Ah nature

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

Ah nature

Postby Rambler » Jun Sat 01, 2019 12:46 pm

During a woodland stroll the other day I saw something I've never witnessed before. Off in the woods a doe had just given birth. Didn't actually see the fawn drop but I saw it get up on wobbly legs and search for a teat while mom cleaned off all the goop. After just a few minutes the fawn started getting more steady & got almost playful. Just amazing.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Ah nature

Postby joetrain » Jun Sat 01, 2019 1:47 pm

It pays to go outside.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Sat 01, 2019 4:41 pm

:wink: I've seen it before as well in the patch of woods across from Dennys at Lawrence and River Rd. One fawn was tangled up in some fallen trees and moaning upside down. The mother had run off, probably scared of me. I freed the tangle wet fawn and got it on its shakey legs, then noticed a dead fawn already taking on flies. Then noticed what I thought was a 3rd dead fawn, but it was just a giant pile of after birth. On my way out of the area I doubled back and seen the mother had returned to the line live fawn.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby vman01 » Jun Sun 02, 2019 2:18 am

Pretty cool to see the first few minutes of life anytime. This is the time of year fawns are dropping and the crew of 8 below that raped the pine trees through the winter should be showing up with some extra mouths to feed.
8 deer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby urbanHog312 » Jun Mon 03, 2019 8:25 am

fawns today, veal dinner in november. :moresarcasm: just kidding.

kinda.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Jun Tue 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Not to be a pest or to create some online rant.
Veal (I thought is milk feed beef). Venison is deer meat. By fall, I would think it would be venison (Bambi burgers, steak, etc).

Rambler
Must have been quite a sight.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Phil6 » Jun Tue 11, 2019 1:22 pm

joetrain wrote:It pays to go outside.
~JOE~

No sh*t? Where do I submit my W4 :wink:

I wish :D
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jun Tue 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Phil: Like our hero John Muir you need to concentrate some time on making $$$$. Then, when you get to a certain age you can spend lots of time outside & not worry about $$$$. So (I know this is heresy) instead of buying all sorts of fishing gear put some money in your 401k or other investments.

Or not... :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Jun Tue 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Pretty cool stuff.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Tue 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Rambler wrote:instead of buying all sorts of fishing gear put some money in your 401k or other investments.

I feel attacked :lol:
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Thu 13, 2019 7:22 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:I feel attacked :lol:

Gee, sorry about that - I think.

After that last post it occurred to me that if you take the 'or not' approach you'll still get to spend lots of time outdoors. As in being homeless. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Jun Thu 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Veal (I thought is milk feed beef). Venison is deer meat. By fall, I would think it would be venison (Bambi burgers, steak, etc).

you'd be surprised. most button bucks and doe fawns are still sporting their bambi spots well in to october. they're also still hard following their mother around, occasionally attempting a sip of milk. if they survive the winter, most wont leave their mother until they get kicked away just prior to the doe dropping her next fawn the following year. even up until november, large amounts of milk can be found while field dressing a doe that had dropped a couple fawns in the spring. once full blown winter rolls around and the fawns have grown in their winter coats, they look like yearling does. so when you shoot one of them and deer camp makes fun of you for 3 straight days, hopefully at least one guy is nice enough to say something along the lines of "hey, at least you got some fresh veal for the freezer!".
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jun Thu 13, 2019 2:27 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:
hopefully at least one guy is nice enough to say something along the lines of "hey, at least you got some fresh veal for the freezer!".

:lol: :lol: Love this hahah
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby urbanHog312 » Jun Thu 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Love this hahah

ask me how i know! lmfao
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More