Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Rambler 3 - Salt Creek 1

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  GEO 
#1 ·
Day before yesterday I hit one of my spots for an hour or so. REALLY FREAKING HOT! Started with a Beetle spin & caught a mini/micro dink chub. Then a family came along with an inflatable raft and ruined the area for fishing.

So I moved along & fished another spot. Tied on one of my favorites - a gizzit with a safety pin spinner. Caught 2 standard size Salt Creek chubs & then tried casting just below a stump. Of course, the gizzit got hung up on the stump & I lost it. 4 lb line leaves little margin for error.

Then I had a minor revisit of the dreaded low blood sugar monster. Recognized it immediately, took a glucose tablet, gathered up my gear & headed for the car. That's probably the last time I go fishing when it's really hot. Told my doc about my last experience a couple weeks ago & he suggested I give up hot weather activities. Although I've made a practice of ignoring his advice this time I think he's right. Well shit.

#2 ·
That sucks Rambler. Not sure if you tried any cooling products to help with the heat. I was out Monday as well. Sure glad I brought ample ice water.

We have worked some adverse high heat stress jobs and always looked at options available from ice vests to cool tents for relief. Not sure if you have any experience with cooling bandanas that are worn around the neck but these are not bad and our popular with our team. They work like a chiller for your blood as it passes by. We have a fair share of folks fighting the glucose demon and even some young ones.

https://www.amazon.com/12-PACK-Miracool ... B000PNQHGS

#3 ·
4lb line, lmfao. I bet you leave miles of that stuff in the water. A fish fart could break that line. Time to be more responsible and practical and step up to 8 or 10 in our urban streams. I target blue gills and crappie with braided line. Who cares how much of a "battle" you get on a noodle rod with light line. You want a fight, target fish bigger than your thumb. Jeez almost waiting for bass to break the line and swallow the hook, let alone a small pike.

Sorry for the opinionated rant rambler, just my thoughts, not gospel.

#4 ·
Aux Pleins said:
4lb line, lmfao. I bet you leave miles of that stuff in the water. A fish fart could break that line. Time to be more responsible and practical and step up to 8 or 10 in our urban streams. I target blue gills and crappie with braided line. Who cares how much of a "battle" you get on a noodle rod with light line. You want a fight, target fish bigger than your thumb. Jeez almost waiting for bass to break the line and swallow the hook, let alone a small pike.

Ahhhh...the old "I throw lures bigger than that fish" mentality. :moresarcasm:

#5 ·
Aux Pleins said:

Nothing I like better than a rant. And as the late, great Daniel Patrick Moynihan noted, "You are entitled to your own opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts". (Don't tell the Trumpster or his minions about this)

I can guarantee I haven't left "miles" of line (4lb or any other) in the water. I've lost more line to clipped tag ends than I've ever left in the water. Finding abandoned line is one of my pet peeves. And if you prefer to target 'gills & other small stuff with coaxial cable that's your call & OK with me.

#7 ·
Rambler said:
And if you prefer to target 'gills & other small stuff with coaxial cable that's your call & OK with me.
Haha.

Also...most rods are designed for the tackle your throwing...not the fish you're fighting. An ultra-light noodle rod is not meant for 4 inch bluegill to "show off their stuff"...it's designed to throw 1/32oz lures more than 8 feet without throwing your arm out. Sure, maybe that light rod bends more when a fish is hooked but you can just point the rod more towards the fish if you need to put some muscle into it.

As far as 4lb test goes...there have been actual studies concerning how much force fish can generate and it rarely goes over 50% of the fish's weight. If you've ever "flipped" a fish in the boat or on land you'll notice that it's significantly "heavier" dangling in the air than at any point during the fight. You could pull a floating cadaver to shore with 4lb test.

#8 ·
Dr. Utssab said:
Rambler said:
most rods are designed for the tackle your throwing...not the fish you're fighting. An ultra-light noodle rod is not meant for 4 inch bluegill to "show off their stuff"...it's designed to throw 1/32oz lures more than 8 feet without throwing your arm out. Sure, maybe that light rod bends more when a fish is hooked but you can just point the rod more towards the fish if you need to put some muscle into it.
^^^winner-winner, salt creek chub dinner!. :thumbup:
They always says docktors is smart.

#9 ·
I fish literally all year, but drastically slow down in June and July strictly due to the heat. Cold doesn't phase but I do not do middle of the day crazy heat. Smart taking it easy. Salt creek was my back yard for 4-5 years. I'd make friends with the Carp slowing down and really zoning in, that will open more possibilities, I promise! :) And a nice still pool and a panfish popper can yield so many fishgasms!

Stay safe, keep slayin brother

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.