony Jewelwing 6-3 by Glenn Hanson, on Flickr
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Grain » Jun Wed 13, 2018 5:16 pm

The nasty part about the poison ivy is that it is a sensitizer, meaning that every next time you get it it's going to be worse.
Grain
Game Fish

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jun Wed 13, 2018 9:45 pm

threeats407 wrote:Decades of tromping around the woods and finally got dosed along the DP river taking pics of these guys across the river from that launch near Mil and River. I always thought it would just be some red itchy rash, never knowing it ends up blistering like burns! Now I seem to see that crap everywhere I look! :?
ImageEbony Jewelwing 6-3 by Glenn Hanson, on Flickr

WOW!! Thats an amazing photo. Almost worth the poison ivy. I couldn't risk it, even if it were for a Dodo bird, like Grain said...when I get it, it worse every time. My hands were the size of a baseball gloved hand last time. I've become almost prescient with spotting and avoiding it
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Jun Thu 14, 2018 9:07 am

Was out last night. Got 2 dink SM. Also saw some good examples of poison ivy. The vine on the first pic is 2" in diameter. The trash in the last pic did not get picked up for proper disposal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Lip_Yanker » Jun Thu 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Learned a looong time ago, leaves of three, just let it be.

Knew a guy/girl in HS that had the misfortune of having an amorous romp in an ivy patch one night. Both were out of school for a couple weeks as the rash found it's way to some very sensitive delicate spots. :shock:

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Thu 14, 2018 5:29 pm

^^^YEOW!!!
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More