Chicago Fishing Forum banner

How's your GAS lately?

514K views 1K replies 83 participants last post by  joetrain 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm GASin' bad...not even Tums can help. As I mentioned in a previous post, my gear acquisition syndrome has been in full beast mode since late fall and I've acquired everything from a new tackle bag (barn) to a fish finder for the yak and everything in between. Here are some of my spoils...I went feather treble crazy on my hard baits and it's been good to me, especially on the suspending jerkbaits, gives it this realistic action. Also picked up a heavier combo (Lexa 300HS w 7' Mojo Bass HF) to throw larger baits up to 1.5 OZ. It adds to my Mojo/Lexa lineup handsomely =D

... now if it was only spring ...

0115160950b.jpg

0122160926a.jpg

0122160925.jpg

0119161807a.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#952 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
I have not tried those. Standard Gamy wide gap off sets (because I have tons of them) screws locks and I have to use 7/0 owner beast screw locks on the Trophy lures soft jerks. They're big beasts
I love the owner screw-lock hooks for the ease of rigging baits perfectly straight & excellent quality hooks, but hate that often a bait is 1&done on the hookset due to the screw-lock ripping up the nose of the bait too much. I still use them, but always think to myself there has to be a better way. The gammy skip-gaps require a bit more focus & patience to get perfectly straight, but I do think they allow a few more hooksets out of a single plastic bait.......maybe :roll:

#953 ·
Had a bit of GAS this past week of a different sort.
In the past, winter has been a time for lure-crafting for me, as I have little to no use for ice-fishing. Unfortunately, almost all of my tackle-making supplies still reside up north. Also, my main supplier of materials( https://m.facebook.com/reinkebro/ )is in Milwaukee, & its been about 1.5yrs since ive last had the opportunity to stop in & reload on materials. Been going thru leadheads/hair jigs with a little frequency, & am pretty much down to a few handfulls of plain jigheads, so finally called my main man Bob to mail order my fix!

When I asked for a jar of pro-tec alewife powder, he told me he'd have to check & see if he had it because he only had 1 or 2 people from FL who actually buy that color, so he doesnt keep a lot in stock :D . We had a good laugh when I gave him my shipping address.

A few bucktails

Some hackle strings & flashabou

& some powder paints & glitter!

I cant say its particularly "fun" tying jigs, but as it pertains to hair jigs, specifically for peacocks, I find the old saying, "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself", applicable.

Rarely do I feel compelled to throw a plug in for a private business, but feel its appropriate for any of you who do any lure-crafting, tackle-making, fly-tying, Reinke Bros. in Milwaukee is hands-down THE best selection, price, & source of actual knowledge for all associated supplies in a brick/mortar store. I highly recommend them!

#956 ·
Had some bad GAS this morning. Started planning out my arsenal for Braidwood in a couple weeks and somehow I have several more rods than baitcasters. That's unacceptable. Being a Daiwa man and considering the crazy reviews the reel received, I ordered a Tatula SV TWS. The reel is going for $180 on the Tackle Trap and a buddy gave me a 10% savings code. Plus, I'll sell the HUK shirt Daiwa is giving away for a promotion for $25 or so. Figure that reel will cost me approximately $140.

Also picked up some Zoom boot tail swimbaits and Jackall Rythmn Shad off the discount rack. Got some owner Owner underspin, swimbait hooks as well to try.

#957 ·
Aaaaaand here we go.

Every year, I make my big purchases in the offseason and free up my budget. This keeps my goals fresh in my mind so I don't end up waiting until the season starts and I forget what I wanted to do because of what is currently working. Believe it or not, it saves me a ton of money. Over the course of the season, I generally am able to keep purchases cheap because all I need is terminal tackle and soft plastics. But enough of that. Lets start with the big ticket stuff.

I got the Shimano Curado DC that I made a main objective of the offseason. Remarkably more simple than the Scorpion I already own and reviews can't seem to praise it enough.

Deeper Pro+ castable sonar. I really wanted this after the iBobber left a bad taste in my mouth. This one has GPS built in and I can map out entire lakes, some of which don't have a map available anywhere. Up top is a $26 combo I bought from Walmart exclusively for the Deeper. I don't need anything fancy, portability of a 2 piece is a must, and if I break it who gives a shit?

Carbonlite 2.0 spinning reel. Explained that already.

Barely Pictured, a Dobyns Savvy froggin rod. My favorite pond doubles as my favorite place to frog. During that section of the year, I almost only fish the frog. This was needed.

I got a Lucky Tackle Box 3 month subscription. I've used a lot of stuff I never would have when I had the Mystery Tackle Box subscription. Figured I'd try a change of pace with LTB. First box was meh...3 crankbaits among other stuff.

A boat bag I got for $10 on sale at BPS a couple months ago. I need more organization in my life. You should see what my living room looks like to the left of this pic. :oops:

A small BPS branded camelbak. $15 the same day I got the boat bag. My Camelbak was too big and I feel it contributed to my back issues last year.

The misses got me a cooling towel. Crucial.

