Chicago Fishing Forum banner

How's your GAS lately?

514K views 1K replies 83 participants last post by  joetrain 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm GASin' bad...not even Tums can help. As I mentioned in a previous post, my gear acquisition syndrome has been in full beast mode since late fall and I've acquired everything from a new tackle bag (barn) to a fish finder for the yak and everything in between. Here are some of my spoils...I went feather treble crazy on my hard baits and it's been good to me, especially on the suspending jerkbaits, gives it this realistic action. Also picked up a heavier combo (Lexa 300HS w 7' Mojo Bass HF) to throw larger baits up to 1.5 OZ. It adds to my Mojo/Lexa lineup handsomely =D

... now if it was only spring ...

0115160950b.jpg

0122160926a.jpg

0122160925.jpg

0119161807a.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#977 · (Edited by Moderator)
Been a while since I've had any fishing gas but besides the rack I built I picked up some endangered crank baits and my new favorite everything lure the Rex Spoon! Also got a 50' clothes line reel that I plan on fitting w paracord for an anchor line management system. Now to figure out how to attach it to the bottom of my seat!!

Copy of 20190404_184951-1.jpg

Attachments

#978 ·
polishfly said:
Been a while since I've had any fishing gas but besides the rack I built I picked up some endangered crank baits and my new favorite everything lure the Rex Spoon! Also got a 50' clothes line reel that I plan on fitting w paracord for an anchor line management system. Now to figure out how to attach it to the bottom of my seat!!
Man, I didn't know Excaliber still made baits..if that's the same Excaliber. I like the heavier weights on those square bills. I had a Buzz'n Rex spoon once, was not the most weedless hybrid buzz bait but fish hit it. Probably still around somewhere

#979 ·
Picked up some P-Line Tactical in 8 lb and 15 lb from TW. Buy 1 spool get the 2nd free. Also added a Storm spybait to get over $50.

Is it just me or has the price of fluorocarbon come down? This year so far I bought 200 yard spools of 100% Fluorocarbon Berkley for $10, Gamma Touch 100 yard spools for $12 (awesome line. I really like the 7 lb), and now this P-Line. Maybe I have just been hitting the sales right.

#980 ·
Bassin' Ted said:
Is it just me or has the price of fluorocarbon come down?
Don't quote me on this, but I think the profit margins on stuff like that are through the roof which makes putting it on sale a breeze. Last year BPS had Trilene flouro which I believe is normally $20 for $10. No way they're taking that much of a loss to bring people in.

#981 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
polishfly said:
Man, I didn't know Excaliber still made baits..if that's the same Excaliber. I like the heavier weights on those square bills. I had a Buzz'n Rex spoon once, was not the most weedless hybrid buzz bait but fish hit it. Probably still around somewhere
Those Excalibur cranks are from eBay and I paid Livingston prices for em but I have OCP and I have to have them!

#982 ·
Just got a Rebel Pop R - keep hoping this will be the year for top water - and a Bill Norman square bill to replace one I lost on the Kish last week. The crankbait's vintage from eBay but not too vintage.

#984 ·
Just ordered a Sebile square bill and a nifty folding seat for my sorry, wrinkled old ass when I fish the DPR. Why don't the river gods provide convenient logs to sit on?

#985 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got some real GAS! Found this random Texaco crank on ebay and it set off a bit of a spree. Got a new 12AH battery for my yak sonar, some new yak boxes, and a new giant tackle bag to hopefully hold all my shit :( I got problems!!!

20190424_202103_HDR-1.jpg

20190421_193517-1.jpg

20190424_155345-1.jpg

Attachments

#986 ·
Anybody make a big Tackle Warehouse order over the weekend? They got me for around $80. Restocked some ISG Tubes, tube jigs, stupid tube jigs, Owner EWG plastics hooks, ZMan Ned rig plastics, and a Rapala high contrast scale. How say you?

#987 ·
Bassin' Ted said:
Anybody make a big Tackle Warehouse order over the weekend? They got me for around $80. Restocked some ISG Tubes, tube jigs, stupid tube jigs, Owner EWG plastics hooks, ZMan Ned rig plastics, and a Rapala high contrast scale. How say you?
No TW purchases... but I did order about 10 Project Z chatters in 2 different sizes and 2 different colors from Sportsman Outfitters, since they were on sale. I also bought a Quantum Tour KVD PT Crankin' rod on sale for $140, shipped, from an Amazon store a week ago. I then picked up a never used Revo X Gen 4 from Heddon in 5.4:1 with a carbon fiber handle, to put on that crankin' rod. Also picked up some assorted dropshot tackle I was running low on - specifically the VMC spinshot hooks in 3 different sizes, from Bass Pro. Love these dropshot hooks. And a prop frog from LunkerHunt. Oh, and some more soft, floating frogs from Yum, since they were on sale for $2.19 a bag.

The week prior, I picked up a 13 Fishing Fate Black 2 7'1, MH, Fast, on sale for $60, instead of the normal $100. I picked up a Quantum Icon PT 6.3:1 on sale for $85, to pair with that, and made it my new chatter/spinnerbait rod.

All in all... I've dropped about $450 in the past 3 weeks. :lol:

#989 ·
SmalliesNEyes said:
Bassin' Ted said:
No TW purchases... but I did order about 10 Project Z chatters in 2 different sizes and 2 different colors from Sportsman Outfitters, since they were on sale. I also bought a Quantum Tour KVD PT Crankin' rod on sale for $140, shipped, from an Amazon store a week ago. I then picked up a never used Revo X Gen 4 from Heddon in 5.4:1 with a carbon fiber handle, to put on that crankin' rod. Also picked up some assorted dropshot tackle I was running low on - specifically the VMC spinshot hooks in 3 different sizes, from Bass Pro. Love these dropshot hooks. And a prop frog from LunkerHunt. Oh, and some more soft, floating frogs from Yum, since they were on sale for $2.19 a bag.

