Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Early to bed, early to...

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Spi11 
#1 ·
Idk... rise? Hit a dupage county forest preserve lake for an hour or two today. Clear water, mostly shallow, weedy. To my surprise I found about a dozen beds with males on them, including one with a pair going through the spawning motions. Messed around throwing to the deeper side weed edges and breaks with no bites. Threw at the single males on beds, didn't seem to be defending but just waiting for the females to move up. Threw at one male for a few minutes that flared his gills and opened his mouth first flip to ward off a giant glide bait lol. Eventually he would attack at it but I was not going to set the hook. My guess is that that fish was defending the eggs on the nest. Pretty interesting to see bass spawning already and in different stages of the spawn. Please excuse my crappy pics as I couldn't even see my phone screen due to the glare. Placing my polarized sunglasses in front of the camera's lens did do a good job with the first two pics. Only took pics of the pair spawning.

See less See more
#6 ·
Crazy that there are bass spawning around Chicago, already. Seems you found yourself some early birds. I can't believe that's a regular occurrence now, in only 50-55 degree water temps. Cool pics, though. Taking them through the polarized glasses is a great idea. I may have to steal that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.