Chicago Fishing Forum banner

How's your GAS lately?

513K views 1K replies 83 participants last post by  joetrain 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm GASin' bad...not even Tums can help. As I mentioned in a previous post, my gear acquisition syndrome has been in full beast mode since late fall and I've acquired everything from a new tackle bag (barn) to a fish finder for the yak and everything in between. Here are some of my spoils...I went feather treble crazy on my hard baits and it's been good to me, especially on the suspending jerkbaits, gives it this realistic action. Also picked up a heavier combo (Lexa 300HS w 7' Mojo Bass HF) to throw larger baits up to 1.5 OZ. It adds to my Mojo/Lexa lineup handsomely =D

... now if it was only spring ...

0115160950b.jpg

0122160926a.jpg

0122160925.jpg

0119161807a.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#1,003 ·
Not a lot but it was a lot. Slow evolution of big baits continues as does the love affair with the cute but deadly Dark Sleepers. I rarely fish without one rigged up. Hat was not what I ordered but it ended up being a good mistake. I ordered a vented hot weather model. This one is non-mesh, waterproof with Gortex windstopper and a sateen inner liner and will be a nice addition to the fall & winter headwear

Attachments

#1,004 ·
FloridaRigger said:
100lb braid does exist, I have it on my musky rod. I dont think anyone uses more than 65lb for bass

St Croix makes 2 piece rods from the $80 Triumph all the way up to their $400 Legend Elite series
Guess I should have known. 65 lb line for bass? How about bazookas for whitetail?
I don't consider St. Croix a boutique rod maker. Thanks anyway.

Woohoodude11 said:
I use 120 lb. for my Deeper Sonar, and it does go heavier.
Why don't you just use nylon rope?

#1,005 ·
Rambler said:
Guess I should have known. 65 lb line for bass? How about bazookas for whitetail?
I don't consider St. Croix a boutique rod maker. Thanks anyway.
It is not really about the breaking strength for braid but the line diameter. I have never broken braid on any fish even going down to 10 lb on spinning rigs. 65 lb braid is 16 lb mono diameter which is just about right for a baitcaster. I go mostly 50 lb but I do have 65 lb on my frog rig. The thicker stuff is easier to pick out backlashes.

#1,008 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
waterproof with Gortex
"You might get soaked but dammit at least the top of your head is bone dry!!!"
Rambler said:
Why don't you just use nylon rope?
I snap casted it on 30 lb. braid already. Just wanted to end any possibility of that happening again :lol: That thing is 4 ounces so I can only imagine the pulling strength it generates on a cast.
Bassin' Ted said:
I do have 65 lb on my frog rig.
x2, 65 does well at cutting pad stems when a bass wraps around em. Haven't lost a fish in the weeds yet.

#1,009 ·
Aux Pleins said:
Thats some serious Battery GAS. About $600 worth..
Yeah, the blue tops are pricey. Got a $50 off code for each battery online at advanced auto zone. 22 back for my old cores. Total ended up being about 480 which is not so bad.

My last set of AGMs were already a year old when I bought the boat and I got 5 good years out of them so I cant complain.

#1,013 ·
big jay said:
FishinMatt said:
Well, blew a bearing on the way home from southern Wisco today. Hopefully that is all it is and the spindle/axle is not screwed. Supposed to be leaving for a 2 week trip Saturday so that really blows.
It's better to happen now than while you're on your way on your trip.
Your absolutely right. First half of trip is to central Wisconsin and second half on MN Candian border. Regardless if my trip gets delayed, it much better then being on the road, fully packed, with 2 kids in the car. What a nightmare that would have been. Anywho, back to the GAS.......

#1,016 ·
HEDDONFROG said:
Is that the Regal LT? If so can you elaborate on "Wow?" lol I'm guessing you caught them on that Walmart $29.99 sale?
LT-2500-XH to be specific. It's amazingly light - should have expected it since it's a 2500 size. The reel it replaces was a 3000 size & the Pfluegers I generally use are 3500s.

Also, it casts a mile mated with my new Daiwa Fuego rod. First couple of casts the buzzbait landed on shore. Took a bit of getting used to. Very smooth - maybe smoother than my Pfluegers which is saying something. Of course this could be because it's new.

Last, the finish on this reel is unlike any other reel I've owned. Under some light it appears purple. Under other light it's clearly green. Sometimes some parts look purple while others look green. I've seen this on custom cars but never on a reel.

Did not buy it at Walmart. I refuse to shop at Walmart. A detailed explanation of my reasons would probably result in some troll accusing me of politicizing this thread. :lol:

#1,017 ·
Rambler said:
Last, the finish on this reel is unlike any other reel I've owned. Under some light it appears purple. Under other light it's clearly green. Sometimes some parts look purple while others look green. I've seen this on custom cars but never on a reel.
Sounds a lot like that douchebag Mike Iaconelli's line of reels/rods with Abu Garcia.

Attachments

#1,018 ·
Rambler said:
HEDDONFROG said:
Is that the Regal LT? If so can you elaborate on "Wow?" lol I'm guessing you caught them on that Walmart $29.99 sale?
LT-2500-XH to be specific. It's amazingly light - should have expected it since it's a 2500 size. The reel it replaces was a 3000 size & the Pfluegers I generally use are 3500s.

Also, it casts a mile mated with my new Daiwa Fuego rod. First couple of casts the buzzbait landed on shore. Took a bit of getting used to. Very smooth - maybe smoother than my Pfluegers which is saying something. Of course this could be because it's new.

Did not buy it at Walmart. I refuse to shop at Walmart. A detailed explanation of my reasons would probably result in some troll accusing me of politicizing this thread. :lol:
Thanks for the details Scott.

#1,023 ·
billebob5 said:
Funny you say that Ted. My xi5 took a crap on the chain yesterday. I'm thinking it's just the battery to the remote. Funny thing was both the remote and the foot pedal wouldn't work. Maybe bad batteries on both? It had everything else. GPS, good power, etc.
Are they synced up? I lost the sync one time and neither worked. Quick call to Motorguide and they got me going again. IIRC correctly, you just hold down both the anchor and run buttons when you start up the motor. I had launched on Lake Michigan and motored to my first spot, put the TM down, and nothing. Nothing with the remote either. What a waste of a day.

Batteries in the pedal last a LONG time- easily a season. You might want to pick up a replacement spring kit for the pedal. As a bass guy I am using my pedal constantly and a spring broke in my 3rd year of use. The 2 replacement springs cost less than $3 but the pedal is useless until you get them and you'll have to order them. I ordered an extra pair and keep them in my boat. I love my Xi5 overall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.