Chicago Fishing Forum banner

The Struggle is Real

7K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Mr36inch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
My question is...how the hell do you get stuck in the mud....cant you just paddle backwards enough to get out of the mud? He was up salt creek...the current didnt push him into the mud...wasnt a tide thing...so many questions I dont care to know the answers to!!

#6 ·
Aux Pleins said:
The Struggle is Real
What the struggle for Intelligent life. :lol:

Man, it was hot humid with no winds last weekend, the mosquitoes must have been brutal at dusk!
Hope he had bug spray. :wink:
I still get a laugh everytime i hear a tourist say to the other guy, " i think the launch is this way" as there heading in the wrong direction :sarcasm:
FishinMatt said:
What is worse? Getting lost and stuck or the FD taking 2 hours to locate?
I wouldn't criticize the 2 hour search though, I doubt they had any chance of getting to him by boat since the new lower water level, which would have been the main tactic. Most likely they had to walk the 500' thru the tall grass from the pedestrian Bridge to fish him out when they figured out where the millennial was :moresarcasm:
polishfly said:
My question is...how the hell do you get stuck in the mud....cant you just paddle backwards enough to get out of the mud?
I can totally understand how he got stuck in the mud there and couldn't make it to shore.
In that Nw back water, where they found him, the loss off 6" of water from the dam mod made all the difference of him yaking to the southern shore for the quick walk to the new pedestrian bridge.

Before they moved the "no fishing area" line south I had waded in from there 15+ years ago, 6" of water over 2 FEET of mud on that side. I got stuck SO bad it took at least 15 mins to get back the 25 feet to shore with my wader's boots still on my feet!. Only had two face plants into the water with my arms in the mud. Had to slide my feet back into the boots with almost every step. :lolno:

Was looking at google maps and its amazing how much water is missing from that bay with just 6" of water removed!

#13 ·
Without hearing recordings of the calls he made it's hard to know whether he was indeed lost or just clueless as to his location.

To paraphrase Daniel Boone, "I was never lost but I was mighty confused for three days". I haven't been confused for 3 days but have been for several hours on numerous occasions. But as someone who used to backpack the Grand Canyon frequently I'm always surprised to see a report of a "lost" hiker in the GC. Just a minor understanding of topography would make it almost impossible to get lost there in spite of its mind-numbing size. People who get lost there are probably more accurately suffering from confusion brought on by dehydration.

One more thing. A few years ago I was taking a midday stroll in Thatcher Woods (hardly a wilderness area). There were all sorts of official-looking vehicles in the parking lot and lots of uniformed folks (not CCFPD) wandering around. The guy who was clearly in charge was riding a 4 wheel ATV. He needed the 4 wheels because - I'll try to be kind - he was an immense fat ass. I mean a walking (or riding) heart attack. Easily 380.

I asked him what was going on. He said, "search and rescue" in a highly officious way. Had to keep myself from laughing out loud. If I was ever lost he was the last person I'd want coming to my rescue. I'd be afraid he'd have a grabber & I'd have to figure out how to get his blubbery body out of there.

So when we're exploring previously unknown areas let's take stock of our surroundings. A compass & map (the one on our phones is great unless there's no signal) are a good idea.

#14 ·
Rambler said:
So when we're exploring previously unknown areas let's take stock of our surroundings. A compass & map (the one on our phones is great unless there's no signal) are a good idea.
but but what if the compass runs out of battery?? :wink:

#18 ·
vman01 said:
Sun come up East and set in West Kimo Sabi
Yes Tonto my trusty companion, the sun sets over that thing pilgrims call Iliinois Rte 53. Even when you can't see it you can hear it.

Reminds me of the time I took a couple of buddies - both dedicated couch potatoes - for a hike at Skokie Lagoons. I took them out on the 'island' between Dundee & Tower. They totally freaked. Thought we were lost in the wilds & would never find our way back. I mean, jeez... you can't get out of earshot of Edens. Never took them hiking again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.