Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Smoked Chubs

8K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  SpecialEd 
#1 ·
Haven't had smoked chubs in a while. Got a taste for them, so to the store I go. Nobody around the Schaumburg area have any. Then I ask about Ciscoes, which I've been told are a close second, nada. I called Hagens in the city and they said they have not had them for over a year. What the heck is going on. Used to be most every store on a Friday had chubs for sale. Anybody know of a place around here that sells them.

#7 ·
Rambler said:
Why don't you just grab some UL gear & hit Salt Creek? Plenty of free chubs there. Then you can smoke them yourself.
Do they ever get bigger than a finger or two out there? How do you go about fishing for them?

#8 ·
Phil6 said:
Rambler said:
Why don't you just grab some UL gear & hit Salt Creek? Plenty of free chubs there. Then you can smoke them yourself.
Do they ever get bigger than a finger or two out there? How do you go about fishing for them?
Small jig and plastic on an ultralight, or a bobber with a small circle hook and all assorted live bait should work for them. And creek chubs can get big. We caught some out of a small creek feeding the Mazon and they were about 8 inches. My jerkbait that I caught all my big smallies on out of that river perfectly matched their pattern...

#9 ·
Phil6 said:
Seems like you haven't been paying attention. How have you missed all the crap I've taken for catching chubs? :D

Biggest I've caught in Salt Creek was about 12" so they get a bit bigger than "a finger or two". Catch them all the time on Salt Creek with UL - 4lb mono. Small spinners, spoons, beetle spins, etc. The bigger ones actually put up a good fight - sort of like big 'gills.

#12 ·
catchafew said:
catch&release said:
Fresh Farms in Wheeling
x2... Plus they have smoked pike and all sorts of weird smoked, dried, pickled and fresh fish. Don't mind the pushy Russian customers that cross-check you out of the way at the deli counter it's part of their charm.
lmao. Every time that Im at a Polish deli I'll always see a non-slav standing there out of place looking totally lost. I ALWAYS wonder whats going on in their head

#16 ·
ffishman said:
Called Don's Dock in Desplaines. And they go carry them, most of the time. Man, have they gotten expensive, 18 bucks a pound.
yeah...go catch em yourself lmao. That's insane.
Dr. Utssab said:
I can positively say that trout flies, particularly nymphs in size 12-16, are your absolute best bet in catching the living shit out of creek chubs.
lmao

#17 ·
Who was it that called chubs, "Cook County trout"?

Reminds me of a chapter in Fishless Days Angling Nights by Sparse Grey Hackle. He talks about a fancy-pants fly fisherman who shows off his 'monster' catch. Nobody bothers to tell him it's a chub. :D

#19 ·
badger75 said:
Didn't you meet that guy on SC a while back dressed in cammo doing his own video blog?
You mean the guy who had a teddy bear dressed in camo in his backpack? Wow - yeah, that guy was really weird. :shock: But probably not the same guy Sparse Grey Hackle wrote about since his book was published in 1971 & I'm pretty sure most of his stories took place in the late 30s & early 40s.

Or maybe you mean the guy I ran into (also in camo) who claimed he caught trout in SC? That guy wasn't weird, he just didn't know the difference between chubs & trout.

#20 ·
Rambler said:
Who was it that called chubs, "Cook County trout"?
I prefer google-eye bass. They hit anything, 16th ounce jigs, #1 inline spinners. Always caught them targeting rockbass on the Des Plaines between Rosemont and Riverside section particularly. Salt creek definitely carries a ton of them. They do like some current or riffles. When the water gets nice and low the Grand Avenue riffle is the spot.

#21 ·
Funny thing, I was at Tony's today. I asked the guy at the fish counter if they ever carry Chubs. You would have thought I was speaking greek. I then asked about Ciscos, again, a puzzled look. To lighten the mood, I said that it was not a buddy of Poncho, again over his head. God, I feel old.

#23 ·
Have not seen them at the Jewel I go to in years now and they used to have them often. There used to me a restaurant that had them on the salad bar on Wooster Lake I think it was. Whatever that lake Holiday Park used to be on I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.