Chicago Fishing Forum banner

SPF 50

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Peter Piper 
#1 ·
Had a dermatologist appointment yesterday. She burned 2 spots of basil cell carcinoma off my face. Gave me more advice about not going out in the sun too much. Yeah, right.

Let's be careful out there.

#2 ·
You and I are about the same vintage. Never used sunscreen as a kid or teenager. I too have had some spots removed already. I hate using chemicals, but sparingly use of good sunscreen is a great prevention. I have seen some folks my age have to go through some serious pain to remove a spot. A word to the wise, prevention.

#3 ·
Agree. Had a few sunburns (in my teens and 20s).

Now as an adult near 60, I'm very conscious of the sun. I use sunscreen, wear long sleeves a lot, especially fishing, wear neck protection, wear a hat, etc etc.

No skin issues so far. However, I'm frequently teased about my "Chicago tan" (i.e., pale skin), but the alternative isn't worth it.

#5 ·
After a life in the outdoors - 5 summers in the MI woods back in the 50s, 4 years on the beach with the Chicago Lifeguard Service in the 60s, years of hiking, fishing, backpacking - most without sunblock, I've been having crap burned off & cut out for at least the past 15 years. Amazing that nothing has gotten really bad yet.

A few years back we lost a dear friend to cancer. He was an officer in the US Army Signal Corps - spent lots of time at White Sands. Then got an advanced degree at U of MI and taught high school in VT. Loved by all who knew him - a truly unique guy. He got a spot on his foot that he ignored for quite some time. They wound up cutting off all his toes except the big one on his right foot. Still was an absolute hiking fiend after that - could blow my doors off in spite of the fact that he was 10 years older. 2 years later it turned out the cancer had spread throughout his body. His entire town went to his memorial.

I'm not saying sunblock would have saved him but then again...

Glad to know you all take precautions. And you younger guys who read this - learn from your elder's mistakes. You can't live long enough to make them all yourselves.

#6 ·
I've recently had 4 spots with Actinic keratosis or pre-cancerous growths. I used Picato and I don't know how the shit works but it's amazing. It's wicked strong and even more wicked expensive but you dab and spread a tiny amount around and it eats the effected area and doesn't touch the good cells. Phil and Woo saw a pic when it was doing its eating thing and it's not pretty but once the scab falls off it's like baby soft skin.

Im outside every day, if not for work then for play. I've started taking skin protection very seriously but not with sunscreens, can't stand them but rather covering up with the new tech materials. UV masks, arm sleeeves (w/T-shirts) gloves (when not wearing the sleeves that cover my hands) and of course long sleeve UV shirts. I still need to find some ultra light pants, if anyone has any suggestions.

#7 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
I still need to find some ultra light pants, if anyone has any suggestions.
Picked up 2 pairs of Duluth trading Co.'s "dry on the fly" flex cargo pants 3 weeks ago @ their oshkosh location. Absolutely thrilled with them. I believe they give them a spf rating of 50. Lightweight, very cool, non-binding & durable/well made. Had been looking for a long pants option for the summer heat in FL. Was reluctant to spend the coin without seeing 1st. Any of the other brands I tried (columbia, ex offico?)seem to get shredded rather quickly. The Duluth Co's is easily way better than any other option I have tried. They put em on sale a few times per year & even so they still aint cheap, but not as painful as regular price.

#8 ·
I'm not sure & remain unconvinced about clothes with SPF ratings. When I was a lifeguard when we needed to cover our legs (like all the time we weren't in the water) we wore white Levis (remember them?). The Lifeguard Service mandated 'white ducks' - if you wore any other color you were punished. Accordingly I believe fishing pants of any light color & material will keep your sticks from burning.

A have a number of pairs of light weight convertible pants made by Columbia, Eddie Bauer and REI. Haven't had any probs with them "shredding' as cletedius says. Bought them all on on eBay due to my AACB membership & I'm a common size.

#9 ·
cletedius said:
Picked up 2 pairs of Duluth trading Co.'s "dry on the fly" flex cargo pants 3 weeks ago @ their oshkosh location. Absolutely thrilled with them.
I have some other clothes by Duluth (bought at the store in Downers Grove at Butterfield and Finley. Really like everything I have bought. Will look into the ones you mentioned.

Rambler:
Agree with you, if you wear some clothes, I think you get reasonable protection.

"And you younger guys who read this - learn from your elder's mistakes"
x2

Heddon:
Glad you are taking precautions. Noticed the change in some of your pics.

I always wear a hat. (Baldness will teach you that - sunburned head is painful). I have been wearing some old cotton pants and sometimes long sleeved cotton shirt. If its too hot, just wet them down some with river or lake water - swamp cooler effect. Evaporative cooling.

My dad is now 98. Has had several nasty's removed. Worked as a carpenter and a painter. I hope I don't have to go through as much as he has (but hope to live that long and still fish). I have a pic (but not able to post) of his latest surgery - for a small spot, they had to cut from near the corner of his eye to close to his ear. Looks a bit like Frankenstein. Took several months to heal since his skin is so thin, due to age.

#10 ·
badger75 said:
Rambler:
Agree with you, if you wear some clothes, I think you get reasonable protection.

"And you younger guys who read this - learn from your elder's mistakes"
x2

Heddon:
Glad you are taking precautions. Noticed the change in some of your pics.

I always wear a hat. (Baldness will teach you that - sunburned head is painful). I have been wearing some old cotton pants and sometimes long sleeved cotton shirt. If its too hot, just wet them down some with river or lake water - swamp cooler effect. Evaporative cooling.

My dad is now 98. Has had several nasty's removed. Worked as a carpenter and a painter. I hope I don't have to go through as much as he has (but hope to live that long and still fish). I have a pic (but not able to post) of his latest surgery - for a small spot, they had to cut from near the corner of his eye to close to his ear. Looks a bit like Frankenstein. Took several months to heal since his skin is so thin, due to age.
Hats are an imperative. I keep 3 in my car - an old ball cap that's been in the BWCA and the Caribbean & all sorts of places in between, a boonie hat, and a super light weight nylon ball cap for times when you need the protection but also need lots of ventilation (like the last week or so).

I've also become a fan of long sleeve, light weight, breathable fishing shirts.

#11 ·
Thanks for the tips on pants guys! Rambler regular cloths do have similar SPF ratings, it's just marketing shit but the newer fabrics are usually much lighter in weight and most times quick drying. So far my best purchase on this topic have been the cooling sleeves/gloves because one...they were cheap and two I can now wear any t-shirt and be protected on top

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.