Not gonna bore y'all with the lure explainations. Except that snake. I've watched a lot of Youtube videos on it and it has a killer action. Why the hell not, right? Oh and as for the 2 bags of Googan baits that I talked crap about...they were gifted to me by my Googan fan dad :lol:.

Is it Spring yet?

Attachments

#958 ·
Bassin' Ted said:
Had some bad GAS this morning. Started planning out my arsenal for Braidwood in a couple weeks and somehow I have several more rods than baitcasters. That's unacceptable. Being a Daiwa man and considering the crazy reviews the reel received, I ordered a Tatula SV TWS. The reel is going for $180 on the Tackle Trap and a buddy gave me a 10% savings code. Plus, I'll sell the HUK shirt Daiwa is giving away for a promotion for $25 or so. Figure that reel will cost me approximately $140.

Also picked up some Zoom boot tail swimbaits and Jackall Rythmn Shad off the discount rack. Got some owner Owner underspin, swimbait hooks as well to try.
What ratio is that Tatula at? How does it compare to the HD models? I love my Tatulas! Is that shirt still up for grabs? If so what size?

#959 ·
polishfly said:
Bassin' Ted said:

What ratio is that Tatula at? How does it compare to the HD models? I love my Tatulas! Is that shirt still up for grabs? If so what size?
I went with a 6.3 ratio. I don't know how it compares specifically with the HD models but the reviews are tremendous from every place I read. It was an editor's choice from Tackle Tour and about the only negative things I have read about the reel are from Dave on this site. I don't have the shirt yet since I will order it when the reel arrives. I always get an XL when I am going to sell something later but if you want the shirt at a different size we can arrange something.

#960 · (Edited by Moderator)
One of the most important things you can bring fishing is good company. This past October after 13 years I had to say goodbye to my best fishing buddy:

IMG_18022019_112750_(800_x_1000_pixel).jpg

I still miss him a ton, but there in empty feeling in the house and the time came to welcome another dog. This is Bella, she's one. Looking forward to bringing her to the forest preserves, shore fishing, and seeing how she takes to a boat ride. She will learn the ropes with my girlfriend's daughter who is almost 5 and looking forward to her first time fishing when it warms up:

IMG_18022019_112546_(800_x_1000_pixel).jpg

IMG_18022019_112535_(800_x_1000_pixel).jpg

IMG_18022019_112521_(800_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Attachments

#962 ·
Bassin' Ted said:
polishfly said:
Bassin' Ted said:

I went with a 6.3 ratio. I don't know how it compares specifically with the HD models but the reviews are tremendous from every place I read. It was an editor's choice from Tackle Tour and about the only negative things I have read about the reel are from Dave on this site. I don't have the shirt yet since I will order it when the reel arrives. I always get an XL when I am going to sell something later but if you want the shirt at a different size we can arrange something.
Paul, the issues I've had with mine are known problems that guys on the Tackle Tour forum have discussed and Daiwa knows about one issue. I thought it was one of those "Just my reel" issues but others have encountered the 2 main problems I have had. There is a very small pin that is connected to the spool shaft and 2 of them sheared off two of my SV's (I have 4 SV's) causing it to scream like a DC reel when casting it and probably effected casting performance though I didn't notice much difference. One I had serviced under warranty and it was recently returned from Daiwa service. The whole spool assembly was replaced and, they even replaced the palming sideplate that I had accidentally pulled paint off of while trying to address problem #2. The Mag dial tension spring doesn't provide enough well, tension, causing the mag dial to move under normal use. You'll have it set at say 4 and notice your casts getting shorter, you'll look down and see the dial is now at 16. This is the most commonly discussed issue on Tackle Tour & Bass Resource and I discussed the problem with Daiwa's Customer Relations manager at the fishing show and he said to email him and he would see about sending stronger springs. I sent him an email and he replied that he's looking into it and will get back to me. Only been a week, we'll see. The problem is acerbated by how and where your palm comes into contact with the Mag dial. My temporary fix has always been to put a piece of electrical tape over the dial but I really shouldn't have to do that. It holds my settings and makes the dial less noticeable/uncomfortable. Terrible location for the dial if you aren't going to hide it under a hood. All my SV's are fairly early production first year models, they may have addressed the weak pin's and tension spring. The 2 that haven't had pin issues are tight, quiet and smooth as hell

Now with all that said...I still love the performance and effortless casting. Its ability to cast lures into a stiff wind are unmatched by any reel I've ever used. If I'm going to grab one rod and reel and make a run to a local pond and I know I'm going to need effortless distance, I'll grab an SV over the Bantam MGL, Curado 70 or K. I'm waiting for the next gen Tat 100 SV in the smaller profile to come out. I'll try one out and if its a good upgrade I'll probably swap them all out

If you have tension spring issues, this "may" be the guy to contact. I'll let you know when and if I hear back

Attachments

#963 ·
Brett said:
One of the most important things you can bring fishing is good company. This past October after 13 years I had to say goodbye to my best fishing buddy:

View attachment 3

I still miss him a ton, but there in empty feeling in the house and the time came to welcome another dog. This is Bella, she's one. Looking forward to bringing her to the forest preserves, shore fishing, and seeing how she takes to a boat ride. She will learn the ropes with my girlfriend's daughter who is almost 5 and looking forward to her first time fishing when it warms up:

