Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Turtlehead, Arrowhead, Tempier, Horsetail

15K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  ccorso 
#1 ·
Been all over Turtlehead, Arrowhead, Tempier and Horsetail of late. Fishing much harder this year. Water temps seem OK, water color and levels OK. Wind difficult. Few bass at Turtlehead, bluegill and odd Crappie. Arrowhead really hard, odd bass and bluegill. Horsetail under pressure, plenty of bluegill, odd bass, two large carp 10lbs +. Tempier been the most consistent. Bluegill, white bass, plenty of cats, bullheads and channel, plenty of carp. Cats are coming out better this year; chopped worms and lobworm been awesome. Corn has been catching bluegill, big at that, and some carp. Caught largemouth and some white bass in the deeper part of the lake off the peninsular. 8-12 feet of water, stony bottom, little weed. Anybody else catching at this lakes? Have not seen many anglers this past three months.

#27 ·
Thread got me motivated to hit horsetail and papoose. First hit horsetail. Shoreline was really weed choked. Not a bite. Then hit papoose. Walked around back to the wall by suggestion and got one bass throwing plastic on top of the green weed cover in a corner. Small guy and not even pic worthy.

#28 ·
Fished Turtlehead plenty the past few weeks. Lake all to myself! Catching bluegill, Crappie and Bass, consistently on worms, spikes and even corn. Water temps starting to drop but even yesterday managed 12 bluegills, 2 crappie and a large-mouth in 3 hour session. As mentioned previous water looking very good, great color, no flooded banks, water level best for a few years. Bluegill in particular of a very good size. Get the sense the Lake is starting to come back, long may it continue. Back out to Tampier tomorrow. Tight lines all.

#29 ·
I gotta pay props to anyone that finds success on the Cook County FPs. My dad used to take me to Tampier and I don't think I ever got anything over 5". Also tried Sag Quarry without much luck as I lived right by it in my high school years. But I would reckon now is a good time to hit them as the crowds have disbursed.

#30 ·
They are very hard fisheries believe me, having fished them 15 years+. That said, there are some very large and wild fish in these lakes. Never been caught most of them, and in wonderful condition. I caught a 5lbs+ largemouth out of Horsetail in April. Beautiful female, full of spawn, so I handled her gently and immediately returned. I have seen bigger in Horsetail. Saq Quarry also has some great specimens. Tampier a harder nut to crack IMO, so vast. One good things as you say is the lack of pressure, past September all these lakes are very quiet, which means enjoyment in nature. Tight lines.

#31 ·
4 hours at Tempier today, opposite the dam. Nice 7-9 mph SW breeze. Water temps 54. Fished pole and corn. Cupped some groundbait, chopped worm and corn at the start. Could not get a bite for two hours, then with five red maggots on the hook I landed a 2lb channel cat. Then I had six large carp in 30 minutes, biggest 5lb. Then nothing more. Could not get a bite on corn or worm. Very strange. Fish only taking maggot. Still a reasonable day. Tight lines all.

#33 ·
Spent three hours at Arrowhead today. All on my own, saw nobody. Water temps 52. ENE wind, about 10 mph. Fished off the slabs into the deep water, 15-16 feet hard on the bottom. Nothing for an hour then started getting bites on worm, corn and red spikes, changing baits regularly. Around 4pm landed a nice 8 inch crappie, then 2x 6 inch bluegill, then a 1.5lbs channel catfish. Got bites into darkness before having to pack up. A very enjoyable session when you know the the fish are there, which to be honest I had not expected for Arrowhead. Right at the finish a very big largemouth jumped right out of the water in front of me, looked around 4-5lbs. Gonna try Sag Quarry East Sunday. Tight lines all.

#34 ·
Fished Sag Quarry East from 12 noon until 3.30pm. Pouring rain the whole time. Water temp 50. Southerly wind. Water level good, water color very good, clear but not gin clear. Had 22 bluegill, 1 bullhead around 1lb and a 1lb trout, all caught on red spikes. Total weight 5lbs 4 oz. a very encouraging session, the restocking of Saq Quarry is starting to reap benefits. There were three other anglers as crazy as me in the rain, one had caught a 2lb largemouth. Btw if anyone can advise as to the easiest way to load photos that would be much appreciated. Tight lines all.

#35 ·
Have been working my way around Turtlehead the last couple of weekends and haven't caught much but for a few crappies and some bluegills. Have been fly fishing from shore and the bass haven't been going after a wooly bugger or grasshopper.

Water levels have receded the last couple of weeks also due to limited rain. Water is fairly clear though and there isn't much algae growth either which is pleasant to fish in.

#36 ·
Hit up turtle head lake 12 to 3pm between the rain today. First time fishing here so kept it basic. Wacky senko, rage craw and paddle tail swimbait. Main lake got me one large mouth and the pond got me a handful of bluegill. Even got a bite on the tiny pond behind the pond but no hook set. Also some clown got mad at their cheap pre-rigged Shakespeare spinning setup and decided to toss it in the water. Was floating about 30 feet out. One cast and my gamakatsu snagged it out. Brand new cause wrapping still on shore and barcode still on handle. Garbage can like 25 feet away but people are jerks. Lake arrowhead gave me a skunk and muddy shoes. Also hit up a certain nature and botanical lake a little north of there and caught a beauty 2 lb large mouth then a employee told me no fishing allowed. Pretty sure two geezers ratted me out. But yea I agree from previous replies these are tough lakes.

Attachments

#38 ·
Well done for giving these lakes a go. I have fished them all summer and now into the Fall. Man they are very hard this year. Not been skunked yet but every outing is a struggle to put any fish together. Best catch has been 12 white bass in one session yesterday out of Tempier. Small but in perfect condition; caught on worm. Arrowhead dead as a dodo, maybe it is the flooding project they are building has unsettled the fish. Horsetail not a patch on last year, is this fished out? Turtlehead seems to be OK, gonna give it a go these week after the rains. Tight lines all.

#40 ·
Fished Sag Quarry today, 36 bluegill and 3 crappie. All caught on worm in the deep channel on the East fishing on the bottom. Wind off my back helped my presentation. Fished very light 3lb line with 18 hook. Fish never left me. Water color perfect, temps 58c. Gonna try Turtlehead Sunday. Tight lines all.

#41 ·
Fished Turtlehead today. Water temps 59. Wind off my back. Caught 60+ bluegill on worm and red maggot. Terrific conditions and water clear. Had to fish on the bottom at 12 feet to catch. No bass anywhere which is interesting. Tight lines all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.