Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Bone Gold; Mud Bowl

6K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  urbanHog312 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
mud mud mud. and more mud. we were covered nearly head to toe for two days while we stomped the fields looking for that bone gold otherwise known as shed antlers.

this would be the pup's first time shed hunting. i had trained him in a field near home with some older antlers and he did well, but i was curious to see how he would fare with the real deal. so we made our way across the cut bean fields. blue worked up ahead with his nose to the ground, picking up on the scent of every deer in the county, while i kept my eyes peeled on fence rows and other likely shed areas. about halfway through i noticed his shock collar had died and he had strayed a considerable distance away from me. while he naturally stays close, not much will stop him if a critter is within range. i hurried through some thick brush where i could see his tail wagging up ahead and found him jumping up toward the middle of a honeysuckle bush. a most desirable stick, i thought. until i came around the creek bed and saw him trying to whack down a beautiful shed antler that had been lodged in the brush.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

extra deer jerky went in this boy's belly for such a job well done.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Booyah.. Any plans for the shed?
just going to admire this one on the mantle since its blue's first shed. its a pretty big one too. total score of the deer would prob go into the 130's. i give the smaller ones to him for chewing. i always wanted to find a spike antler and screw a blade or bottle opener into it.

#7 ·
Seems the stags are a bit tardy in shedding their racks this year. I spotted 3 along the Salt last week. All still had their racks. The smallest was 8 points.

#8 ·
Depending where you are harvesting, collecting sheds is illegal in IL. I think it's really stupid, but just a heads up to keep your posts open-ended location wise ;)

#9 ·
Phil6 said:
Collecting sheds is illegal in IL.)
No it's not, but if you're referring to collecting at a forest preserve, well that's obviously illegal. You can't remove anything from a forest preserve including fallen timber, kindling, acorns, or plant life. Any private property such as cemeteries, park district fields, golf courses, or even farms are fair game for the landowners or anyone with permission. Public roadways and easements are also a green light.

#10 ·
Aux Pleins said:
Phil6 said:
Collecting sheds is illegal in IL.)
No it's not, but if you're referring to collecting at a forest preserve, well that's obviously illegal. You can't remove anything from a forest preserve including fallen timber, kindling, acorns, or plant life. Any private property such as cemeteries, park district fields, golf courses, or even farms are fair game for the landowners or anyone with permission. Public roadways and easements are also a green light.
Any IDNR-owned, public land is fair game.

State parks you can hunt mushrooms, but not sheds.

#11 ·
Aux Pleins said:
No it's not, but if you're referring to collecting at a forest preserve, well that's obviously illegal.
So depending where you are harvesting... i.e. forest preserves... it can be illegal... what did I say thats incorrect? lol

#12 ·
Depending where you are harvesting, collecting sheds is illegal in IL. I think it's really stupid, but just a heads up to keep your posts open-ended location wise
i'm going to make myself extremely clear on this so there is no confusion on your end. never, EVER question the legality of something fishing or hunting related that i do and ultimately post on this forum. the time and energy that i have spent practicing and preaching ethical behavior in the outdoors is paramount compared to your trivial suggestion, which was in fact used to cover up a false accusation. publicly claiming that i broke the law is a severely inaccurate judgement of my character and reputation as an outdoorsman which will not be tolerated. so the next time you think about hijacking one of my threads, don't.

#13 ·
Dude, what are you talking about? Im try to help prevent people in this thread from incriminating themselves... I didnt say anything about you or your practices. Hijacking your thread? Im posting something relevant to the discussion. Publicly claiming you broke the law? lol.. maybe spend a little less time reading regs and re-read my post... you're bugging out for no reason

I made the post because someone posted an illegal FP harvest in a FB group that I'm in and it blew up in their face. I dont want to see the same thing happening on here. Sorry you got your feelings hurt, Urb. I didnt mean to offend you. Nice pup.

#15 ·
Phil6 said:
Aux Pleins said:
No it's not, but if you're referring to collecting at a forest preserve, well that's obviously illegal.
So depending where you are harvesting... i.e. forest preserves... it can be illegal... what did I say thats incorrect? lol
You said collecting sheds is illegal. Exacerbated by the 'I think it's really stupid' comment. Kind of a vague statement, you can also say fishing is illegal :D. I know what you really meant, I just wanted to clarify it. No harm no foul my man. I definitely dont know all the shed rules or laws, just the obvious ones. I also plead the 5th on where my sheds came from. :wink:

#16 ·
SmalliesNEyes said:
Had a hilarious run in with some mushroom poachers last year in Cook County Forest Preserves off Euclid. My old work uniform kind of resembled a police uniform with navy blue colors and American flag patch, so I bet the guy was shitting bricks. I was walking off trail, only about 20yrds from the park drive when I seen a guy with a gunny sack, he looked at me twice, then he heaved the sack behind him, it wasn't smooth at all. Then he proceeded to walk past me to his car in the lot, which had what looked like his wife in the drivers seat. I walked past the sack, looked like 10lbs of morels, but I'm no shroomer, so cant say for certain. They then pulled up their vehicle as close to the location of the drop as the park drive would let them, he jumped out and ran to reclaim his sack and ran back to the car. If I had to guess, hes been busted before, because he was extra cautious. :D

#17 ·
badger75 said:
Beautiful dog. Very proud of himself (as are you) - rightfully so.
This, couldn't have said it better.

Aux Pleins said:
SmalliesNEyes said:
Had a hilarious run in with some mushroom poachers last year in Cook County Forest Preserves off Euclid. My old work uniform kind of resembled a police uniform with navy blue colors and American flag patch, so I bet the guy was shitting bricks. I was walking off trail, only about 20yrds from the park drive when I seen a guy with a gunny sack, he looked at me twice, then he heaved the sack behind him, it wasn't smooth at all. Then he proceeded to walk past me to his car in the lot, which had what looked like his wife in the drivers seat. I walked past the sack, looked like 10lbs of morels, but I'm no shroomer, so cant say for certain. They then pulled up their vehicle as close to the location of the drop as the park drive would let them, he jumped out and ran to reclaim his sack and ran back to the car. If I had to guess, hes been busted before, because he was extra cautious. :D
I ran into some guys hunting for morels in an unpopulated Dupage forest preserve a year or two ago. I asked them what they were looking for and they said "their car keys" :lol:. After talking with them for a minute they admitted to hunting morels and showed off their bounty.

#20 ·
Tom were those legally harvested sheds?
THATS IT! :sarcasm: :lol:

but seriously. phil - i'm sorry if you felt that i lashed out but hunting offenses involving whitetail are usually felonies. whitetail have been my passion for a long time and i just don't mess around when it comes to this stuff. so having such wording tied to one of my threads with my face on it (and my innocent fur baby) is a no for me dawg. i can assure you that i have no reason to worry about where i collect sheds (refer to my "tagged out" thread) and i surely wouldn't be that big of a moron to post something online that could get me in trouble. i do appreciate you looking out if that was your sincere motive but you don't have to worry about me! 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.