Chicago Fishing Forum banner

ice

17K views 83 replies 20 participants last post by  Phil6 
#1 ·
just took a peak at the extended forecast for the area. we're f****d.

#52 ·
Got four 12" and under bass over lunch today. Also had one break off. I couldn't tell if it was a largemouth, but it honestly didn't pull like one. Maybe I gut hooked a carp on the bottom. Either way I lost a really nice blue ice Swedish Pimple on it. I'm now upgrading my 3# Flouro leader to 6# just in case Mr. Gordo comes back. Maybe I'll even get my lure back. I'm heading back out after work with my Marcum Recon 5 to see what's down there.

#54 ·
Spent ~3 hours on my honeyhole last night, drilled several holes, its a tiny pond.... VERY slow fishing. Bite was tiny. 5 nibbles but no fish. First time I skunked there on ice, not a good feeling but my toes felt worse. Think it was because of the weird inbetween weather coldsnap/snow/rain. It happens! :lol:

#55 ·
billebob5 said:
Got four 12" and under bass over lunch today. Also had one break off. I couldn't tell if it was a largemouth, but it honestly didn't pull like one. Maybe I gut hooked a carp on the bottom. Either way I lost a really nice blue ice Swedish Pimple on it. I'm now upgrading my 3# Flouro leader to 6# just in case Mr. Gordo comes back. Maybe I'll even get my lure back. I'm heading back out after work with my Marcum Recon 5 to see what's down there.
3# leader ? Finesse Master :shock:

#56 ·
I use 3lb main on my usual jigging rod, the stuff gets curly if you look at it wrong... bought some 8lb ice braid I plan on using as main line but havent gotten around to switching it out yet

#57 ·
At one time I used only 4lb line, but recently switched to 6lb on most my rods. And I'm Still hammering the potato chip green sunfish and 5inch perch from our local puddles. The anguish of losing an actual nice fish is enough for me to switch my approach. My hats off to you and Billiebob for getting by with that stuff. I feel like the calluses on my hands would slice that 3lb.

#60 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
The ice goddess is looking kindly upon the ice fishermen amongst us. You'll be loving your tents and heaters in these temps

Edit- Does anyone know of good local walleye lakes that can be fished at night? All the park district stuff is closed after ~5. Have yet to catch an eye or perch through the ice

#61 ·
Holy crap it's cold! Our overhead garage door froze up this AM - had to go out to get it open for my wife. Sprayed white lithium grease on the rails & it seems to have worked. I was thinking of taking a walk at Busse on the way to the Schaumburg show today. Now I'm not so sure.

You hardwater guys must be in 7th heaven.

#62 ·
Aux Pleins said:
At one time I used only 4lb line, but recently switched to 6lb on most my rods. And I'm Still hammering the potato chip green sunfish and 5inch perch from our local puddles. The anguish of losing an actual nice fish is enough for me to switch my approach. My hats off to you and Billiebob for getting by with that stuff. I feel like the calluses on my hands would slice that 3lb.
I use 2lb on all.panfish rods and 3lb on my bass walleye rigs. Rarely have I lost a fish to breaking. You guys setting the hook like you are musky fishing or? Oh btw, fire line chrystal is all I use.

#66 ·
McChou said:
Do you guys using the fireline have any issues with line freezing on the spool/guides when fishing outside of a (heated) shanty?
My reels are all spooled with Fireline Crystal and a Flouro leader. The Fireline DOES ice up but it's easily removed with a quick rip of the line between your fingers. Same for the guides. Not really a big deal for me as I also hardly ever wear gloves.

#67 ·
Good to know - thanks billiebob. I have had the entire spool lock up on me w/braid ... when I go to pull out line by hand, I have snapped leaders, braid, had solid braid burns on the joints of my fingers. Perhaps will give it another shot, but not this weekend. I prefer braid for open water by far though.

#69 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got out this morning on some frozen river. For the most part there was still 2-3inches of water/slush under the snow. And under that was at least 5 inches of ice. Good ole Urbanhog was already out there popping holes. We each pounded on the potato chip blue gills and a few small perch. No predator fish to show for though :cry:

Just like last winter I had a dog (bowfin) come up for a big breath of fresh air while I was sitting in the shanty, or masturbation shack as my wife calls it. Could have easily grabbed the fish because it was halfway out of the water for good 10 seconds. Enough time for me to ridicule him and snap a couple pictures.

IMG_20190126_5109.jpg

IMG_20190126_24369.jpg

Attachments

#72 ·
urbanHog312 said:
always a good time at the jerk hut. just two flags both spooled, missed and minnow mangled. thats what i get for putting a first timer from hawaii on flag watch duty. :roll:
:clap: Must have been real busy in that hut to miss those flags :lol:

Spent Friday night on LZ 8pm-1am, had the big thermal hub out, didnt fish very seriously as we were testing some stuff for next weekend. Inside of the shelter was totally iced over like a freezer, my buddy even had frost forming on the top of his hat inside the shelter, never seen that before. Fishing was slow.

Also, we drilled a hole a few feet from shore, 10 inches of good ice, 50 ft further- 9 inches, 10ft from there I stepped through 6 inches of slush onto 2 inches of good ice- that will get your heart going.

Went back out yesterday and fished between 3-8pm, hole hopped at belleau trying to find some trout but my buddy ended up getting on some perch instead. Everyone I talked to was having a slow day/skunk. The bite picked up MAJOR when the sun started to set, and wouldnt you know there was a police officer in the lot at 445. They already got me once. We split up and I hole hopped my honeyhole, gill and crappie, all suspended.

Everyone kept saying it was to cold (buddy almost threw a tantrum because I didnt want to bring a shelter) on sunday but with no wind and plenty of sun, it was perfect. Anyone else gonna try and go out on Wed? No? Just me? :twisted:

#73 ·
Was out on Lemont Quarries Sunday morning with a couple buddies. We had over 5 inches of ice everywhere we went on a small quarry there. Most was 5. Some spots were 6 or so. Sunday was cold Phil. :lol: It didn't get comfortable to be outside the shanty until about 10 or 11am. We fished 7am-noon.

#74 ·
Lake County shut down any ice fishing today on their forest preserve lakes :evil:

Gates were locked at Sterling and I.G. all day. Yet, every little forest preserve grove was open, including lake Carina (no ice fishing allowed ). Even the dog parks were open. What kind pyschopath takes their pets to the dog park when its -25below.

I'll have to get a refund voucher on my property tax bill for these closings, I'm sure the County will oblige.

#75 ·
Aux Pleins said:
Gates were locked at Sterling and I.G. all day. Yet, every little forest preserve grove was open, including lake Carina (no ice fishing allowed ). Even the dog parks were open. What kind pyschopath takes their pets to the dog park when its -25below.
LOL. Lets stop the guys who know how to prepare for and handle this kind of weather from going out but let Samantha walk her dog with leggings on. Love our state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.