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy Brett. We lost 3 of our furry family in the span of 10 months, including my oldest sons best bud he had for 18yrs. Its brutal. Hopefully Bella makes things more tolerable and makes a good fishing buddy. Also sorry to hear about the accident and concussion. Get well soon

#965 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
Brett said:

View attachment 3

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy Brett. We lost 3 of our furry family in the span of 10 months, including my oldest sons best bud he had for 18yrs. Its brutal. Hopefully Bella makes things more tolerable and makes a good fishing buddy. Also sorry to hear about the accident and concussion. Get well soon
Thanks Heddon. Pets are like family, sorry to hear of your losses. Wouldn't hurt so much if they weren't so amazing, guess we just have to be grateful for the time we have.

#966 ·
Anyone have a Dobyns 735? If so, what is its best application in your opinion? Decided to upgrade a Sierra to a Champ XP. Plan on using it for frogs, football head jigs, heavy pitching, and swimbaits and scroungers up to around an 1 oz. Figured Dave or someone else might have this rod since it is very popular in the Dobyns line. Any info is appreciated.

#967 ·
Bassin' Ted said:
Anyone have a Dobyns 735? If so, what is its best application in your opinion? Decided to upgrade a Sierra to a Champ XP. Plan on using it for frogs, football head jigs, heavy pitching, and swimbaits and scroungers up to around an 1 oz. Figured Dave or someone else might have this rod since it is very popular in the Dobyns line. Any info is appreciated.
Don't own a single Dobyns rod, so can't help you. :lol:

I will say... I had grabbed a 13 Omen Black spinning rod, 6'7" M/Fast, in the offseason, and paired it up with a President, and I'm in love with that rod after one use. Just feels good in the hand.

#968 ·
Bassin' Ted said:
I've owned mine for over 6 years and still one of my favorites. I use mine for swimbaits in the spring, pitching jigs and TX rigs 1/4 oz & up, and frogs. Tip action is nice for walking frogs. I personally go with a little heavier rod fishing a frog in super heavy mats though for when a fish gets buried but this rod will work. I find this rod gives me the best hook sets/landing percentage for fishing a weedless soft plastic swimbait where the hook has to travel through plastic. Great football jig rod too. Super versatile. However not ideal for lipless crankbaits or chatterbaits, which I've tried in a pinch.

#969 ·
mikeyd said:
Bassin' Ted said:
I've owned mine for over 6 years and still one of my favorites. I use mine for swimbaits in the spring, pitching jigs and TX rigs 1/4 oz & up, and frogs. Tip action is nice for walking frogs. I personally go with a little heavier rod fishing a frog in super heavy mats though for when a fish gets buried but this rod will work. I find this rod gives me the best hook sets/landing percentage for fishing a weedless soft plastic swimbait where the hook has to travel through plastic. Great football jig rod too. Super versatile. However not ideal for lipless crankbaits or chatterbaits, which I've tried in a pinch.
Thanks. Sounds like it is the right rod for me.

#970 ·
Bassin' Ted said:
Paul, I sold my Sierra 735 to Bert & Ernie here on the board. I replaced it with an Xtasy 755 and the only thing off your list I won't be using it for is frogging. I plan on getting either the Tatula Elite AGS Ish Monroe Frog rod or preferably a 7-4 Steez AGS XH Frog rod. Either way, it won't be used much for frogging but for extra large 1-1/2 to 2oz bladed jigs

#971 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
Bassin' Ted said:
Paul, I sold my Sierra 735 to Bert & Ernie here on the board. I replaced it with an Xtasy 755 and the only thing off your list I won't be using it for is frogging. I plan on getting either the Tatula Elite AGS Ish Monroe Frog rod or preferably a 7-4 Steez AGS XH Frog rod. Either way, it won't be used much for frogging but for extra large 1-1/2 to 2oz bladed jigs
Thanks for the info. I don't really frog fish that much anyways even though I want to change that. I would be using the rod more for heavy pitching and dragging big stuff across the bottom in deep water.

#972 ·
My new Cabelas Fish Eagle 54 (7' MH) came yesterday. Taking it to Busse today to meet up with my best friend for some canoe fishing. Strangely - and without prior consultation - he picked up a Cabelas Fish Eagle with a Shimano reel a couple weeks ago.

Also got a Rebel frog and a Bomber popper recently. Can't wait for the warm up so I can try for some top water action.

#973 ·
Rambler said:
My new Cabelas Fish Eagle 54 (7' MH) came yesterday. Taking it to Busse today to meet up with my best friend for some canoe fishing. Strangely - and without prior consultation - he picked up a Cabelas Fish Eagle with a Shimano reel a couple weeks ago.

Also got a Rebel frog and a Bomber popper recently. Can't wait for the warm up so I can try for some top water action.
Is that Rebel frog a small hardbait? I think I saw that at Walmart. They had a bunch of small finesse cranks, mini wake baits and top waters. I was surprised by the variety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.