The week prior, I picked up a 13 Fishing Fate Black 2 7'1, MH, Fast, on sale for $60, instead of the normal $100. I picked up a Quantum Icon PT 6.3:1 on sale for $85, to pair with that, and made it my new chatter/spinnerbait rod.

Damn! That is some serious GAS!

#990 ·
Bassin' Ted said:
SmalliesNEyes said:
Bassin' Ted said:

Damn! That is some serious GAS!
Yeah, got hit hard by the GAS. On a good note, my bass arsenal is basically complete, now. I have a crankbait rod, a chatter/spinner rod, a jig/t-rig/c-rig rod, a jerkbait rod, and a couple of dropshot spinning rods(these get used for walleye applications, also). I only need a good froggin rod, and I'll have pretty much all my bases covered. Then I think I'll be happy with my bass gear. Maybe one more for standard topwater applications so I can always have a topwater tied on, but I used that Fate Black 2 the other day on Heidecke to chuck whopper ploppers up into flooded grass/cattails, and it performed just fine. So that other topwater rod isn't a necessity right now.

#992 · (Edited by Moderator)
Never tried a shudder bait till last weekend. Verdict: it's a winner. Runs higher than a chatter, by that I mean it doesnt sink quite so fast. Perfect for going over shallow weeds and it has an outstanding thump to its retrieve. Not a replacement for the chatter, as I believe the chatter will still have it's time and place for presentation, but a quality option over a lightweight chatter or spinnerbait.
IMG_20190529_40475.jpg

Next bait is the Double Down Plopper from BPS. They were %25 off the other day. Regular price is 8.99. Whopper Plopper and its $16.99 price point can get lost. Verdict: Total winner, bye bye whopper plopper.

IMG_20190529_46116.jpg

Attachments

#995 · (Edited by Moderator)
What do you do when you break a rod?
a) cuss a lot
b) learn from it so you don't do it again
c) upgrade the rod
d) all of the above

Answer: d

742 Dobyns.jpg

I will use this DX742 SF for tubes, swimbaits, and dropshot- basically whatever I feel is going to be the hot bite. I have a 702 and 792 Champion that I use for tubes and swimbaits. My DX741 is an unbelievable Ned Rig rod.

Also replenished some tubes, swimbaits, and jigs with a recent TW order.

Attachments

#999 ·
Rambler said:
Bassin' Ted said:
What do you do when you break a rod?
a) cuss a lot
b) learn from it so you don't do it again
c) upgrade the rod
d) all of the above

Answer: d
X2, except maybe c. :D
As time goes on, I have learned to just save myself time and get the high-end rod to start. I have so many rods and reels that I cannot realistically carry any more. And I'm not buying that many rods and reels, maybe one a season, so if I get one, go balls out. I bought a Dobyns Sierra last year to fill a niche. It's a 7.3 heavy that I use for big jigs, frogs, C-rigs. I already wish I had gotten the next series up in their lineup. That rod probably is going to go on sale. Fishing is the only thing I somewhat spend frivolously on so I'm okay with it.

#1,000 ·
Bassin' Ted said:
As time goes on, I have learned to just save myself time and get the high-end rod to start. I have so many rods and reels that I cannot realistically carry any more. And I'm not buying that many rods and reels, maybe one a season, so if I get one, go balls out. I bought a Dobyns Sierra last year to fill a niche. It's a 7.3 heavy that I use for big jigs, frogs, C-rigs. I already wish I had gotten the next series up in their lineup. That rod probably is going to go on sale. Fishing is the only thing I somewhat spend frivolously on so I'm okay with it.
This as with all things, is a relative matter. If I was like you, a tournament fisherman I would agree 100%. If I was a tournament fisherman my reels would be spooled with 100lb braid (if it exists).

But as a casual - only somewhat serious fisherman who drives a relatively small hatchback and likes to have room for my granddaughters I can't see the need for a Dobyns or other boutique rod that only comes in 1 piece. So "upgrading" becomes again, a relative thing. As when my Fenwick Silverhawk II snapped when I pulled a big bass out of Busse I "upgraded" (some might say downgraded) to a Daiwa Fuego 7' 2-piece rod. Up/downed again recently by picking up a Cabelas Fish Eagle 54. Again, a 7' 2-piece. And the only time I carry multiple rods is when I'm in my canoe & then it's only 2 - 1 for fishing the other for just in case & if I decide to do some frogging.

The good news is we live in a world at a time when there are so many options for so many uses & things.

#1,001 ·
Rambler said:
Bassin' Ted said:
This as with all things, is a relative matter. If I was like you, a tournament fisherman I would agree 100%. If I was a tournament fisherman my reels would be spooled with 100lb braid (if it exists).

But as a casual - only somewhat serious fisherman who drives a relatively small hatchback and likes to have room for my granddaughters I can't see the need for a Dobyns or other boutique rod that only comes in 1 piece. So "upgrading" becomes again, a relative thing. As when my Fenwick Silverhawk II snapped when I pulled a big bass out of Busse I "upgraded" (some might say downgraded) to a Daiwa Fuego 7' 2-piece rod. Up/downed again recently by picking up a Cabelas Fish Eagle 54. Again, a 7' 2-piece. And the only time I carry multiple rods is when I'm in my canoe & then it's only 2 - 1 for fishing the other for just in case & if I decide to do some frogging.

The good news is we live in a world at a time when there are so many options for so many uses & things.
100lb braid does exist, I have it on my musky rod. I dont think anyone uses more than 65lb for bass

St Croix makes 2 piece rods from the $80 Triumph all the way up to their $400 Legend Elite series

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.