What ruined Lake O?

Lake Opeka at Lake Park - Des Plaines, IL
General fishing information

What ruined Lake O?

Postby Brandon » Jun Sun 09, 2019 8:43 am

Wondering if any Lake O regulars have had any luck lately? Ever since last season through to now, I’ve had very little luck. Very little. Used to fish there 3-4 times a week and catch a bass or two in 45 minutes. Get a number of 4-5# bass each year. Very rarely ever skunked. Now, I’ve caught one dink in several outings and results were similar last year. Any regular I’ve talked to at the lake tells the same story. Very little to no fish at all. WTH happened???
"I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Brandon
Fishing Czar

Re: What ruined Lake O?

Postby Brett » Jun Sun 09, 2019 11:18 am

Haven't been all year. Maybe that is why?
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Sun 09, 2019 11:55 am

I dont know if its cyclical or not. I do remember I never had much luck at Opeka early in the year by boat, but always had a great August and September. That being said, I think I only fished in 3 times in the last year and half. Used to go at least twice a week in years past.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Sun 09, 2019 12:33 pm

It got too damn expensive for me to fish there. I'd go assuming I'd lose a few lures every time.

Lake O is hands down the most pressured lake I've ever fished. With the amount of shore you're not allowed to access, I'm sure the fish all head that way to get away from all the hooks. New or rarely used presentations might work good.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » Jun Sun 09, 2019 12:42 pm

I still think it goes back to the overzealous weed kill the did several years back... remember how it used to be almost unfishable at times due to heavy weeds at the shore? They started removing them 'manually' and leaving the piles on the grass which I think they ceased due to that being a great look either. Then one day... not a weed to be found.

Everyone I talk to said last year they basically caught zero. Hell, I even got skunked one day hanging worms under bobbers in early fall! The crappies have seemed to disappear as well. I remember that early on a few years back I caught a mix of several dozen crappies and bass one day on the kastmaster. Now? Nothing, of any size.

I did have two people mention they stocked recently? One guy was tying up his boat and one guy on the path... but yes my results there (a lone 12"er on a chatter) this year have been dismal as well.

But as I'm not catching much anywhere I still work it into my rotation, even if it's against my better judgement.

I'd go assuming I'd lose a few lures every time.

And yeah, it hasn't lost it's tendancy to just outright devour tackle... it's a 'don't throw what you want back' situation :roll:
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby FishinMatt » Jun Sun 09, 2019 3:05 pm

weed kills usually do it. takes a long time to rebound too.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Return to Lake Opeka